Soloist & Dinky bodies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soloist & Dinky bodies

I was reading a bit on Jackson guitars that landed me on Wikipedia. There was a statement that the soloist and the dinky shared the same body except the soloist was a neck-through and the dinky was a bolt on. I don't have a strat or a dinky to compare my soloist to. Can someone with these guitars chime in? Also, how does the Body size on the new USA Charvels compare with a Soloist? How does the body size of the new charvel size up with the Fender strat? I would like to see comparison pics if anyone could post them.

Thank you in advance!

A dinky body is more or less the same as a soloist (7/8 the size of a strat was always the popular belief) but if I remember correctly, the cutaways are slightly different because of differing neck joins.

The Charvel body is basically a strat body albeit with 'harder' contours round the edge of the body which reduces the 'rounded' look somewhat.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

One of the reasons that I have started this thread is because of the 2002 Charvel Traditional that I have. It supposedly has the Dinky Body. http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM02/Content/Charvel/PR/New-Charvel-Models.html
      The horns are shorter than the soloist. From the recessed floyd route to the end of the body is only 2 1/4" long. On the soloist the measurement is 3 1/2"

Last edited by phill_up; 09-01-2008, 06:49 PM.

Comment

+1
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

There was some chatter a little while ago on here about the Soloists actually being bigger than the Dinky. There was also a picture of the two guitars side by side displaying that difference. But before anyone takes it to heart, there probably should be more people with different Soloists and Dinkies from different eras to help provide info to this topic.

Update: Despite the picture that I saw that showed a Soloist bigger than a Dinky, I went to compare my Soloist to a couple of the Dinkies I have (Dinky STD, Dinky Reverse, and a Charvel 3DR) and all of the bodies were the same size. So, in my mind, that kind of answers the original question, however it brings up a new one. Were the Soloist bodies downsized at some point?
          Last edited by Tekky; 08-31-2008, 10:17 PM.
          Occupy JCF

Comment

Tekky, thank you sir for posting. I hope even more people can give some input. I have a soloist and and a Japanese 2002-ish "charvel traditional" that is a 22 fret. To the best of my knowledge the charvel is not a student guitar here is a link to it.

if the Soloist is the same size body as the dinky, then the charvel is smaller than the dinky. I Also had a Charvel "model-A" from the same era, but the body was the same size as my soloist.

Comment

My 86 soloist is the same size as my 93 Fusion H-H, 92 Dinky XL and 89 SD plated USA Jackson.Great question tho'
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

uh oh, the forum is eating text!

Comment

Originally posted by Tekky View Post
                  Update: Despite the picture that I saw that showed a Soloist bigger than a Dinky, I went to compare my Soloist to a couple of the Dinkies I have (Dinky STD, Dinky Reverse, and a Charvel 3DR) and all of the bodies were the same size. So, in my mind, that kind of answers the original question, however it brings up a new one. Were the Soloist bodies downsized at some point?
                  I don't know, but I think some size difference of the horns may be due to the fact in some having 22 frets compared to others with 24 frets.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I remember I asked this before and someone said they are the same size. 24 fretter to a 24 fretter atleast.
                    Gibson SG Standard
                    Jackson DK2M Dinky
                    Silvertone S615 Acoustic from the 60's
                    Roland Micro Cube
                    Marshall MG100DFX

Comment

Originally posted by phill_up View Post
                      Tekky, thank you sir for posting. I hope even more people can give some input. I have a soloist and and a Japanese 2002-ish "charvel traditional" that is a 22 fret. To the best of my knowledge the charvel is not a student guitar here is a link to it.

if the Soloist is the same size body as the dinky, then the charvel is smaller than the dinky. I Also had a Charvel "model-A" from the same era, but the body was the same size as my soloist.
                      Well, you're comparing apples to apples for sure. I've always maintained that the Charvel import series from 2001-2002 were basically Charvel badged Jacksons. Everyone has their opinions, mine is that a Charvel is a strat body with 22 frets. Those imports were dinky bodies with 24 frets. To me, that's a Jackson.

In regards to horn size, I may have been eyeballing them but the 3DR (the first Dinky body) seemed to have shorter horns than their Dinky bretheren. Again, that's just what my brain is recalling, I can double check that tomorrow. (it's late and time to go to bed)
                      Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        I don't know, but I think some size difference of the horns may be due to the fact in some having 22 frets compared to others with 24 frets.
                        My comparison earlier was 24 to 24 and 22. The 3DR is a 22 fret and it was the same size as my Soloist.
                        Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by phill_up View Post

In regards to the 2001-2002 import Charvels, I have always maintained that those weren't Charvels, but Charvel-badged Jacksons. Everyone has their own opinion, but to me, a Charvel should be a strat body and 22 frets.

So at least you were comparing apples to apples,
                          Occupy JCF

Comment

I've said this before (many times), and I'll say it again...

22 fret Soloist = 22 fret Dinky
                            24 fret Soloist = 24 fret Dinky

Basically, the difference is just neck-through vs. bolt-on.

Sure, there will be some random exceptions, as well as some minor changes to the bodies through the years. But that is the general rule, and it applies to the vast majority of J/Cs.

Comment

Clarification: I'm only speaking about USA guitars above.

Comment

Working...
                              X