To: FMIC for some ideas for next NAMM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To: FMIC for some ideas for next NAMM

I know the guys at FMIC read this board and I hope they see this thread.

I am giving you guys some free advice that I think would make Jackson super awesome for the next NAMM show.

1. STOP with all the Skulls and Vertigo inducing graphics! Now we have had about 10 years of it and it is too played out. No offence to Mr. Learn or the other great artists but please read my next suggestions for what would be something new and awesome.

2. Do some comic book covers and get Marvel or DC to give you guys permission to do a one off for NAMM. That would be awesome!

3. Keep it simple and do some string thru versions of the regular King V and Kelly or even a warrior with some nice quilted tops with matching headstocks. I like what Dean has done with some of Dave M's Vs for example.

4. How about something totally new and different like a transparent top with hot rod flames painted on top. I actually am having a quote made out for a Charvel with this concept.

I am not talking about see thru natural flames. I am talking about actual painted flames on top of a natual finish.

5. I like alot of ideas that have come from Charvel Namm this summer regarding some of the nice tops put those on some Jacksons.

6. Get permission to do a few copyrighted images like a Budweiser guitar or something else thats cool that is not skull related as a one off Namm piece. I know production guitars would require royalties.

7. No more naked chicks on guitars.

See now thats some 100,000 dollar a year advice I gave to you guys for free and I am availble to take a position in your custom shop any time you want to hire me for design plus research and development. I got some bitchin ideas regarding ergonomics plus body design and more that I aint giving away for free.

So let the flood gates open what sayeth the JCF.

Do you agree or am I totally off my rocker and should I look into some medication?
    Last edited by AK47; 09-19-2008, 10:03 AM.

I think comic book and beer guitars are no better than skulls.

My suggestion would be to find a way to make the US-made guitars more affordable. I'd really like to get an SL2H, but I don't think I could ever forgive myself if something dented or chipped a $2000 instrument.

Also, I'm curious how Schecter can put abalone inlays and binding with a nice quilt top and still sell it for under $700, yet Jackson does those things and it's instantly $2500+. There's a reason that up-and-coming guitarists aren't playing Jacksons.
    Scott

Comment

Yeah, Im kinda tired of the same old graphics myself. Some comic book covers would be really cool.
      Guitars:
      '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
      '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
      '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
      Amp:
      VOX AD30VT

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
        I think comic book and beer guitars are no better than skulls.

My suggestion would be to find a way to make the US-made guitars more affordable. I'd really like to get an SL2H, but I don't think I could ever forgive myself if something dented or chipped a $2000 instrument.

Also, I'm curious how Schecter can put abalone inlays and binding with a nice quilt top and still sell it for under $700, yet Jackson does those things and it's instantly $2500+. There's a reason that up-and-coming guitarists aren't playing Jacksons.
        First comic book covers and beer logos are at least different than the same old variation of generic skull design done over and over in various themes and colors.

Second I think Jackson should really focus on nice tops and see thru finishes instead of graphics period.

Third Schecter can put out what they do because its made in Korea not the USA.

With Jackson price increases the CS is still way more affordable than most domestic companies in the USA.

The reason up and coming guitarist are not playing Jacksons is the designs and themes are dated and they need to compete with the current market. Look at how Dean is keeping up with the PRS Gibson Fender craze. I am not a huge Dean fan but they are not afraid to try and do new things.

Comment

Comics and beer logos and any other liscensed image are out of bounds unfortunately. No offense taken as I get sick of doing all of the same old shit all of the time too. But I can tell you that we are working on some very cool stuff that has no skulls. This year I will not be sharing pics in advance.
          Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
          http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
            Comics and beer logos and anyother liscensed image are out of bounds unfortunately. No offense taken as I get sick of doing the it all of the same old shit all of the time too. But I can tell you that we are working on some very cool stuff that has no skulls. This year I will not be sharing pics in advance.

I am aware liscensed images are out of bounds unless you get permission to do a one off. Like neilli did with the Ninja Turtles Rhoads.

FMIC should have no problem getting permission for a one time build for NAMM.

I really think copyrighted images do help people identify with guitars and it does help sell them.

ETA: just wanted to add is that I am aware royalties are due if a copyrighted image is used on a Production guitar but a one off can be done for a small fee or sometimes free if the company beleives it will promote the product in a positive way.

I am talking about one off Namm guitar ideas not that they should go into production with Budweiser guitars.
            Last edited by AK47; 09-19-2008, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Medication wouldn't hurt. ...j/k!

1. Agree about the death-themed graphic schemes. Talented art, for sure - just never been a fan of it. We need more old school, stuff, but with some modern spins.

2. Comic book covers? Kinda lame, IMHO, but to each his own. I guess I was just never into comic books as a kid. I know some guys will love this, though. Licensing is an issue, so it probably won't get done just because of that.

3. String-through KVs and Kellys would be killer. I disagree about "keep it simple", though. They should make some limited production models, with premium features. Mahogany bodies and necks (3 piece), high-grade quilt-tops with aniline dye, exclusive solid colors, and body binding. IMHO, string-through guitars need mahogany - tonally, the standard alder/maple combo is way too bright with a TOM bridge. Price them in-between USA Select models and custom shops.

4. Flame-top with hot rod flames painted on top? Could be cool, depending on the design. Might be visual overkill, though. Definitely will be expensive - it involves the upgrages for both a flame-top and graphic.

5. "I like alot of ideas that have come from Charvel Namm this summer regarding some of the nice tops put those on some Jacksons." I disagree. Loved the Charvel aqua run - just hated the black hardware and direct-mount PUs, though. It's like they did that just to be different from the Jackson line. Great general concept, poor details.

6. "Get permission to do a few copyrighted images like a Budweiser guitar or something else". Licensing again. You'll eat up more in lawyer time than the cost of the actual graphic itself.

7. "No more naked chicks on guitars." Agreed. These are so lame it's not even funny.

All JMHO - to each his own.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                Medication wouldn't hurt. ...j/k!

1. Agree about the death-themed graphic schemes. Talented art, for sure - just never been a fan of it. We need more old school, stuff, but with some modern spins.

2. Comic book covers? Kinda lame, IMHO, but to each his own. I guess I was just never into comic books as a kid. I know some guys will love this, though. Licensing is an issue, so it probably won't get done just because of that.

3. String-through KVs and Kellys would be killer. I disagree about "keep it simple", though. They should make some limited production models, with premium features. Mahogany bodies and necks (3 piece), high-grade quilt-tops with aniline dye, exclusive solid colors, and body binding. IMHO, string-through guitars need mahogany - tonally, the standard alder/maple combo is way too bright with a TOM bridge. Price them in-between USA Select models and custom shops.

4. Flame-top with hot rod flames painted on top? Could be cool, depending on the design. Might be visual overkill, though. Definitely will be expensive - it involves the upgrages for both a flame-top and graphic.

5. "I like alot of ideas that have come from Charvel Namm this summer regarding some of the nice tops put those on some Jacksons." I disagree. Loved the Charvel aqua run - just hated the black hardware and direct-mount PUs, though. It's like they did that just to be different from the Jackson line. Great general concept, poor details.

6. "Get permission to do a few copyrighted images like a Budweiser guitar or something else". Licensing again. You'll eat up more in lawyer time than the cost of the actual graphic itself.

7. "No more naked chicks on guitars." Agreed. These are so lame it's not even funny.

All JMHO - to each his own.
                1.&2. I would rather see a shift to natural tops than more graphics but I do want to throw that comic book cover idea out there.

3. I guess "Keep it simple" was a bad term to use regarding the natural finished guitars but I have seen some stuff for NAMM with a natural finish get overkilled with too much bling.
                i.e. Korina KV2T awesome idea but then they Relic it?!

4. I wanted to do a Charvel in see thru black flamed maple strat with hot rod green flames and blue outline pin stripes painted on top. My friend made a mock up and it looked bad ass on a strat.

5.Yes I hated the direct mount pickups and black hardware too. It was a step in the right direction though I do not want to turn this into a bashing thread so I gave them some credit.

6. See my prior post as I think it can be possible to do a one off copyrighted image by just asking.

7. We Agree on that.
                Last edited by AK47; 09-19-2008, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Well, it's one thing to ask for super-expensive one-offs, but who's going to lay down the money for them?

I'm not impressed by the "Private Stock" stuff that only 3 people can afford, and 2 of them don't want. They look good in a builder's portfolio or in a non-player's collection, but an unplayed guitar makes about as much sense as a car that is never driven. Meaning none.

Comic book images: Wolverine, Superman, Batman. Those are the three primary characters that sell as graphics. Unfortunately, they've also been played out.
                  The Anime thing is nice, but Double-E cups on wafish bodies is too cliche.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                    Well, it's one thing to ask for super-expensive one-offs, but who's going to lay down the money for them?

I'm not impressed by the "Private Stock" stuff that only 3 people can afford, and 2 of them don't want. They look good in a builder's portfolio or in a non-player's collection, but an unplayed guitar makes about as much sense as a car that is never driven. Meaning none.

Comic book images: Wolverine, Superman, Batman. Those are the three primary characters that sell as graphics. Unfortunately, they've also been played out.
                    The Anime thing is nice, but Double-E cups on wafish bodies is too cliche.
                    At least I am throwing out some suggestions of what I would want to see at NAMM.

So I take it you are cool with the same old same old. Skulls and vertigo?

I cant wait to see Mike's new designs though.

Comment

I prefer the "Graphics" that don't really have any images. I think painting pictures on guitars looks almost as silly as putting stickers on them but that's just me.

Pinstripes, painted bevels, badass metal flake colors, etc are all cool.

Give me a holoflake soloist with abalone sharkfins and I'll be happy!

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
                        Comics and beer logos and any other liscensed image are out of bounds unfortunately. No offense taken as I get sick of doing all of the same old shit all of the time too. But I can tell you that we are working on some very cool stuff that has no skulls. This year I will not be sharing pics in advance.
                        What's up, Mike. I saw you on Unique Whips the other day. Killer Hearse! I said to my girfriend, "Hon, LOOK, I know who that guy is, that's Mike Learn." She was like, "Yeah, whatever", and went back to what she was doing.:ROTF:
                        Scott
                        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I agree with Newc's "private stock" sentiments - it's cool to pick the guitars up for 2.5k a year later, but 5k and above just limits the audience so much that they just sit at Fullers I understand that some 'show stoppers' are needed, but to have a booth full of std Select guitars with expensive graphics does not stop a show, at least for me

I appreciate the show guitars are spec'd to sell the CS, and to truly 'represent' A: what the CS can do (i.e. that's why no copyrighted graphics, cos it's not typical), and B: for the USA Select instruments, what the production specs are.

However, I'd like to see some 'affordable' customs with distinctly different specs to the USA Select guitars. And the revivial of some 'old school' models....

For example:

- Single hum Soloist, with ideally a non-recessed trem and sharkfins. Solid colour would be fine.
                          - H/S Soloist. As above.
                          - Maple boards (Charvel 'identity' be damned )
                          - Neck thru single hum star with SL2H specs, or maybe single hum
                          - Phil Collen Archtop (PC1 'identity' be damned )
                          - Solid colour XTRR
                          - KV2T with Jackson headstock (actually, this is more of a production idea)

And also, I'd like to see Jackson playing ESP at their own game - why not make a std black SL2H with a Kahler, 2 EMGs, 2vol/1 tone and an EMG SPC? And then maybe a good urban camo, digi camo etc. And a Star with similar specs to the ESP rip-off. etc etc
                          Last edited by neilli; 09-19-2008, 10:14 AM.
                          Popular is not the same as good
                          Rare is not the same as valuable
                          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I would like to see some Kahler show up besides the ones I order. Like a classic reissue series but I know there is a niche market for them and Slayer fans.

So when I said keep it simple a great and affordable NAMM guitar would be:

A standard KV2 with string thru bridge and a quilted maple top and headstock in amber finish like the top on Dave Mustaines doubleneck Jackson was finished. Black hardware.

+1 on more XTRRs

Comment

The problem I see, is it doesn't matter what the guitar is painted like, it's still going to be the same old guitars over and over again. Jackson needs to get some more shapes out there. You can't tell me that with all the talent over there, someone can't come up with at least another body shape. Even if it's just production versions of hard to get guitars, (Death angel, death kelly, Star, whatever)

I have no problems with the skulls and stuff, I still like that sort of stuff. But it would be nice to see a burnt cherry burst kelly or rhoads with body binding and maybe gold hardware (like a LP custom), they certainly need to change up their game some, and not just at the NAMM show.
                              In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Working...
                              X