Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me id a charvel

hi guys first post!

I need your help id'ing a Charvel. It looks like a model 6 except the top is carved, it has a thin lacquer like finish and 2 humbuckers and a toothpaste logo. I have a model 6 and I never saw a model 6 ever look like that, but I have seen a 750xl that looks like that. So I am thinking it is probably a 650xl or 750xl, unless they made a model 6 with the toothpaste logo and HH instead of SSH?

Anyways what is this worth in good condition? I don't have pics sorry but I figure you guys will know more about it here from the description.

Edited: Apparently this forum uses html formatting.. Also it is a set neck or neckthru can't tell which
    Last edited by Floating Seeds; 09-23-2008, 06:16 PM.

It's a 750XL, take a measurement from nut to bridge. 24.75" = 750XL, anything else = not 750XL.

Comment

oh yeah, and reverse sharkys

Comment

It's best to search E-bay closed auctions for an idea of what they've been selling for lately.

In the end, it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

They are rare, only made one year I think.

Some complain about the tone being bright, others just love 'em.

Good luck.

"Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
        --floydkramer

Comment

Welcome!
          "Dear Dr. Bill,
          I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Yep, 750XL. They've got set necks. What color is it? Apparently the ones that have a solid color finish have basswood bodies and not mahogany like the ones with a transparent finish.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

^take my advice, and respect his authoritar ^

"Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
              --floydkramer

Comment

yeah I am almost 100% it is a 750xl but the dude insisted it was a model 6, unless he realizes I was right when I told him it was a 750xl and raises the price (who knows) I think it is worth $500.

Comment

The Model 6 has a guitar logo, regular sharkfins and is H/S/S with no carved top. The 750XL indeed has a toothpaste logo, carved top with reverse sharkfins and H/H. They're both great guitars. If you can snag it for $500, great deal, go for it. If the guy is clueless about what it is, that's his problem.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    Yep, 750XL. They've got set necks. What color is it? Apparently the ones that have a solid color finish have basswood bodies and not mahogany like the ones with a transparent finish.
                    idk it is like bluish laquer think like strat sunburst.. but blue and swirly weirdness I don't recall entirely I was just looking around and I saw a neck thru charvel with a toothpaste logo and then later I was like.. wait.. a model 6?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post

It's best to search E-bay closed auctions for an idea of what they've been selling for lately.
                      Thanks Problem is none are available on Ebay to look at, they are pretty rare from what I have read and supposed to be the premo import guitar jackson ever made, the only reason I will shell out that kind of money for a guitar. It'd be cool in a way to own one.

Comment

Maybe his one is a tran purple finish? Never seen one myself. PLaying wise, if you are used to a 6, the 750 won't take too long to adjust to. They play beautifull,y as you would expect. A real great quality guitar. I got mine plus an 80Watt amplifier from a guy on Ebay, for £400. He drove all the way (a LONG way) to my house to hand it over. He wanted to see who it went to, and he got a bit emotional handing it over. That's how good they are...

The av. price seems to be about 500 and above, with most buy it nows about 600-800...but one went recently for about 900 or so I think? Just depends on how bad someone wants it...! Good luck if you decide to buy, they are lovely instruments.
                        http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

heres a 750XL. Looks like what you're describing.
                          Gil
                          P.S. yes it's mine and no it's not for sale.
                          Last edited by JACKSONFREAK; 09-23-2008, 08:35 PM.

Comment

yep that is it, but i recall it being quite dark and what looked like blue or green tones on the wood almost like swirly with the wood grain. Idk i kinda am color blind so idk what it was really it was dark and cool looking but it was the toothpaste logo I recalled that made me call back because I only past over it thinkig it was rather cool but also $500 and like $500 so I moved on without thinking too much I was busy haggling with him to reduce a Kramer down lol. Really cool guitar imho, I hope he doesn't mark the price up because $500 is the most I'll pay for a geetar. I only got into Charvels by accident because I keep finding them really cheap and they play like mo-fos and feel way better than the Ibanez guitars I've played.

Comment

It could be a dark trans color finish with a quilted or figured maple top. Some of them have really nice tops. Mine is kinda plain until light hits it just right then grain pops ya in the face and asks for a beer. i know im lame but im tired.
                              Gil

Comment

Working...
                              X