X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skorb View Post
    nothing feels or plays better.

it's the necks and the jumbo frets.

plus I just favor the more classic look/designs on Charvels rather than the more metal push-the-edge designs on Jacksons.

they were the first non-pickguarded strats. that alone is super cool and blazing a new path.
    A lot of us (like me) weren't around when Charvel USA first came out in the 70's / 80's. Today, no one gives a second glance to a rear-routed strat body, but back then I guess it was very original. Also, today jumbo frets are fairly common, but I guess back then there weren't many. I can't imagine a world with just vintage fretwire

Comment

I always go back to this - when I was just a wee boy starting out, an older friend had two matching '86 Model 4's (black and white). He told me they were the best guitars in the world - and he had one of everything. Since that day, I dreamed of the chance to own a Charvel (he even explained that Charvels were bolt-ons and Jacksons were neck-throughs - so let it be written).

However, between then and now, the dark days of grunge appeared, and lo and behold you couldn't find a pointy anything and I certainly wouldn't play anything pointy. Then, in the year of our lord 2004, I found a blue spray painted Model 4 in a crappy music shop in Hoboken, NJ (you know the one), and, with a 9V stolen from a Danelectro effects pedal, fired her up and she sang so sweet. $125 out the door (including the 9V). Oh sweet Khaler perfection!

Days and weeks passed. Cans of rubbing compound... rubbed... revealing the beautiful ferrari red goodness.

Then I replaced the red body with a white pearl body which was in much nicer shape - and got rid of the stock pickups for some EMGs which sounded a heck of a lot better - but oh man, my first Charvel.

What was the question?
      Last edited by Grandturk; 10-03-2008, 10:45 AM.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

I've never played a USA Charvel, but I can tell you why I stick with Jackson - the neck.
        Scott

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
          nothing feels or plays better.

it's the necks and the jumbo frets.

plus I just favor the more classic look/designs on Charvels rather than the more metal push-the-edge designs on Jacksons.

they were the first non-pickguarded strats. that alone is super cool and blazing a new path.
          ** I agree...but i have to also put GMW in this same level of greatness.
          Insane playability... perfect neck. By far my 2 favorites are my GMW's
          followed closely by the Charvel HRF.
          Last edited by Robert Burns; 10-15-2008, 05:26 AM.

Comment

The looks, the neck, the Floyd. I've had my Fusion Special for 4 years now and it's my fave out of the three electrics I own. Charvel/Jackson necks are the smoothest by far.
            8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

Comment

I remember The heyday of Thrash/Death Metal in the late 80's-early 90's.EVERYONE was playing Char/Jacks.I had a Purple(I have NO idea why I choose that color)Yamaha RGX 110(It had one pickup,like the Model 2) it even though it was nice(To a beginner),One guys Burgandy Mist Charvel Model 2 at a "Jam session" back in the late 80's(Who is now in a Famous band) just felt like it was meant for ME. I remembering in 1989 taking my Dad to a non-defunct Music store here in Omaha,and picking up a Model 2 and telling him I want this soo bad.He looked at the price tag,,looked at me and told me "Keep dreaming,,,There is NO WAY I could afford this!! You need a Job!!!!" but he was nice enough to let me play her for awhile and squeeze out some Death Angel,Slayer,S.O.D.Exodus(I knew ALOT of those riffs back then) etc before I had to hang her back up. Dreaming through the "Musicians Friends" cats,dreaming about the Model 2,became a Obsession for this guitar,and after many Yamaha's,a Charvette,etc I am the proud owner of one!! It feels like it is for ME! The neck,just everything! It is like a Old T-Shirt,it just feels right,in all the right places.
              HIGHLY MODDED Peavey Ultra Plus 120
              Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt Amp
              (2)Vader 2x12 Cabs
              Late 80's-early 90's Ibanez Tubescreamer
              Boss TU-2
              2005 Jackson SLSMG Soloist
              1986 Black Cherry Charvel Model 4
              1988 Blue Charvel Model 3DR

Comment

Ever since seeing Warren DeMartini jump through the ceiling in the round and round video...I was hooked. My teacher told me about Charvels and even had a few.(John McCarthy) From the moment that I played one, I was hooked!

Twenty Plus years later....they're still the best for me. Bar none! I had quite a few, but narrowed it down to a few now. I am jonesin' for a candy blue sd series(Had a candy blue single hum pointy but sold it). Once I get my $ situation stabilized, I'm grabbing one(if I can)

Comment

Originally posted by diablomozart View Post
                  it's all in the neck...d.m.
                  Simple, yet powerful and eloquent answer. +100!!
                  Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Owning a Charvel I guess is like owning a part of history. The history of rock and roll. I went to see a Guitar tech since my SLSMG was giving a few problems and the first thing he told me among his many guitars the best one is his Charvel. No idea what model, but his face just lit up talking about it. I still dont own a charvel, but lately since their prices have gone up, just waiting for the right moment.
                    Sam

Comment

I just buy em to take pretty pictures of them!!!

They feel like they were made for me, I own 12 of them now. Those necks just fit my hand perfect and the tones you get out of the 4's MMmmm, I just love em, always looking for more!!!

Comment

They match my legs so well !

Comment

The old charvel necks are unique and most comfortable to me than other guitars. They are fat compared to ibanez and a strat but people say they are thin? To me they are chunky and it is much easier for me to shred on them, plus get the action pretty low on them. I also just think they are awesome cool and retro, plus the japanese made are really high quality guitars for cheap. For the price they blow away everything I have played. Plus the old charvels sound so sweet, the wood ages now and they sound so good. They are fat guitars to me, big and fat mommas and play like crazy bitches, i love these old charvels.

Comment

fuck yeah i love my charvel

Comment

Originally posted by sixx_ gunner View Post
                              I want to understand why Charvel is the "one" for you. I read alot of these threads like some kinda addict, everyday checking NEW POSTS for info. Alot of you seem to horde the Charvel's like they are golden. I feel like I am missing something big. I just got into the Jackson world and THANKS to FIREBIRD V, I have a Duncan Distortion making great noise for me. I am banging away learning with Doug Mark's Metal Method. I have played Strats, Les Pauls, BC Rich, ESP, LTD,Schecter & Ibanez. I know why I like a certain brand of guitar, neck, weight, smoothness of playing....sound is subjective... But have never even held a Charvel. There seems to be a great lack of them for sale in the South Florida area! I have combed thru Guitar Centers and Mom & Pop shops, but I am lucky to even find a USA Jackson, Ibanez JEM or ESP Horizion. My fiance is telling me once I learn more on the guitar....I can choose "THE ONE". She is the same one that surprised me with my pretty good Chibanez UV777BK.
                              Give me some reasons why you all are crazy about Charvels.
                              haha, join the club. but in my case, i've played one charvel that my friend have, i love it, except the fact that his charvel doesnt have sharkies
                              in anycase, my guitars of choices would be the '90 professionals
                              Own:
                              '93 Rhoads PRO, '92 Fusion Ex, '90 Soloist PRO:, Zoom GFX-5 + moar shitty pedals, Marshall mg15 DFX

Dreamin abt:
                              w/e catches my eyes ATM
                              More '90 Professionals

Comment

Working...
                              X