Hypothetical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypothetical question

Cuz it would never could never happen........

What do you all think the price would be for J/C to mass produce import guitars at the same ...and I mean exact same or better....quality level as the old 80's Charvel Model series used to be.....yanno the in house pickups, good electronics, unfreakinbelievably good necks, awesome body (dense wood I guess?) and a paint job that a train wreck couldn't put a dent in?

Now granted it is all up to an individual's interpretation as to how well a guitar is made, but, I've yet to feel any guitars that match let alone exceed what those Model ones are.

And more importantly than what it would cost J/C....what would it cost us?
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Apparently, too much for them to consider.

It's not just about the cost of delivery - what it costs them financially to get it from manufacture to market - you have to look at the total cost, which includes the loss of USA model sales.

While the '80s Model models were some of the best guitars ever made, it's safe to assume that their quality contributed to the problem that was perpetuated in the 90-94 Pro models: they were too good for their own good.

That cannot happen again. Jackson cannot afford another blow like that. Neither can Charvel.

Really I don't think many people are giving the current imports a fair chance against the Model models. Yes, the in-house pickups and electronics were better than the Duncan Designed and Chinese knockoff electronics, but the wood quality is still there amd that's all that matters. Sure, you have to spend extra to get a better trem and all that easily-replaceable stuff, but trust me, it's worth it.

Put a genuine Schaller-made OFR and USA-made/name-brand pickups on a Japanese-made Jackson like the DK2 or RR3 and you've got a player that is as good as any Model model. No, you won't have neckthrough and ebony and the other cosmetics like the USA or early Pros, but you won't just have a dressed-up Hondo on your hands, either.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

However, just for the sake of speculation, I'd say a Model model in today's money would be $1200 for a Model 2. You would go up from there. A 6 or 650XL would be $1500-$1700.

Their cost would probably be half to 1/3 that.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
        However, just for the sake of speculation, I'd say a Model model in today's money would be $1200 for a Model 2. You would go up from there. A 6 or 650XL would be $1500-$1700.

Their cost would probably be half to 1/3 that.
        BTW, these kind of operations work when the dollar is strong, for instance, the success of the Squiers in the early 80s...when the dollar nosedived after '85, for the american buyer it was more convenient to buy a american Strat.
        '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
        '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
        '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
        '92 Fender Strat scallop
        '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
        '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

The USA production series charvels are kinda like the model series. Quality components, model series vibe, and a decent price. I dont think theyre gonna make a $300 similar import guitar.

Comment

You have to remember how much the Model series cost back in the day. Model 4's cost about twice as much as Fender USA strats. Hell, my Gibson SG was $400 back in '92. I think Model 4's were 600-800 in 86. So these were really premium guitars.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
            X