i need some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i need some help

k guys, i just picked up a DK2m and its out of tune and ive never used a floyd rose. Do i have to loosen the nut lock to tune every time?

any other floyd rose advice would be greatly appreciated also.

Yes. Loosen the locking nut and tune the guitar as you would any other guitar. Tighten the screws and then fine tune it with the little gears on the back/top of the Floyd. Or, take it to your local guy and have him explain all the nuances of the Floyd. Watch him re-string it, too. Hey, the more you know...
    8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

Comment

This video was nice

A basic tutorial on how to re-string a Floyd Rose equipped guitar. *Song playing is Walk Away by Van Halen, a James Gang cover, from a live bootleg.**Sorry a...

that are many more that go into some nice detail.

joe...
      www.godwentpunk.com
      www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

doug and corey at the guitar factory usually just block the bridge with a gummy erasor, cut the strings all at once, oil the fretboard, and bust out the strobe tuner. i'm not as brave...
        198? Charvel Model 2B s/n 245085
        1987 Charvel Model 6 s/n C707218
        2001 SL2H Black Pearl s/n U09404
        2006 SL2HT Burnt Cherry Sunburst s/n U18151
        2008 USA C/S Soloist Soft Arch Carved Top Tiger Eye JA0510
        2009 Adrian Smith Dinky s/n 006666 (Ebony Fretboard)
        2009 Adrian Smith Dinky s/n 007066 (Maple Freboard)

Comment

Just remember you have to keep tuning it until all the strings stay at the right pitch. So work low to high then repeat over and over - then lock the nut and fine tune.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
            Just remember you have to keep tuning it until all the strings stay at the right pitch. So work low to high then repeat over and over - then lock the nut and fine tune.
            +1

And keep the floyd floating parallel to the body

Comment

Number one word of advise....patience. Cause once you get the floyd tweeked out it will stay in tune, and you'll love it. All the advise being given here is good so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                You also have to stretch your strings well. Once you tune up to pitch, bend the strings, pull them off the board, tune back up to pitch. Repeat the process until they don't go out of tune, then lock the nut.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  You also have to stretch your strings well. Once you tune up to pitch, bend the strings, pull them off the board, tune back up to pitch. Repeat the process until they don't go out of tune, then lock the nut.
                  +1!!! This is the most important step - regardless of bridge type.

Comment

Also, if you're not in a band or don't use the trem very much - you don't need to tighten the locking nut.
                    I normally don't bother with the locking nuts on any of my Jacksons, but they still stay in tune just fine. It's all down to stretching the strings properly when you put a new set on.
                    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

yea...

The guitar was a floor model so the strings are stretched and what not, the problem im having is the fine tuning. I tune up the strings good, then when i lock the nut a couple strings slip out.

I try to fine tune with those knobs at the bottom but they seem to defy the 'lefty loosy righty tighty' theory. I watched some videos but the finetuning was leftout.

Comment

Yeah, tuning a Floyd can be a hassle. But I wouldn't own a guitar w/o one.
                        8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                          +2

there's no use in locking your nut until your strings are done stretching.

Comment

Originally posted by madcap View Post
                            I try to fine tune with those knobs at the bottom but they seem to defy the 'lefty loosy righty tighty' theory. I watched some videos but the finetuning was leftout.
                            welcome to the club.

once you get your guitar 'close' on the digital, where your bridge is even with the body, and your strings are about 2mm off the frets, try screwing your bridge screws down about 1/4, leaving them at as close to the same level as you can, and then re-tune with the tuning keys before you lock your nut. this will give you a little wiggle room on the topside, and leave you plenty on the bottom end, where most of the adjustment with a new set of strings is needed anyway.

that, or just find a sweet luthier who you can bs with while he shows you how it's done...

Comment

Originally posted by madcap View Post
                              There's nothing complicated about it. Once you have it in tune, then lock down the nut, it will slightly go out of tune because you've moved the strings a fraction in the tightening.
                              If your fine tuners aren't working properly maybe they're a bit stiff or something like that. You're doing everything right, so I'd think it must be a hardware issue.

Like I say, I don't even bother locking my nuts (oo-er!) most of the time. I just played my SL3, without the nut locked, and was doing squeals and divebombs with the trem and it never went out of tune whatsoever.
                              And that's with the strings that came with the guitar....about ten months ago! Yes, I need to change those things...I don't know why I haven't already, all my other guitars have had it done regularly.
                              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X