Why is my Model 6 so fat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is my Model 6 so fat?

Hey there. I just recently bought a crackle Model 6 on ebay and it came in the mail Friday. It's totally sweet, but it's a different size than my other guitars.

I have three 1988 guitars that I thought would be dimensionally identical: a blue Model 6, a Jackson Soloist (main guitar), and now the new crackle Model 6 (backup).

The blue Model 6 and the Soloist are the same size. The crackle Model 6 has a fatter neck, and a thicker body. Consequently, it's also heavier.

Why is this?

First, I think this post should belong to the import charvel forum.

Secondly...never heard about it..thicker body?Can you post pics of your blue and this crackle side by side?
    '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
    '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
    '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
    '92 Fender Strat scallop
    '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
    '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

What are you feeding it?

Comment

uh oh; this sounds like a knock-off.

i have a friend with a 'gibson custom shop les paul zakk wylde armed forces edition'. only thing is, it says 'gibsun' on the headstock, and i think that he got it for like $200...
        198? Charvel Model 2B s/n 245085
        1987 Charvel Model 6 s/n C707218
        2001 SL2H Black Pearl s/n U09404
        2006 SL2HT Burnt Cherry Sunburst s/n U18151
        2008 USA C/S Soloist Soft Arch Carved Top Tiger Eye JA0510
        2009 Adrian Smith Dinky s/n 006666 (Ebony Fretboard)
        2009 Adrian Smith Dinky s/n 007066 (Maple Freboard)

Comment

Originally posted by Cuthbert View Post
          First, I think this post should belong to the import charvel forum.

Secondly...never heard about it..thicker body?Can you post pics of your blue and this crackle side by side?
          NO, this is general Jackson / Charvel talk. The discussion talks about a Charvel Model 6 being different specs compared to another Charvel Model 6 and a Jackson Soloist.

Is it possible that they are actually not all 1988 guitars and the Charvel Model 6 had different dimensions different years?

I did not measure the difference. It's very obvious and can be both seen and felt.

This guitar is not a knockoff. If it is it's the most elaborate knockoff ever. The frets are worn and it has the original pickups, JT-6, serial number stamp after the 24th fret, etc.
          Last edited by nsubulysses; 10-18-2008, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by joshulator View Post
            What are you feeding it?

There can be some variation.

My current model 6 has the beefiest neck I've ever felt on one.

If the body is thick, hmmm... I wonder if you got a XL750 prototype or something (where they laminated a maple cap on top of mahogany, or something like that... ended up being 1/2" thicker).

It may be a one off kinda thing, or a refinned XL750 with a different logo?

Not sure man.

Detailed Pics?
            "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
            --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by nsubulysses View Post
              This guitar is not a knockoff. If it is it's the most elaborate knockoff ever. The frets are worn and it has the original pickups, JT-6, serial number stamp after the 24th fret, etc.
              well, the fretwear is a good sign.

doug at guitar factory tells me that there are sneaky petes out there who will get their hands on a san dimas, and clone it, all the way down to the serial number, make like 10 of them at once, and pass them all off as original charvel san dimas'.

just beware...
              198? Charvel Model 2B s/n 245085
              1987 Charvel Model 6 s/n C707218
              2001 SL2H Black Pearl s/n U09404
              2006 SL2HT Burnt Cherry Sunburst s/n U18151
              2008 USA C/S Soloist Soft Arch Carved Top Tiger Eye JA0510
              2009 Adrian Smith Dinky s/n 006666 (Ebony Fretboard)
              2009 Adrian Smith Dinky s/n 007066 (Maple Freboard)

Comment

Originally posted by joshulator View Post
                What are you feeding it?
                I didn't even get this joke til it was quoted. I just misread it "feeling it."

I will try to post some pics today.

Comment

How much thicker is the body? Can you take measurements of it & your other Model 6? A side-by-side pic showing the thickness would be very interesting. As for the neck thickness, quite a few people have said their '86 Model 5s & 6s had thinner necks than later ones. The 87 & 88 ones were more consistent. Sounds like all bets are off with yours, and it's just different. That's pretty cool, imo, as long as you get along with it.

Comment

One more thing, is the top flat, or arch-top?
                    Are the volume knobs recessed?
                    What is the scale of the neck?

Just trying to figure out the XL750 possibility...
                    --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by drixll View Post
                      well, the fretwear is a good sign.

doug at guitar factory tells me that there are sneaky petes out there who will get their hands on a san dimas, and clone it, all the way down to the serial number, make like 10 of them at once, and pass them all off as original charvel san dimas'.

just beware...
                      Why would someone make a knock-off of an import Charvel and take the time to get spec-correct hardware, pickups and all that. They wouldn't make nearly as much money as if it was a USA. It's like making a knock-off of a Mexican Fender Strat as opposed to a USA. There's no real point.

Sorry if I sounded harsh.
                      "Dear Dr. Bill,
                      I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Perhaps they did it cuz that's what they wanted, not for trying to flip for a profit?

--floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
                          Why would someone make a knock-off of an import Charvel and take the time to get spec-correct hardware, pickups and all that. It's like making a knock-off of a Mexican Fender Strat as opposed to a USA.
                          ...or counterfeiting $1 bills.

- E.
                          Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Not sure what a XL750 is. But an 750XL has an carved maple top on a mohagony body. The 750XL is also a H/H pup config. A model 6 is an H/S/S with three knobs and three on off mini switches. Vs the 750xl's 5 way blade switch. It is possable that they just didnt cut it with the same template as the rest of them and it resulted in a beefier guitar. Or the finish is just that much thicker due to it being a crackle finish and two differant colors of paint.
                            Gil

Comment

Originally posted by AlexL View Post
                              ...or counterfeiting $1 bills.

- E.
                              True enough. I'm from Canada so our $1 money piece in the form of a coin so I naturally wouldn't have thought of that. Good example though.

I wonder if someone's ever counterfeited a penny. They'd actually lose money making those things. It costs $.02 to make a coin worth $.01.
                              "Dear Dr. Bill,
                              I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Working...
                              X