floyd rose question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• floyd rose question

I am looking at buying a Charvel with bolt-on neck from the 80's. It has the Jackson/Floyd Rose on it and it will not stay in tune. Is this typical for this model of bridge or is something not set up right on the guitar? I'd like to get it, love the neck, but not if I have to put in a new Floyd Rose to keep it in tune.

If it's a JT6, you may need to check the plates in the string lock. They are notorious for wearing out.
    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
      If it's a JT6, you may need to check the plates in the string lock. They are notorious for wearing out.
      +1

The good news is that you can often file them flat, keeping the direction of the filing 90 degrees to the strings (so they grip again).

Break the leading/trailing edges, so they don't cause string breakage when you are done filing them.

Also, try some lube on the pivots (knife edges/posts), and make sure they are mounted solid (bushings can get loose).

Good luck!
      "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
      --floydkramer

Comment

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
        --floydkramer

Comment

I don't know what model trem it has. The guitar looks like this but has a Floyd not a Kahler trem, I know because it says 'licensed by Floyd Rose' on it.

Comment

If you can, post some pics for the guitar gurus over here. They'll tell the model, the year and what's wrong by just looking at a shaky, low-res, camera phone pic. Having said that, I can't tell one floating bridge from the other, but someone's bound to know
            Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
            Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Ok, so its a 87-88 model 2 with a jt-6 trem. The problem is most likely not in the trem but with the string lock device after the nut. Is it just some strings that go out or does the whole bunch go flat or sharp. As stated above,the pads in the string lock can be filed flat again or can be replaced relatively cheaply.

Comment

I would check the knife edges on the bridge itself.They may need to be filed to get a smoothe edge. Check the trem stud posts to make sure that they are smooth as well. The nut pad info is dead on too.The JT-6 trems are good solid trems.
                Pics would be a huge help in diagnosing the problem.
                Oh Yeah welcome stratgal glad you are here.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Thanks for all the good info!
                  What do you think a fair price for this guitar would be, seeing as how the trem needs work? It doesn't have a case either. The neck is in fine condition.

Comment

Comment

I'm going to assume it's a model 3
                      They go from 200 to 300 depending on how good a deal you get, and condition.

If it's a model 4 (active electronics, three mini-toggle switches for the pickup on/off) 300 to 400 is more like it.

If it's a model 2 (single hum) 250 to 350, perhaps more if real clean.

That's as good as I can do without pics/more info.
                      --floydkramer

Comment

Working...
                      X