King V vs KV1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King V vs KV1

Ok, so I'm confused. If the KV1 was a signature guitar, what the hell was Robin playing? Why is it the KV1 is designated for Dave?! I know there was a double Rhoads, etc but why is the KV the Dave guitar when the $&*@ing name came from Robin!?

Nothing against Dave but when you can't get a "KV1" because it was a signature guitar, it seems odd to me that it has the KV in it to begin with. Shouldn't it have been the KV-DM?

I am so confused by Jackson some times.

Please school me on this, I really want to know
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Well, I think that part of the problem is nomenclature/semantics. When the jackson designs originally came out, there was no KV1, KV2, RR1, SL1 etc. This was something that AMIC came up with in the 90s. I have an '89 King V which is called just that on the hang tag. Black 2hum floyd ebony sharks and white binding. THe only disignations was custom (ebony/sharks/binding) and student (rosewood/dots).
    "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

I'm not sure what you're confused about?

You mean Robbin Crosby correct? He was playing a double rhoads KV (which you said you were aware of) while Mustaine was playing a regular sized KV.

They're both King V's so I don't know why Jackson would refer to Mustaine's as something different.

The "KV1" distinction is simply the model name they gave Mustaine's signature model when it was released in 1996/97. If you ask for a "KV1" today you're asking for a discontinued signature model of a guy who is no longer with the company. They're going to say no go for obvious reasons.

That said, you can still get a KV with a Kahler and you can still get a double Rhoads KV.

Comment

Another difference is a lot of the early King V's were poplar, while the KV1's were alder.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
          Another difference is a lot of the early King V's were poplar, while the KV1's were alder.
          No, the KV1s started out as poplar.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            No, the KV1s started out as poplar.
            Is that right? Wow I didn't know that. I'd love to snag one of those!

Comment

My point is, why the stupid naming convention? Why would you call a King V a KV1 if it's someones signature model? KV1 should be as the RR1. It seems kind of stupid since the SL1, DK1, RR1 etc, then you have KV2 at the top of the line available model. It just seems inconsistent.
              In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
                My point is, why the stupid naming convention? Why would you call a King V a KV1 if it's someones signature model? KV1 should be as the RR1. It seems kind of stupid since the SL1, DK1, RR1 etc, then you have KV2 at the top of the line available model. It just seems inconsistent.
                Would be more inconsistent if the KV1 would out of nowhere become this floyded alder beast overnight.
                Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
                Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

I love all King V's!! They are my fav Jackson body ever!
                  I never forget that Crosby was the man who first owned one though.
                  'Howling in shadows
                  Living in a lunar spell
                  He finds his heaven
                  Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
                    I love all King V's!! They are my fav Jackson body ever!
                    I never forget that Crosby was the man who first owned one though.
                    Nope, Robbin wasn't the first to own a Double Rhoads. It was Dave Linsk, a NJ guitar player who played in a band called Zyris (Zakk Wylde later took Dave's place after he left.) Dave has been in Overkill since about 1999 or 2000. Word has it that Dave's guitar was at the Jackson factory for repair work, Robbin saw it and wanted one made. Since Robbin was in a famous band at the time and his nickname was "King" that's how he came to be known for using it.

Comment

Yeah, it is inconsistent and I certainly see how it could be confusing for somebody new to Jackson. I think it's just sort of worked out that way over the years and isn't really anybody's fault. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there was a time when the Mustaine & Friedman sigs (KV1 and KE1) were essentially the top of the line King V and Kelly and there was no sign of the current KV2/KE2.

But then, when Dave and Marty left Jackson they had to replace their models with non-sig models which had to have a different designation. It would confuse more people, I think, if a guitar was discontinued and then a different one brought in with the same model number. It's easier to call the newer ones by a different designation even if it does seem inconsistent compared to the RR1/SL1/WR1/PC1.

I think the only way to solve the problem of inconsistent model numbers without lots of confusion about old models and new models sharing the same number would be to bring in a totally new system, but I don't like this idea because I like the current way that Jackson designate their axes, even if there is a little inconsistency.
                      I like maple fretboards. :P

Comment

What's even crazier is there used to be an import, 22-fret bolt-on KV2 with dot inlays before the USA neck-thru.
                        http://audiozone.dk/cm/displayimage.php?album=54&pos=11

Comment

Since Jackson, and not Mustaine, owns the "KV1" designation (as opposed to KV-DM), I don't see the problem of reintroducing the KV1 without his sig on the head, with or without the Kahler (maybe a t.o.m. instead).

Maybe it's still in reserve in case he comes back, I dunno.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                            Is that right? Wow I didn't know that. I'd love to snag one of those!
                            They were poplar or Korina until 1999

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                              What's even crazier is there used to be an import, 22-fret bolt-on KV2 with dot inlays before the USA neck-thru.
                              http://audiozone.dk/cm/displayimage.php?album=54&pos=11
                              I have one of those KV2 bolt ons, and it's a nice guitar. It's basically a King V Standard Professional, which was also a bolt on. I have one of those as well.
                              Same specs, but the KV2 has 1v/1t/3way.
                              KVStandard has 1v/3way.

Never heard of Dave Linsk so I'm gonna stick to my original story Joe
                              If Dave Linsk had it first, then what was it called? A Double Rhoads?
                              Last edited by metalchurch79; 11-06-2008, 01:16 AM.
                              'Howling in shadows
                              Living in a lunar spell
                              He finds his heaven
                              Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Working...
                              X