Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Jackson "officially" refinish a guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Jackson "officially" refinish a guitar?

I'm guessing no but...

I was thinking I would love to have the Red Blue Pearl finish that was done on the import COW sigs to the black custom shop neck thru COW I have.

LoL hell I'd love them to route it out and add a neck pickup too

I could always send it somewhere else but this one has a MOP "Jackson" logo vs a stenciled logo. So I dunno if that would get damaged or have to be removed for a refinish.

Maybe Mike Learn will pop in and share some wisdom.

i had it done in the 90's when amic still owned..it wasnt exactly common practice to do it then...so i would guess the answer would be no...but i have been wrong before...d.m.
    http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Highly doubtful, unless it was being done for a warranty issue with paint.

My first custom shop Jackson - way back in 1986 - was refinned by the factory because of paint issues. ...QC was so much better back in the old days, right?

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
        Highly doubtful, unless it was being done for a warranty issue with paint.

My first custom shop Jackson - way back in 1986 - was refinned by the factory because of paint issues. ...QC was so much better back in the old days, right?
        +1. Though I can see why I big company like Jackson got out of that (along with mods in general), I don't know why my smaller shops like GMW are stopping it.

Comment

I think Lee is has stopped doing refins because he is concentrating on his own line of guitars - which look pretty damn good!!

Comment

Don't refinish it sell it to me

Comment

I know they used to do it pre-fender.

I have specifically asked about this more recently (about 2006) and was told absolutely not (for a non-warranty issue - I wanted a charvel to be factory refin'd).

As far as under warrenty, I have had 2 charvels guitars go back for refins/rebuilds under the warrenty since the fender buyout - 2 for 2 LOL! I have 3 jacksons which I have owned since the 80s (original owner on 2 of them) - they magically have not required a trip back to the factory. YMMV.
              "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Only if you're Zakk Wylde or Amir Derakh would they do that for....probably.

Get some cans of Krylon and have some fun.

Comment

Originally posted by RR05xx View Post
                  I know they used to do it pre-fender.
                  Stopped reading after this. I haven't heard of anybody having factory refinishes since the mid 80s.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
                    Stopped reading after this. I haven't heard of anybody having factory refinishes since the mid 80s.
                    I can vouch that what RR05xx says is a fact. I know of two people personally that got factory refins in 2000 and 2001. They were nobodies just had Jacksons that needed refinishing.

Comment

mine was 1997...d.m.

Comment

But were these refins due to a finish flaw and done under warranty to same color? Or were they done in a differant color all together? Warranty refin to same color is most likely doable if there is a flaw. But to repaint it completley differant probably not.
                        Gil

Comment

no...mine was rr0349...it had been repainted before i bought it...they refinned it back to the gold sparkle it originally was...made me new hardware and even fixed a crack in the upper wing...i paid for it...but it was worth every penny...so no...not a warranty...d.m.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
                            But were these refins due to a finish flaw and done under warranty to same color? Or were they done in a differant color all together? Warranty refin to same color is most likely doable if there is a flaw. But to repaint it completley differant probably not.
                            Gil
                            The one I personally now about was a 84 Rhoads they restored in 2001 and even made new diamond plate hardware for it and installed it at the customers cost. The other one was a factory refin of a soloist if I remember correctly. Meaning the soloist was painted some weird graphic and the shop restored it back to its factory graphic.

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
                              I think Lee is has stopped doing refins because he is concentrating on his own line of guitars - which look pretty damn good!!
                              I hear he only does laminated fretboards now! :ROTF:
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X