How to protect autographs on an RR5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to protect autographs on an RR5?

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum here, but been reading on and off.

I got myself a Jackson RR5 last February, (loving it although it needs to be set up really... a bit too much fret buzz but I don't wanna raise the action! Low on money so I'll address that some other time..)

I'm going to get it autographed next week, most likely in silver sharpie unless the band autograph it in their own silver pens, and I will assume on the black bit of the guitar. Hopefully they don't sign the gold bit but I guess that might not make much difference.

I've been trying to research how to protect the guitar, and it seems that what it may come down to is whether or not the guitar is finished in lacquer or poly urethane..... (I think!) I'm really not confident/rich enough to go hardcore and sand it down and recoat it etc.

Does anyone know what the RR5 is finished in? I have been advised to just spray clear Krylon or Hycote on top of the signatures 2 or 3 times, but I don't really know what that will do or if it will flake off, .... or... god forbid, lots of little bubbles pop up when I spray it... (which I assume might be caused by spraying too much too close to the guitar?) Others suggest just use some clear nail varnish.

Anyone have any idea?

Here is the guitar. It's fairly clean with a few tiny minor scratches on it, though not so deep that they go into the paintwork:

I just would avoid autographs on a guitar. Get the band to sign on paper and keep that. Signatures on a guitar are not cool, especially if you plan to resell it later.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

or if you are dead set on it get them to sign the back plate so you cant take it off to protect it.
      Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
      Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

+1. Autographs look ugly as hell, and ruin resale value. Don't do it.

Jacksons are finished in poly though.

Comment

Originally posted by Super_shredder View Post
          or if you are dead set on it get them to sign the back plate so you cant take it off to protect it.
          There's no back plate on an RR5; it's string through and front loaded with a gold control cavity cover which is largely obscured by three knobs and a pickup selector switch.

- E.
          Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

i'm not gonna resell my jackson. i'll keep every guitar i ever buy from now because in my lifetime that probably won't be more than 4 or 5.

i know aesthetically an autograph isn't great but it's just the same as putting an ugly sticker on and saying that you've 'personalised it'.

I'm definitely gonna get it signed, just the question is how do you preserve it on an RR5?

Comment

thanks for letting me know that its poly.

the band is children of bodom so even if i were to resell it, (which I won't) it would probably at least hold value. They are pretty mainstream nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexL View Post
                There's no back plate on an RR5; it's string through and front loaded with a gold control cavity cover which is largely obscured by three knobs and a pickup selector switch.

- E.

DOH
                Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

just had a quick look at polurethane varnish, which is apparently the same stuff they use on wood and floors sometimes, though other sites claim it has a yellowing effect.

Is this the exact same stuff they sprayed the guitar with... in which case why no yellowing? (Perhaps because it's paint and not wood?)

Anyone know what would happen if I put this stuff on the plate?

Thanks in advance guys! This one is really stumping me.

Comment

Maybe Alexei will only sign ESPs
                    Jackson KV2
                    Jackson KE1T
                    Jackson KE1F
                    Jackson SL1

Comment

I dont care for autographe guitars either.
                      The only part that I'd consider would be the trem cover, like Robbin Crosby did on the Big Red guitars.
                      Of course I dont put my trem covers one so what's the use anyway.
                      'Howling in shadows
                      Living in a lunar spell
                      He finds his heaven
                      Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                        +1. Autographs look ugly as hell, and ruin resale value. Don't do it.

Jacksons are finished in poly though.
                        *** Oh Crap! I have this black 65' Strat signed by some dude named
                        "Jimi"... But now i guess i'll just sell it for $5500.00 since that autograph
                        lowers the value!! :ROTF: Might as well get rid of my 64' Rick too..
                        some british guy signed it..."John Lennon".. another worthless axe !!

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                          *** Oh Crap! I have this black 65' Strat signed by some dude named
                          "Jimi"... But now i guess i'll just sell it for $5500.00 since that autograph
                          lowers the value!! :ROTF: Might as well get rid of my 64' Rick too..
                          some british guy signed it..."John Lennon".. another worthless axe !!
                          Who are they? I hear they both suck and have been doing horrid at gigs lately.
                          Last edited by Ben...; 11-17-2008, 10:43 PM.
                          "Dear Dr. Bill,
                          I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Get them to sign the control cover. That way you don't have to haul a guitar around. Also, if you wanted to you could swap out the plate with another one, down the line.

Comment

Sign a CD/LP sleeve, sure. A guitar? No. The only way something like that would avoid rubbing off, is if it's under the clearcoat.
                              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Working...
                              X