No announcement yet.

How to protect autographs on an RR5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you did not prep the surface before the signature, I wouldnt put anything over it as it will run and possibly fisheye like a mother. 3M makes a clear film used in the auto industry that can be applied over the signatures to make a decent presentation witout ruining the guitar any further.
    Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
    http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
      Who are they? I hear they both suck and have been doing horrid a gigs lately.
      Yeah... shit im better than both of them...now!

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
        *** Oh Crap! I have this black 65' Strat signed by some dude named
        "Jimi"... But now i guess i'll just sell it for $5500.00 since that autograph
        lowers the value!! :ROTF: Might as well get rid of my 64' Rick too..
        some british guy signed it..."John Lennon".. another worthless axe !!
        Yeah, you better try and rub those signatures out, or you'll get nothing for the guitars.

Comment

I did it!

Ok guys, I managed to do it. The pics are the test. I haven't got it signed yet but that shouldn't be a problem.

I know a lot of you reading will be experts and know the full ins and outs of guitars, and think this is obvious or will ruin the resale value etc but please don't slate me too much and give some allowance to the n00bs and first timers like me out there! Thanks!

Here is a mini guide for the n00b like me that doesn't want to pay lots of money or go hardcore stripping it down:

You will need:

a guitar finished in polyurethane, not lacquer. (Apparently guitars come in either of these 2 finishes and I was advised that my brand, Jackson, are all poly finished.) If you have a lacquer guitar, I am not sure that this will work!

and you will also need the following:

a pen to test/give to people to sign the guitar with/draw on, I used a silver metallic sharpie, and please note that other types of pen may give various other effects.

clear polyurethane gloss finish, or perhaps matte or double gloss depending on the colour of your guitar.

A thin paint brush. Personally I originally tried using clear nail varnish which dissolved the sharpie ink near instantly, even after letting the ink dry for an hour, so I washed the nail varnish brush and used that, as it was thin.

1: Clean the guitar up with some polish.

2: Carefully write/draw on/let a celebrity abuse the guitar with the pen.

3: As soon as you can, open the poly tin, and stir it a little. You will notice it is a little yellow, but that will not show unless you for some strange reason want to have a layer of varnish inches thick on your guitar!

4: At this point, I used a rocket pump to blow any dust that had picked up off the guitar. This isn't totally necessary, but you can't wipe the guitar with the ink on it unprotected. You will very likely smudge it.

5: Using the thin brush, CAREFULLY AND SLOWLY 'paint/varnish' over the ink, in as thin a layer as you can, but without it being so thin that it doesn't cover or realistically protect it.

6: Lay flat and let dry for 2-8 hours, depending on humidity. Try not to let dust settle on it.

7: (Optional) You can, if you are VERY careful and have the judgement and hands of a surgeon, sand down any excessively thick layers, and then give the varnish a second coat, and allow to dry again etc, (or just sand it for smoothness) for a perfect long lasting finish.

This is what I ended up with. I wrote a little J for Jackson by the strap holder so that it is concealed when a strap is on.

Have fun, kids!:thu:

Comment

Hate to say it but your pics didn't work. Did you use the button with the mountains on it?
            "Dear Dr. Bill,
            I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

i did.

though they work you right click them and click open in new tab..

Comment

Working...
              X