Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a useless $2700 custom plus had to pay 78 dollars for FMIC to tell me.. w/pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If it doesn't get worked out, push FMIC them for a full refund before trying the ebay route.
    Jackson KV2
    Jackson KE1T
    Jackson KE1F
    Jackson SL1

Comment

• I would go ballistic if that happened to me. JMHO.
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

• Originally posted by AK47 View Post
        I will update you guys Tuesday afternoon. I spoke with CB Perkins about my Charvel and asked whats the deal with the high action and 10 guage strings. I was kind of concerned as I did not get a real straight answer on anything they told me to come down to the store Tuesday afternoon and they will get FMIC on the phone and we can discuss all the issues.

Like I stated many times before I suck at setting up guitars with floating Floyd Rose bridges. All I know is when I received my guitar from Matt it was unplayable. Had Torres set it up but it was playable with high action on the high frets, low on the low frets as you can see it in the written receipt from them. Then later GC and their weak setup.

Now I have a guitar with high action across the board from the low to high frets. It is playable now but I have played off the rack Korean Deans that were set up better.

CB Perkins has setup guitars for me before and I had no issue ever of me having to come back and cry about action being to high or this and that but when I was on the phone I was asked about what exactley are my expectations for a "Playable guitar" and what is considered acceptable by my standards may be different then FMICs standards. Then he said he did not really want to get into a discussion on the phone and I should come in and I agreed I dont blame him for not wanting to get into a discussion about a warranty issue over the phone when it should be discussed in person.

So I will update tommorow when I come back from the store.

One other thing was when I picked up my Charvel on Saturday I did ask if there was any paperwork. I figured FMIC would include a itemized list of what was done since it was a warranty repair. They told me there was no such paperwork or it was not shipped with the guitar.

This is what I mean by I may Ebay it. If it is unaccaptable to my playing standards but acceptable to most people or FMIC then I have no choice but to sell it. It will never play right for me but there are others who dont mind a guitar with higher action.

Its going to come down to an issue of what is acceptable to me vs. FMIC I already know it.

Any chance you could take some measurements on the Charvel's action vs the Anderson?
        I want to understand the difference we are talking about.
        Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

• So here is what they did at Charvel.

Shimmed Nut, neck milled for level fretboard and then truss rod adjustment and set up.

I used a standard ruler to take action measurements by hand so there is some degree of error. I measured from the top of the fret wire to the bottom of the string on the Low E side:

The action goes from slightly under 1/16" at fret 3 to over 1/16" by fret 12. Wish I had a better ruler. I am going to CB Perkins with the guitar now.

So the action for the Metric people is slightly over 1.5mm and just under 2mm.

My Anderson runs around 1.0 to 1.3mm I also own a Y2kv and a KV1 and the action was under 1.5mm.

I know 1.5mm is acceptable for some people.

I will update when I get back.

Comment

• I have about 1.5mm on My Jackson and I find it perfect. I have 1.0mm on my new Strat and it's godly.
            "Dear Dr. Bill,
            I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

• Originally posted by AK47 View Post
              So here is what they did at Charvel.

Shimmed Nut, neck milled for level fretboard and then truss rod adjustment and set up.

I used a standard ruler to take action measurements by hand so there is some degree of error. I measured from the top of the fret wire to the bottom of the string on the Low E side:

The action goes from slightly under 1/16" at fret 3 to over 1/16" by fret 12. Wish I had a better ruler. I am going to CB Perkins with the guitar now.

So the action for the Metric people is slightly over 1.5mm and just under 2mm.

My Anderson runs around 1.0 to 1.3mm I also own a Y2kv and a KV1 and the action was under 1.5mm.

I know 1.5mm is acceptable for some people.

I will update when I get back.
              Ok,
              To me that would have been acceptable, but, it's not my guitar.
              Let us know how it goes.
              Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

• I had a feeling they had shimmed that nut. Not necessarily anything wrong with that, but to me that's too high at the 3rd. I have 3 USA Charvels as well as a few imports, and all of them are under 1mm at the 3rd and about 1.3mm at the 12th, buzz-free. IMO, your standards aren't unreasonable, and if it can't be set under 2mm at the 12th without buzz that could be a problem resale-wise.

Comment

• Has anyone considered a 2nd PC1 neck? Fit, set up with good results and send to Mike Learn for paint. Just an idea.

Comment

• I got back from CB Perkins and they did adjust the action and it is considered within spec. It is now acceptable to me as well.

I did like my Sub Camo Charvel that thing had super low action and no fret buzz.

So what I have to do is just the play the Charvel these next few days to make sure the neck stays in adjustment.

I am a little concerened that the neck is temperamental because of the birdseye maple but I hope it does not need too many future adjustments except for the normal routine setups.

Bottom line is I am satisified and hope in the future the neck does not twist.

Comment

• Post pictured of it all finished up. I hope they didn't mess up that amazing paint job.
                      "Dear Dr. Bill,
                      I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

• Cool! Glad they got it down lower, and that you are satisfied and can enjoy it. That's what it's all about.

Comment

• Good times!
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

• Glad it worked out. That thing is beautiful.

Comment

• Just read this thread, man sorry to hear about the hassle. You are a patient dude, that's all I can say. On another note, if the action is a tad higher than you're used to, play it awhile and you may just find that you're raising all your guitars action a bit. I know this happened to me years ago. Your fret hand will get stronger, and your playing will get cleaner. Maybe it's just me, but that's my experience. Nowadays, if i play a guitar with micro low action, it just sounds like mush.
                              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                              X