Jackson Build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Build?

I'm having a friend of mine build a Rhoads V for me, and was wondering if it is illegal for him to write JACKSON on te headstock?

He is an insane luthier, or atleast I feel this way, so I am paying him for his work. However, I know that this is not a true Jackson, but just a replica. It's not as if he's lying to me and saying this is a custom shop he bought.

So is it illegal if I'm paying him to build me the guitar and write Jackson on the headstock?
    sigpic

Technically yes.
    But I wouldn't re sell it as such.
    If you do sell it, make sure it's someone you know, who will keep their fuggin mouth shut.

That being said, every mutt guitar that I've built has a Jackson logo on it. Most times I use a Jackson neck anyway, but not all the time. I build them for me and never sell them.
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
      Technically yes.
      But I wouldn't re sell it as such.
      If you do sell it, make sure it's someone you know, who will keep their fuggin mouth shut.

That being said, every mutt guitar that I've built has a Jackson logo on it. Most times I use a Jackson neck anyway, but not all the time. I build them for me and never sell them.
      I probably wouldn't even try to sell just to avoid trouble.

I think I may have found a loophole. Let's say he offered to build the guitar for me for free. But I'm still paying him to cover the parts and give him a large tip.
      That makes sense, right? I mean, it's not like he's a total stranger to me, he's my friend.
      sigpic

Comment

Well I guess so. But if he's your friend and you're not gonna sell it and he doesn't advertise that he build it and there's no record then screw it man. Go for it!
        With all of the 'fakes' out there, this is a touchy subject with alot of people.
        If the price is comparable to a real Rhoads, why not buy a Jackson?

But I say it's your money, do what you want. If I were in a similar situation, I'd go for it.
        'Howling in shadows
        Living in a lunar spell
        He finds his heaven

Comment

If the guy's that good why would you not want him to put his own name on it?
          If you want a Jackson, why not just buy one?
          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
            If the guy's that good why would you not want him to put his own name on it?
            If you want a Jackson, why not just buy one?
            Well, it's not like he's famous, and who wouldn't want it to say Jackson on the headtsock. It's not an rr1, I have a few unique ideas I'd like to incorporate into the build.

I would buy a Custom Shop, but I don't have $5000 to spend.
            sigpic

Comment

If I was a luthier, I would be embarassed to put some other company's names on a guitar I built. Unless this is just a parts-o-caster made out of Warmoth stuff. Then you aren't really a luthier at all... more like a roadie.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                If I was a luthier, I would be embarassed to put some other company's names on a guitar I built. Unless this is just a parts-o-caster made out of Warmoth stuff. Then you aren't really a luthier at all... more like a roadie.
                He's not a proffesional luthier. It's more of a hobby for him, but has some talent, at least more than me. Plus he understands that I'd like it to say Jackson on the headstock, he's built a few for himself and wrote Jackson on them all
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by randyrhoadsguitar View Post

So is it illegal if I'm paying him to build me the guitar and write Jackson on the headstock?
                  yep.
                  have him put your own name on it.
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

yeah, I can't say I'd agree with this. It's not a jackson, so it shouldn't say Jackson on the headstock. Either buy a Jackson, or put your own name on it, or if the build is a luthier then let him put his name on it. The long and short of it is that you're paying him for the guitar so it's definitely trademark / copywright infringement.

This is like doing a cover of someone elses song and then trying to pass it off as original, in other words: a fake, counterfit.
                    Last edited by UFORocks; 11-22-2008, 04:14 PM.
                    Guitars:
                    '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                    '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                    '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                    Amp:
                    VOX AD30VT

Comment

Originally posted by randyrhoadsguitar View Post
                      He's not a proffesional luthier. It's more of a hobby for him, but has some talent, at least more than me. Plus he understands that I'd like it to say Jackson on the headstock, he's built a few for himself and wrote Jackson on them all
                      You do know that there are people from Jackson who are members of the forum, right?

Comment

Didn't Slash have a Les Paul that was built for him by a private luthier that had Gibson inlaid in it? If I remember correctly, he didn't even try to hide that fact either.
                        Guitars:
                        Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                        1988 Model 2,
                        Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                        RR3
                        Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                        1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                        2005 SG Special

Comment

From a legal stand point, no he can't put a Jackson logo on it. If he uses a different font it can say Jackson, but unless that's his name as well that would be stupid.

Well, it's not like he's famous, and who wouldn't want it to say Jackson on the headtsock.
                          People don't buy a guitar because it says a name on it, they buy it for the sound or the quality or customer loyalty. Why would you want to call something that is not a Jackson, a Jackson guitar.

I build custom guitars and have my own logo for them. If people don't want my logo then I use none. And I do not even come close to being a profesional luthier. But it is about taking pride in your own product and showing off your own work. To be honest I would be more offended by a friend asking for another guitar brand on one of my guitars then a customer who I just met for the first time. I would think that any of my friends would be more than happy to display my guitars to help spread the name.

Comment

Originally posted by ihocky2 View Post
                            People don't buy a guitar because it says a name on it, they buy it for the sound or the quality or customer loyalty.
                            I really wish I could agree with you but sadly enough, this isn't the always the case anymore. *Stares at Dean*
                            "Dear Dr. Bill,
                            I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
                              I really wish I could agree with you but sadly enough, this isn't the always the case anymore. *Stares at Dean*
                              LOL
                              'Howling in shadows
                              Living in a lunar spell
                              He finds his heaven

Comment

Working...
                              X