No announcement yet.

Jackson Build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have a guy building a replica for you and hes worth a grain of salt, do not insult him by requesting the Jackson logo on the headstock. It is not only ILLEGAL but a slap in the face.
    Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
    http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
      If you have a guy building a replica for you and hes worth a grain of salt, do not insult him by requesting the Jackson logo on the headstock. It is not only ILLEGAL but a slap in the face.
      He already knows. He has built a few for himself and placed Jackson on the headstock.

I don't understand why it is Legal to build a guitar for yourself and place Jackson on the headstock, but then someone else requesting one it is Illegal, even though I am well aware it is a replica.

He is a hobbiest and just builds guitars, he likes doing it. I'm only paying him for the parts and cost of everything else (woods, paint...). He doesn't have his own business, just a hobby, plus he's built himself probably 5 custom "Jacksons" for himself. I know that that's LEGAL as long as he doesn't sell them.
      sigpic

Comment

dude, it is copyright infringment and a violation of trademark laws. forget all the stuff about insulting him. it is just FLAT OUT AGAINST THE LAW. the best thing to do would have NOT ask. it is illegal and unethical - even if you plan to be buried with it. the best thing to do at this point is accept it and stop trying to justify it.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

PS - it is illegal when we do it ourselves too.
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
            dude, it is copyright infringment and a violation of trademark laws. forget all the stuff about insulting him. it is just FLAT OUT AGAINST THE LAW. the best thing to do would have NOT ask. it is illegal and unethical - even if you plan to be buried with it. the best thing to do at this point is accept it and stop trying to justify it.
            Thankyou. This is what I wanted to know this entire time.
            sigpic

Comment

I just dont understand the point of any of this. If you want a Jackson, buy a fuckin' Jackson FFS.
              If you want a guitar that looks like a Jackson but is built for you by a talented luthier, get him to put his own name on it, or put your own/your wife's/your kid's/your dog's name on it.
              I have a copy strat which I repainted - why would I pretend it's a Fender when it's not? I had my daughter's name (Freya) made up in a decal using the Fender font. It's personal and looks nice.
              If I wanted a Fender I'd buy one.
              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jrnic View Post
                Didn't Slash have a Les Paul that was built for him by a private luthier that had Gibson inlaid in it? If I remember correctly, he didn't even try to hide that fact either.
                I heard the same thing. Also, didn't Jake E Lee do the same thing - trying to pass a modified Fender as a Charvel. Oh yeah, and George Lynch being forced to put an ESP logo on his J. Frog "MOM" guitar. It is trademark infringement and legally and morally wrong, but it didn't seem to hurt any of the companies involved. People are still asking Jackson/Charvel to make the white Jake E Lee model and the only legitimate Charvel part was the logo.

Comment

Working...
                X