Warrior pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warrior pickups

I just bought a nice used Warrior WRXT. It still has the stock "designed" pickups loaded. I've been doing some research and keep finding comments on several good replacements. Seems to be fairly even between EMG 81/85's, Duncan Invaders or Duncan Dimebuckers.

What are you folks using in this series guitar? Of the three listed above what are going to be pros and cons?

EMGs sound flat and sterile. They're also very consistent. Passive pickups can sometimes go through spells where they sound different from day to day.

The only Invader I've tried is a 7-string version, and frankly I thought it was going to be total overdrive. Turns out it's not a bad pickup at all. Sounds great through a MicroCube on the TripleRec setting, but also on the British and Classic stack tones.

I've got a Dimebucker, but I don't know if it's toast or what, because it sounds like a single coil to me - kinda gaspy and thin. Like I said, could just be a bad pickup, but isn't the Dimebucker based on the Humbucker From Hell - the one that thinks it's a single coil?

Anyhoo, it really depends on what type of music you're going to play with it. If you're doing thrash through a Mesa, you'll get "everyone's sound" with EMGs. If you're doing a wide range of Metal (Maiden, Ozzy, Priest, Sabbath, Metallica, Megadeth, Trivium, etc) through a Marshall then you may want to look at passives and use a boost pedal for the more modern/ultra-high-gain stuff.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
      If you're doing a wide range of Metal (Maiden, Ozzy, Priest, Sabbath, Metallica, Megadeth, Trivium, etc) through a Marshall then you may want to look at passives and use a boost pedal for the more modern/ultra-high-gain stuff.
      More of this style than anything. I already have a DKMG loaded with Hz's so I'm leaning away from the EMG's in the Warrior. What are some other good passives for the Warrior upgrade?

Comment

What is your amp? In general, ultra high output pickups like EMGs and Invader don't sound very good in Solid State amps. If you have a good amp already, you have lots of options... Duncan JBs, EMGs, various DiMarzios. If you're in the UK also consider Bare Knuckle Pickups. The sound you are going for will greatly influence your pickup choice. Depending on your amp settings, the "EQ" of the pickup is more important than the pickup's output

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
          What is your amp?
          Traynor YCV80 2x12 with Traynor 2x12 matching extension cabinet both loaded with Celestion Vintage 30 horns.

A couple of smaller "goof around" amps all solid state. When I want to enjoy playing I'm thru the Traynor.

Comment

Actually I like the HZs in my WRMG, but that has the TurbCharger/AfterBurner thing in it as well.

Plus it's detuned a full step.

And has 2lbs of metal embedded in the surface

I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Actually I like the HZs in my WRMG, but that has the TurbCharger/AfterBurner thing in it as well.
              Yeah, my DKMG has the 20dB boost knob as well. It doesn't get used much.

Comment

EMGs sound flat and sterile. They're also very consistent. Passive pickups can sometimes go through spells where they sound different from day to day.

The only Invader I've tried is a 7-string version, and frankly I thought it was going to be total overdrive. Turns out it's not a bad pickup at all. Sounds great through a MicroCube on the TripleRec setting, but also on the British and Classic stack tones.

I've got a Dimebucker, but I don't know if it's toast or what, because it sounds like a single coil to me - kinda gaspy and thin. Like I said, could just be a bad pickup, but isn't the Dimebucker based on the Humbucker From Hell - the one that thinks it's a single coil?

Anyhoo, it really depends on what type of music you're going to play with it. If you're doing thrash through a Mesa, you'll get "everyone's sound" with EMGs. If you're doing a wide range of Metal (Maiden, Ozzy, Priest, Sabbath, Metallica, Megadeth, Trivium, etc) through a Marshall then you may want to look at passives and use a boost pedal for the more modern/ultra-high-gain stuff.
                The Dimebucker is based on the Bill Lawrence 500XL isn't it? It's meant to be a replica of the pickups Dimebag used years ago. It costs about three times as much as a Bill Lawrence USA 500XL which is a good pickup IMO, and I've rarely seen a good opinion on the Dimebucker.

The Invader is a great rythm pickup - if you want early Metallica rythm tones, it's awesome. But it's not so hot for leads, so might not be what you want. The Invader neck is a complete waste of space too, unless you only want it for cleans as it's very good at those.

EMG's I haven't tried, but I have Blackouts in my RR3 and they're great. Not too expensive either and pretty easy to fit.

If you're after something a little cheaper, try the BL USA 500XL. If you don't mind price so much, I'd suggest trying something like a Duncan JB for bridge and a '59 or Jazz for the neck. I prefer the '59 myself.
                http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

I have a YCV 80 and I have had Invader and EMG loaded guitars going through it...So listen up!

Invaders are stupid hi output (And I play in a Death Metal band...go figure) they have a big fat lower mid hump that makes you sound like a fukkin distorted tuba!

EMG pups are not sterile (Subjective)...They are eq'ed flat...so they are boosted with an active circuit to give it a higher out put than it would inherently have being somewhat under wound. I have EMGs in almost every pickup orifice I own and...They all sound different!!!

Basic Theorem

The more wire wound around the pups magnet
                  = more mids = higher output = Invader = Distorted tuba!

So you must ask yourself...."Do I desire the tone of a distorted tuba?"
                  If you answer yes to that question...The Invader is for you!

If you desire the tonal opposite to that then...The Dimebucker...Shrill and thin. Has hi output from winding up a small ass magnet and stainless steel rails.

If you want hi output and a full evenly eq'ed pup leaving you to shape how much YOU want of a specific frequency into your tone with your other tone shaping tools...

EMG!
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

I think I've decided. I'm probably going to install a set of SD Blackouts, an AHB-1 in the neck and an AHB-2 Metal in the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by ettev View Post
                      Yeah, my DKMG has the 20dB boost knob as well. It doesn't get used much.
                      I keep it set just to where you can hear it boosting. Full-on sounds too saturated and off is crap - the pickups are amazingly weak. When it's on just enough to hear it working (like maybe 3 or 4), then the pickups sound better.

Comment

Working...
                      X