Ed Roman...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
    I have not bought anything from him. About ten years ago I inquired about the price of a Randy Rhoads Polka Dot V (Which is a horrible attempt at a replica) and he wanted me to send a $3500.00 deposit before he would give me a quote!!!!

Anyway, check out these reviews on his guitars and the way he handles his customers.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r...brand/Ed+Roman
    Lot of good reading in those Harmony Central reviews. You expect a few cranks on HC, but bad review after bad review is a little more than coincidence.

I think you'd have to be crazy to order from him.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
      I met him in Vegas and he treated me just fine even gave me a tour of the shop.
      He is way overpriced on his guitars for the most part.He does have a separate room with artists guitars that is way cool.
      I bought 6 OFR's at a decent price so not a bad experience for me.
      His staff was quite friendly tho'.
      ** Same for me, ive been in there about a half dozen times..talked to
      him a couple of times...Man, he's screwed up with his crippling weight
      problem, so i kind of felt bad for him..treated me ok.. One thing, back
      in the day, he did know a "Who's who' of 80's metal hero's...but he has
      slipped into bad business dealings, and cheating allot of manufactures
      out of money. At NAMM this year, his area was dead...NO ONE talked to
      him! That says allot right there...

Comment

Originally posted by WarPig View Post
        Thanks guys!

From your replies, it sounds like Ed is a shrewd businessman, but basically honest.

I won't know if I can afford the Roswell until after tax time (2009), but at least I can start saving pennies.
        *** You do know he closed his "Worlds largest Guitar store"...right?

So he has moved to god knows where? in Vegas...and does from what ive heard, make fakes locally. So be carefull! If you think your getting
        that incredible $6500.00 PRS or custom Fender Strat...it may be just
        an ok $900.00 copy!

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
          Anyway, check out these reviews on his guitars and the way he handles his customers.
          http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r...brand/Ed+Roman
          I like this one http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r...ckingbird/10/1. The guy orders a custom inlay with his name and it get mis-spelled.

I remember seeing someone else mention they sent into a BCRich to get a custom quilt top, and Ed misplaced it and ended up sending a $200 piece of junk after the kid spent several thousands. For all I heard, it's best to spend a little more elsewhere then go through him.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
            *** You do know he closed his "Worlds largest Guitar store"...right?

So he has moved to god knows where? in Vegas...and does from what ive heard, make fakes locally. So be carefull! If you think your getting
            that incredible $6500.00 PRS or custom Fender Strat...it may be just
            an ok $900.00 copy!
            Didn't know he went underground - living 2000 miles away, I browse the website...

I doubt I would buy a custom guitar from him. There are a lot of luthiers I'd rather work with first.

He shows three original metal Roswell Rhoads on his site. He'd have spent a lot of money to have faked them. When I'm ready to shop, I'll probably call him. He can't force me to buy one, and if the price I hear isn't the price I want, I bide my time. I am a very patient person; I'll wait as long as I need to wait: one will come to me.
            WarPig____________________________________________
            "Live every day as if it were your last...
            ...one day it will be."

Comment

ed's fun to talk to, but based on others' experiences, i'd hesitate to do business. I don't know if Allan is still there (builder) but he may be a good person to start with. Straight-up guy.

Comment

Though I doubt he'd build a metal Roswell, I'm pretty sure he was building Jackson copies at one point.
                Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

Originally posted by WarPig View Post
                  Didn't know he went underground - living 2000 miles away, I browse the website...

I doubt I would buy a custom guitar from him. There are a lot of luthiers I'd rather work with first.

He shows three original metal Roswell Rhoads on his site. He'd have spent a lot of money to have faked them. When I'm ready to shop, I'll probably call him. He can't force me to buy one, and if the price I hear isn't the price I want, I bide my time. I am a very patient person; I'll wait as long as I need to wait: one will come to me.
                  One of our JCF brothers sold a nice Roswell for $1300.00 So you
                  should be able to find one under $1500.00? Sometimes found at Drum
                  land/guitar city.. in Colorado

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                    One of our JCF brothers sold a nice Roswell for $1300.00 So you
                    should be able to find one under $1500.00? Sometimes found at Drum
                    land/guitar city.. in Colorado
                    No he is talking about the aluminum model. I remember Newc got one with a broken neck that he repaired for cheap. Normally I remember them selling for 3500 when they were on Ebay in new condition.

Comment

Wow! You guys just changed my mind about doing business with him.

I count myself lucky that I got away unscathed in my dealings with Ed.

Thanks for all the great experiences that you've posted. I'm sure War Pig feels the same way.

Comment

Any photos out there of Roman forgeries? Was he going so far as to build BC rich bolt-on necks and put fake logos on there?

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                          Any photos out there of Roman forgeries? Was he going so far as to build BC rich bolt-on necks and put fake logos on there?
                          he built BCRich neck thrus complete with logo & even sometimes serial#s. there are many pics of the fakes. as a guy who played only BCRichs for a long time i can tell you, back in the day his fakes were very well made & would fool most of the people most of the time. a few yrs back i did a setup for a guy who had a supposedly vintage neckthru stealth, i believe it was a newer ed made guitar definitely was not a factory BCR. it wasnt very good at all. if your going to buy a BCR that isnt NEW, especially older ones watch out he made LOTS of them.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                            if your going to buy a BCR that isnt NEW, especially older ones watch out he made LOTS of them.
                            Any idea if he pumped out any Gunslingers or STIII's? If I were to buy an old one, it would be one of those.

Comment

Originally posted by Da' Melta' View Post
                              Wow! You guys just changed my mind about doing business with him.

I count myself lucky that I got away unscathed in my dealings with Ed.

Thanks for all the great experiences that you've posted. I'm sure War Pig feels the same way.
                              Yes, I do! Thanks guys!

And yes, I'm looking for an aluminum Roswell. Why? Well, I have this "thing" for strange/weird guitars. My collection looks like the Island of Misfit Toys...
                              WarPig____________________________________________
                              "Live every day as if it were your last...
                              ...one day it will be."

Comment

Did you try these guys (for an aluminum rosewell):

"Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

Working...
                                X