No announcement yet.

Ed Roman...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I asked about the aluminum Roswell myself and got a $10,000 quote and an offer to build me an "Area 51" (his version) for "only" $6000. If I'm spending that kind of money, I'll spend it at Jackson's CS and get the real thing.

Conversely, I had a fine experience with him and my RR1 graveyard. I guess it just depends on which way the wind is blowing that day....
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Comment

I dealt with him personally at NAMM several years ago...

Muahahhahahahahaha!
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by mattsmusiccenter View Post
        Though I doubt he'd build a metal Roswell, I'm pretty sure he was building Jackson copies at one point.
        I've been to his shop severl times over the years. I met Ed once and he and one of his workers were very rude. What assholes. And I was just at his store in November, it is right next door to where his "world's largest guitar showroom" used to be. He basically downsized and moved the repair/building operations to another location.

Anyways, I'd have to agree with Matt's comment that he is building Jackson copies. He had 6 or 7 USA Jacksons hanging on the wall. Two of them had reverse headstocks (a Kelly and a Rhoads) and when you saw them next to the other Jacksons, something wasn't right. For example, the serial number stamped into the last frets were a different size and spaced differently than the others. Not sure if these were "custom" because of the reverse headstocks but they looked very odd. I would be hard pressed to buy a guitar from him.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post

Muahahhahahahahaha!
          :ROTF: I remember that :ROTF:
          Hi Ron
          Rudy
          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post

Muahahhahahahahaha!
            I heared when you med Ed you really left am impression... of your foot
            In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Originally posted by stevoc View Post

THANKS !

There are actually two on Gbase right now!
              WarPig____________________________________________
              "Live every day as if it were your last...
              ...one day it will be."

Comment

I have dealt with him years ago. I called him and said I had $1000 and needed a good "do all" electric, no particular brand in mind. He would not talk to me.

Comment

Originally posted by vondran View Post
                  I like this one http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r...ckingbird/10/1. The guy orders a custom inlay with his name and it get mis-spelled.

I remember seeing someone else mention they sent into a BCRich to get a custom quilt top, and Ed misplaced it and ended up sending a $200 piece of junk after the kid spent several thousands. For all I heard, it's best to spend a little more elsewhere then go through him.
                  That guy is over on the GW forums, he told us the story. Had someone else build it after he took Ed to court.
                  Gibson SG Standard
                  Jackson DK2M Dinky
                  Silvertone S615 Acoustic from the 60's
                  Roland Micro Cube
                  Marshall MG100DFX

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                    he built BCRich neck thrus complete with logo & even sometimes serial#s. there are many pics of the fakes. as a guy who played only BCRichs for a long time i can tell you, back in the day his fakes were very well made & would fool most of the people most of the time. a few yrs back i did a setup for a guy who had a supposedly vintage neckthru stealth, i believe it was a newer ed made guitar definitely was not a factory BCR. it wasnt very good at all. if your going to buy a BCR that isnt NEW, especially older ones watch out he made LOTS of them.
                    I'm curious and haven't had any luck finding info or pics of these forgeries, do you have some links or info?

Comment

Here's a bonified Ed Roman-made BC Rich:

Comment

I was told by an attorney in the industry that Ed got busted for making fake PRS's and is in a world of poop.

Comment

I bought my Ibanez Voyager from him about 3 years ago. He wanted top dollar and even when I agreed to the price he conveyed through a salesman that he had already sold the same guitar for a a thousand more and was pissed he was letting this one go for less.

Needless to say I didn't budge on the price and he shipped me a mint NOS Reb Beach voyager. I was pretty happy with it and still have it.

Other than that I would definitely not buy from him again.

I visited the store in person 2 yrs ago right before he had to close ( supposedly) and all the guitars he had were either shop-worn or extremely overpriced.

He wanted 10K for a Richie Sambora double-neck.

The rest of the guitars were just custom-made clones...mostly weird looking guitars that didn't interest me.

Comment

When I went to his store a couple years ago he didn't have much there at all. Had some Jacksons, a lot of import deans, a wall full of low end stuff. a scattering of old kramers (including that double neck) but it looked like they were scaling way back. I remember how it was supposed to be this giant store and there wasn't anything that popped out. I don't actually remember seeing any of his custom stuff.
                            In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                              Here's a bonified Ed Roman-made BC Rich:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/msg/961696185.html
                              I gotta tell ya that this bass looks like a 10th grade wood shop project.......
                              Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                              http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
                                I gotta tell ya that this bass looks like a 10th grade wood shop project.......
                                Ha!

Here's another I am suspicious of. It looks like a MIJ NJ headstock, but with a USA decal, a suspiciously nice top on the body, and an overall strangeness. Opinions?

_________________________________________________
                                "Artists should be free to spend their days mastering their craft so that working people can toil away in a more beautiful world."
                                - Ken M

Comment

Working...
                                X