Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There is a new axe in my future but I need some info.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is a new axe in my future but I need some info.

Ok, it's just about that time. The Gas is getting the best of me and I feel a new aquisition looming on the horizon but I want to find just the right one to add to my family this time and for that, I need some info.

My main guitar is a 95 Charvel SDIII and I have to say, of all the guitars I have owned (and there have been many) nothing has ever fit me and become an extention of me like this guitar. Therein lies the problem. I have bought other guitars, only to be disapointed later when either comparing them with the SDII or swapping out onstage. Usually the difference is most notably in the tone, but often th's the feel of the neck.

This happened again last night. I was onstage, playing the SDIII, and a song came up in the list that I figured I'd swtch guitars on so I switched over to my DK2 and, while it's a great guitar, the difference in the necks were so glaring that it was actually affecting my playing. The DK2 was harder to play. I know the neck is thinner, but the fretboard seems flatter and wider and just wasn't comfortable after playing the SDIII for most of the night.

So My question is, when shopping for my new axe, what should I look for that's comparable to the SDIII neck wise? I don't know much about the neck sizes so I looked at the catalog scans for some info and all it said was the standard stuff (Pao ferro fretboard on a birdseye neck) It didn't really have any info on the dimensions, scale ect...

I'd love to find my SDIIIs cousin someday and pick up an SDIV from the same year, but I have yet to ever see one for sale..

One more question, would anyone know how the new Charvel Production model necks compared to the one I have?? I've really been looking at that Tele hard.
    Last edited by Robert Hendrix; 12-13-2008, 09:52 PM.
    Prosecutors will be violated...

try em out and see? best thing i can think of
    You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
      try em out and see? best thing i can think of
      Would love to. Send me one over and I'll try it out. There are no charvel dealers here, and very little available from the jackson dealers. So if I get something, it'll likely be ordered.

Comment

I have an SD1. I think their necks were 1-5/8" wide at the nut, unlike most J/C's which are 1-11/16".

Comment

Also, were the fretboard edges rolled on those? Meaning they didn't curve as sharply as the DK2M necks at the edges?

That has a lot to do with how a neck feels, especially the board (mostly around the base of the finger where you're more likely to drag your fingers when doing barre chords).

The new Charvels do have rolled board edges, and yes, the difference between the feel of them and a regular Jackson neck is night and day because of that.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
            Also, were the fretboard edges rolled on those? Meaning they didn't curve as sharply as the DK2M necks at the edges?

That has a lot to do with how a neck feels, especially the board (mostly around the base of the finger where you're more likely to drag your fingers when doing barre chords).

The new Charvels do have rolled board edges, and yes, the difference between the feel of them and a regular Jackson neck is night and day because of that.
            Hmmm, maybe that's the diff.. My DK2 has has binding so, no roll.

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver View Post
              I have an SD1. I think their necks were 1-5/8" wide at the nut, unlike most J/C's which are 1-11/16".
              I'm pretty sure the mid-90s SDs were all 1 & 11/16ths.

Anyway, sounds like your preferences might be: oiled neck, thin profile (but not too thin), no binding. And 24 frets may or may not be a factor.

Sounds like you may like one of the new Charvels. Depending on price range, either one of the USA Production or custom shop models.

If 24 frets is a factor, then custom shop is your only route for a new guitar. Otherwise, pick up another mid-90s SD on Fleabay. I'd suggest a PC1, but they have fat necks - much fatter than a SD, so you may not like 'em.

Here's a suggestion for 'ya, though... I like variety. It's cool to switch off between different specs. And, with time, your hands learn to adjust. Maybe give it a try.

Anyway, good luck.

Comment

I have the same issue with neck binding. It looks better but I like the feel of no binding better. Maybe try the charvel models with the toothpaste logos like a 550. Those that I have played sound like the neck profile you are looking for. The 90's SD that I have played always reminded me more of a fender strat neck then the typical J/C neck.

Comment

PM sent, Robert.

Comment

Yeah, sounds like you should probably look for another used SD*. And on that note.... PM sent as well
                    Popular is not the same as good
                    Rare is not the same as valuable
                    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                      I'm pretty sure the mid-90s SDs were all 1 & 11/16ths.

Anyway, sounds like your preferences might be: oiled neck, thin profile (but not too thin), no binding. And 24 frets may or may not be a factor.

Sounds like you may like one of the new Charvels. Depending on price range, either one of the USA Production or custom shop models.

If 24 frets is a factor, then custom shop is your only route for a new guitar. Otherwise, pick up another mid-90s SD on Fleabay. I'd suggest a PC1, but they have fat necks - much fatter than a SD, so you may not like 'em.

Here's a suggestion for 'ya, though... I like variety. It's cool to switch off between different specs. And, with time, your hands learn to adjust. Maybe give it a try.

Anyway, good luck.
                      Thanks, that exactly the info I was looking for. I don't think 22 vs 24 frets are a factor, I've played and owned 22 fret guitars before and didn't have a whole lot of touble adapting.

I agree with you about it being cool to switch off, and I'm not even thinking of not playing my BOF anymore, I'm just looking for something comparable to my SDIII for my next addition and wasn't sure exactly what was about the neck on it that felt so comfortable compared to other guits.

Comment

Working...
                      X