Compound Radius?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compound Radius?

Playing around in gc the other day, i picked up a dean razorback and noticed it had a very flat fretboard as compared to my ke3. Am I the only one who thinks that a dramatic curve on the board doesn't make much sense, considering that the bridge and nut are very, very flat?

Honestly, the fretboard really gets on my nerves sometimes. Is it just me?:think:

Yeah, give me a straight radius of 15" or so and I'm happy. I get the whole reason for having a more rounded radius, but I've had some guitars with 7.25" radius, and I don't really find open position chording any easier. I just hate how you have to crank up the action to avoid fretting out when bending notes.

Comment

I'm pretty flexible and get along with all kinds of necks & fretboards, but for me the 12 - 16 compound radius is the closest thing to perfect. Flatter up high for easy bends & no fretting out, but with some curve low on the neck for easy chording without cramping.

Some people are much more particular, though, and each player has to decide what's the best fit for them. Maybe you just need to go with a flatter radius all the way up the neck. If that means you have to play Dean or Ibanez, or you have to order customs, so be it. There are people who will dog you for choosing a certain brand or for not liking what they do. Find what you like, and enjoy! Life is short.

Comment

I have had two guitar necks refretted, and took the opportunity to apply a subtle compound radius to both. In one case is was to match the radius of the nut better, and in the other it was for the hell of it. In both cases, the guitars came out much better players. One was a flat 7 1/4" to 7 1/4" - 9", and the other was a flat 12" to a 12" - 14".

Comment

I like it. My roast beef sized hands have issues playing on really round radiused fretboards and for past the 12th it's fret the flatter the better.
          "Dear Dr. Bill,
          I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

The only problem I have with a compound radius is when it comes to dressing the frets; I have done many fret dressings and the real trick is not blowing through the the radius and making it straight. But overall I like a straight 16" radius.
            http://www.myspace.com/dannyjoecarterband
            http://www.youtube.com/user/dannyjoecarter

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
              Yeah, give me a straight radius of 15" or so and I'm happy. I get the whole reason for having a more rounded radius, but I've had some guitars with 7.25" radius, and I don't really find open position chording any easier. I just hate how you have to crank up the action to avoid fretting out when bending notes.

Exactly my sediment fretting out when bending is a major bummer.

Comment

Working...
              X