Pickup arangments????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup arangments????

I'm still waitng for my SL2H, and the reason I chose the SL2H is for the double humbucker in the bridge and neck positions. Soon as I get it I'll move the volume to the tone spot and put a toggle switch (for pickup selection) where the volume control is, and then throw away the pickup slector switch.
    My question is this. I've been playing for 20+ yrs, and I've never found a use for 5 position switches, or using the middle pickup. Do any of you ever use the middle pickup or use 2 at the same time? And if so why? Maybe when I musically mature, I'll understand [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    Although I'm sure its a preferance thing.
    Lates...

Re: Pickup arangments????

I use the 5 way switch on my Ibanez guitars for some awesome coil splitting sounds, and on my dual hum Ibanez guitars(RG3120 and RG7620) when you put the selector switch in the middle, you get a really awesome sound out of it.

On my Jackson Dinky I have my tone pot set up so that it splits the humbuckers. It has a 3 way switch.I use it as well for a lot of varities of sounds.

Comment

It really depends on what you want to create. One hum would fine for straight away metal/hard rock. But I play in cover bands that perform a huge array of music. I need options to create certain sounds/tones. So with certain music you just gotta have the variety that a multi pickup / multi switching guitar gives you.
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I play metal, but I could never get away with a single hum. I use the neck hum for scales and appregios, to get that warmer cleaner sound that I cant get with the bridge pickup. Actually its not really a warm clean sound its more of a low end sound. Where the bridge pickup gives more of a higher sound.
        When I'm sweet picking the bridge pickup is 90% of what I use.

Comment

I use the 4th position (neck and middle) for cleans because it's not as bassy as just the neck and not as "honky" as just the middle.
          Though if you found a good pickup for the middle (like a Classic Stack) then you'd get a much better sound out of it. I put a neck pickup in the middle slot and it sounds just as good as it did when it was in the neck - warm and sparkly.

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Like Word, I also have an Ibanez 7-string (RG7620) that's got two humbuckers with 5-way switching, and I really like the coil-splitting options I can get. My Fender Double Fat Strat also has two humbuckers with a five-way... position 2 is the 2 inner coils of both pups (my favorite position for clean sounds, the way John Petrucci has his middle position set up with just a 3-way toggle switch), position 4 is the top coil of the neck pup, but it's a true single coil sound with 60-cycle hum, so I don't use it too often, but it does sound good for warmer clean tones.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
            X