Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP!: Hey guys, make up my mind for me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!: Hey guys, make up my mind for me!

I have a few options at the moment and none of them seem to be perfect for me, which is why im having such a hard time deciding. Im looking for a Jackson Soloist or at least a USA Jackson and i have the following options...

First Option...

Buy a friend in americas old Jackson SL-1 with a Lightning Sky finish. The problem here is that it doesnt have the 2 single coils on it, they have been removed, so id have to spend £130 ($210) to bring it back to its original spec. I also have to pay tax on top of everything and this hikes the price of this up a fair bit and is only £100 short of a new one in the finish i really want, cherryburst. Of course the initial cost of this guitar was a little to high for me anyway, so a new one is pretty much out of the question

Second Option...

I save up and buy the new SL1 in cherry burst. The initial costs of this arent too bad and are on the upper limits of what i want to pay, but are still within reason. Of course, once the queen adds tax to that, im paying another £160 which takes it nicely out of reach

Third Option...

I buy a blow out KE-2 that is NOS for £950, this is more expenive than the first option and less than the second, but ive never actually played a USA Kelly. I love the Soloist, but the other guitarist in my band who has played one, and is also gassing for a soloist, says theyre not as nice, and he knows what i like.

Fourth Option

This one is what someone came up with the other day. I ask matt at onlinestagegear, the cheapest place ive found, to send the guitar, the cherryburst SL-1, as a gift or warrenty replacement, this would mean that i avoid paying the tax and would mean i could afford it ok, since the price on the guitar and delivery are great. I have a problem with this in that, ive never dealt or really spoken with OSG before and they could get into trouble over this (could they?) so i doubt they would do it, but the GAS bubbles in my brain are demanding that i at least brign it up with him. I know its dishonsest, but that tax is a *****. I also worry that if i did bring it up and they flat out refused to do it, they may not want to do business with me in the future should i find some more cash.

Im confused as hell, i know i have one great guitar at the moment, but its playing and sounding like a total dog at the moment and badly needs a good setup. The soloists ive played have been great and just what i like in a wank guitar, but i just dont know what to do. Its not really a question of saving a little mroe since i have uni coming up and this is gonna be my last splurge before i go, but i will need money to see me through, so spending £1000+ isnt really an endeering prospect.

Thoughts?

James

[ May 14, 2003, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: AgentOrange ]

Re: HELP!: Hey guys, make up my mind for me!

Only you can make the definite decision here. If the lack of two single coil pickups is stopping you from the first option, anyone here would sell you a pair of the J-200's for around $30 or so. They are not expensive pickups, so $200 is unrealistic for them. You wouldn't want Matt to send the guitar as a gift because not only is it illegal, but if damages occur you're screwed.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I say save up and buy it from OSG, (that's what I am doing [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] SL2H-MAH Soloist in trans-blue [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] ). Your going to have this guitar for a long time and you going to want to be happy with it and the only way you are going to do that is by getting the exact guitar that you want, right?
      It is the best option that I see.

Nek

Comment

You wouldn't want Matt to send the guitar as a gift because not only is it illegal, but if damages occur you're screwed.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That pretty much summs it up. From what I have seen you NEVER want to ship anything uninsured. Probably only 1 in 100 or 200 guitars actualy gets damaged, but that is a mondo risk to take just save a couple hundred bucks.

Don't worry, asking me a simple question will not make me refuse to sell ya a guitar. Even that punk kid, who used to be a forum member, still got quotes from me after he cursed me out in an email cause he didn't like the fact that the Custom Shop takes 12 months and that Jackson won't change his hardware all around for free.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750:
          Only you can make the definite decision here. If the lack of two single coil pickups is stopping you from the first option, anyone here would sell you a pair of the J-200's for around $30 or so. They are not expensive pickups, so $200 is unrealistic for them. You wouldn't want Matt to send the guitar as a gift because not only is it illegal, but if damages occur you're screwed.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">well i was just looking for opinions and maybe other ideas. The replacement Duncan classic stacks will run $200 over here. Thats the reason i didnt want to even bring it up, i dont want to get screwed over this, but it was just a suggestion someone from HC gave me.

thanks

James

Comment

Originally posted by OnlineStageGear:
            That pretty much summs it up. From what I have seen you NEVER want to ship anything uninsured. Probably only 1 in 100 or 200 guitars actualy gets damaged, but that is a mondo risk to take just save a couple hundred bucks.

Don't worry, asking me a simple question will not make me refuse to sell ya a guitar. Even that punk kid, who used to be a forum member, still got quotes from me after he cursed me out in an email cause he didn't like the fact that the Custom Shop takes 12 months and that Jackson won't change his hardware all around for free.

Matt
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">hey man, it only just dawned on me that ODG actually sponsers this place [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] . Im still really confused about what to do, but if i do get the cash, and ever want to spend that much before uni, be sure that ill give you a call

James

Comment

just found out i will end up paying the tax on any package over a certain cash value anyway, so it looks like im gonna have to hunt for a good used one anyway, or live with the hacked up SL-1

Comment

IMO, the hacked up SL1 sounds like a good idea. You can always just live with the single humbucker until you can afford the two single coils (or add a push/pull tap for the volume control to split the humbucker into single coil mode). Also, it's not like you'll need to put the same single coils that were original in it back in. You might find some better sounding, not as expensive pups that will be just fine.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

or you could check out the Classifieds here, ask lots of questions and get lots of photos, and pick up something sweet, secondhand and complete, and have it shipped over. It'll a lot cheaper than a new guitar, and lower the tax you'll pay on it as well.

Not wanting to do Matt out of a sale, but if finances are that tight, maybe this would be a better option for you right now?
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                  X