Pointy headstocks and staying in tune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pointy headstocks and staying in tune

Hello folks, I'm in the early stages of planning out another Charvel/Jackson based project (sorry, no patience for the custom shop) and I had a somewhat silly question about pointy headstocks and staying in tune.

I've haven't playing a Charvel/Jackson that had a standard nut in a long, long time but my recollection of it was that without a locking nut, keeping such guitars in tune (just normal playing, no using the v-trem or anything) was a little tricky. The reason I ask is because I really don't want a locking trem for this next guitar.

Logically, I know that a non-locking pointy has to stay in tune reasonably well or folks wouldn't buy them but we're not dealing with logic here. This is a primal fear. I know that locking tuners are going to help a bit but I'm pretty good at winding string well to being with. The real tricky area is the nut and the angle of the strings through it.

I'd love Charvel Stratheads but finding a Strathead w/out a locking nut is going to be darn impossible and because this is a project, I wouldn't want to desecrate what would probably be a vintage guitar (or priced like on). Even then, I abhor heel trussrod adjustment so that pretty much nullifies any chance of getting a non-locking trem Charvel Strat head.

In closing, if you can help alleviate my fears, that would be great. If not, I will have to give my project some serious thought.

I had a lowly kvx10 tunomatic bridge that stayed in tune fairly well....

The nut and the bridge are pretty important when it comes to stabillity, if you get a decent nut and decent bridge, I'm building a strat with a wilkinson VSVG as used by andy timmons which should hopefully have pretty good tuning stabillity along with a graphite nut and locking tuners...

Where are you getting the neck from a charvel/jackson neck that has been swapped or new one from warmoth?

If you dont want locking tuners I found the gotoh tuners to be very good and stable...

Comment

My Model 1A has no tuning issues. I don't use the trem at all, treating it like a hard tail. But tuning stability has been fine
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by ozzuk1 View Post
        I had a lowly kvx10 tunomatic bridge that stayed in tune fairly well....
        Well that's encouraging.

The nut and the bridge are pretty important when it comes to stabillity, if you get a decent nut and decent bridge, I'm building a strat with a wilkinson VSVG as used by andy timmons which should hopefully have pretty good tuning stabillity along with a graphite nut and locking tuners...
        I'm with ya on that. I prefer Strat hardtails over tunamatics so that pretty much rules out current production Jacksons.

Where are you getting the neck from a charvel/jackson neck that has been swapped or new one from warmoth?
        All I'm looking to do, project-wise, is probably just change the pickups and get it refinished it with graphics. I want a 2 hum body so I won't have a problem finding a Charvel/Jackson with that config which means I will be buying a complete guitar. I wouldn't go with a Warmoth neck because their pointy headstock is not exactly the same as a Charvel/Jackson. I also really want the name on the headstock and neckplate which means I'm going to buy the real deal.

If you dont want locking tuners I found the gotoh tuners to be very good and stable...
        I don't mind locking tuners but for regular use, I just find I dont' need them, that's all.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
          My Model 1A has no tuning issues. I don't use the trem at all, treating it like a hard tail. But tuning stability has been fine
          That's also encouraging though I do need to keep in mind that some folks can knock guitars out of tune easier than others.

Comment

I think you'll be fine.
            You may have to fine tune the nut slot on your G, B, or E string, but once you do, and if you keep a little lube in there, everything will be everythang.
            I like this stuff called Quantum Hot Sauce, made for fishing reels.
            It has teflon in it, or some other such goodie that hangs around a while.
            Also great for trem pivot posts/knife edges.

Good luck with the project! Please post pics when you can, at all stages.
            "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
            --floydkramer

Comment

No issues with my Charvel 750XL, but it's fitted with a graphite nut.

Would a reverse headstock pointy have more issues than a regular headstock?

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
                I think you'll be fine.
                You may have to fine tune the nut slot on your G, B, or E string, but once you do, and if you keep a little lube in there, everything will be everythang.
                I like this stuff called Quantum Hot Sauce, made for fishing reels.
                It has teflon in it, or some other such goodie that hangs around a while.
                Also great for trem pivot posts/knife edges.

Good luck with the project! Please post pics when you can, at all stages.
                Thank you. I will keep all that in mind.

As far as pics of the project, I'm afraid the only pics of it will be when it's done.

Mike Learn's finishing up the paint job for my current project right now which will be very appealing to anyone from New Hampshire (like you, me and K).

Comment

I think having the pointy headstock which is angled back is a plus as far as non-locking nuts go. The reason is there will be plenty of downward force keeping the strings in the slots, without having to add string retainers. Like mentioned above though, the nut needs to be nice and slick to avoid binding.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                    Like mentioned above though, the nut needs to be nice and slick to avoid binding.
                    Yes and the Charvels I played without locking nuts were out-of-the-box Model 1s which undoubtedly would need some set-up loving.

There's a San Dimas reissue on the 'bay right now with pretty much the features I want. It's got a v-trem which will work fine for my needs and even though the person selling it will take offers, the BIN price is ludicrous IMHO ($2099).

Comment

It is all in the nut.
                      Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                      http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

I don't think that you'll have a problem finding a pointy J/C neck with no locking nut as all of the Model series Charvel and some Jackson necks have regular nuts and Kahler style behind the nut string locks. Those necks are on Ebay all the time at "fairly" reasonable costs and all you'd have to do is remove the string lock. It would leave four small screw holes by the trussrod cover, but those could easily be filled with a touch of epoxy and touched up with black gloss paint or somethin of that nature, and voila........you have a J/C pointy neck with no locking nut nor string lock. You could get any type that you'd like as well Sharkies, dots, maple, resewood, maybe even ebony if you find a Jackson neck with the behind the string lock.....the choices are out there, that's for sure.
                        Good luck on your project!!
                        I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
                          It is all in the nut.

Love that movie.

Comment

no problems here with my '08 RR1T, if strung correctly it holds tune almost as good as my SL2H! Go for it

Comment

as long as there's nothing wrong with your tuners and your strings are properly stretched, you shouldn't have any tuning issues. i have 2 with traditional nuts (he he he he) and have no problems, once my strings are stretched.

i don't know if there's any real advantage to the angled headstock, but it sure feels like there is, doesn't it?
                              198? Charvel Model 2B s/n 245085
                              1987 Charvel Model 6 s/n C707218
                              2001 SL2H Black Pearl s/n U09404
                              2006 SL2HT Burnt Cherry Sunburst s/n U18151
                              2008 USA C/S Soloist Soft Arch Carved Top Tiger Eye JA0510
                              2009 Adrian Smith Dinky s/n 006666 (Ebony Fretboard)
                              2009 Adrian Smith Dinky s/n 007066 (Maple Freboard)

Comment

Working...
                              X