No announcement yet.

Ed Roman now copies the Demon and War Angel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm surprised FMIC hasn't gone after him for this.
    Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

Originally posted by mattsmusiccenter View Post
      I'm surprised FMIC hasn't gone after him for this.
      Me too, I'm sure he'll slip somewhere legally and then the whole thing will explode. I'm surprised he's gotten away with it this long.
      Ratt & Roll

Comment

I'd have expected them to go after him over the Demon, but then again, there's the 540P to consider, so....

I see he did get a note from them over his Roswell attempt.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Shreddy View Post
          Me too, I'm sure he'll slip somewhere legally and then the whole thing will explode. I'm surprised he's gotten away with it this long.
          I don't know if I agree.
          If Fender sets precedent against Ed, then you can see them going after Strat and Tele shaped makers too.

As a matter of fact, I don't agree,now that I'm thinking of it.
          Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I think what Newc is refering to is "Public Domain" that after so many years everyone can use a copyright? Like the strat and LP body shapes, Warangle is too new.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatpicker View Post
              I don't know if I agree.
              If Fender sets precedent against Ed, then you can see them going after Strat and Tele shaped makers too.

As a matter of fact, I don't agree,now that I'm thinking of it.
              Ahh, True, that point didn't even cross my mind. I agree with you a 100%, Fender would have a tough time going after the large number of other companies.
              Ratt & Roll

Comment

I don't know if Fender and Gisbon ever patented, trademarked, or copyrighted their shapes, but I seem to recall hearing/reading something about "presumed trademark" or somesuch where basically a product's silhouette/outline is as much a "trademark" as the physical product.

I'm sure the lawyers would argue that exact dimensions win out over pencil-and-paper tracings or "shadows-on-the-wall".
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
                  I think what Newc is refering to is "Public Domain" that after so many years everyone can use a copyright? Like the strat and LP body shapes, Warangle is too new.
                  Here's the trick,
                  Neither shape would be considered "Public Domain" yet. If you can protect the actual shapes.Which hasn't been proven they can do yet.
                  They would not be until 20 years after the original mark or non-renewal. Where Fender and Gibson made their mistakes were in originally allowing other companies to copy the shapes. Much like how Q-tips almost lost their brand name to "common usage".

Now a few years ago, Fender had tried to protect their shapes, but the horse has already left the barn as far as I'm concerned. Imagine if Fender had won that suit. There would be no Shur, no Anderson, and quite frankly, no Jackson or Charvel.

Ed, in this case, is a necessary evil when you are competing against much bigger organizations who can simply outspend the little guy at the legal level.

I don't like it, as I think Ed is not a good guy, but believe he has the right to do this.
                  Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I am fairly sure that Dimebag had copyrighted the stealth body shape and had allowed Washburn to make them, and after signing with Dean the Dime estate allowed the shape to be done again, and Washburn's "liscense" to produce was no more.

Comment

Originally posted by Kizarney View Post
                      I am fairly sure that Dimebag had copyrighted the stealth body shape and had allowed Washburn to make them, and after signing with Dean the Dime estate allowed the shape to be done again, and Washburn's "liscense" to produce was no more.
                      Could be, the question becomes "Has it ever been fought in court?"
                      Would Dime's estate be able to maintain that copyright if it was fought?

Nobody's ever tried to take it the distance. You can probably fight the Dime copyright, trademark, whatever it is, as the Stealth is really just a beveled ML,which is a Star that has an elongated lower bout, which is really just an Explorer with it's ass cut off etc etc. But you have to have the money and the interest in doing so.
                      It's not worth it with the Dime designs as you won't make your money back over time.
                      Probably the same reason FMIC won't chase Ed for the Death Angel. It's just not worth the investment in $$.

See where I'm going with this?

Comment

I thought Rick Derringer designed the BC Rich Stealth? Wasn't he using it before Schuldiner and Dime?

Comment

Thats a different stealth, I am talking these Stealth bodies

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                            I thought Rick Derringer designed the BC Rich Stealth? Wasn't he using it before Schuldiner and Dime?
                            I don't know.
                            I always thought it was a Bernie sr. design?

Comment

Originally posted by Kizarney View Post
                              Thats a different stealth, I am talking these Stealth bodies
                              http://www.deanguitars.com/dean_wint...stealth_en.htm
                              Very similar though. Could be the same design very easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                                Yup, and with my blessing. Fuller's ordered one and because it's a Jackson, I had no problem with it. Feel free to do it with a pointyhead and Charvel logo if you want.

My concern is the "Randy Rhoads" scenario - maybe the guy who ordered it from E.R. is destined to be "the next big thing", and he's going to use my design to do it. Suddenly Ed Roman Guitars is thrust into the spotlight just as Jackson was with Rhoads.

If the guy can't be persuaded to change to Jackson, he'll have to settle for another design. This design is not open to the general population of guitar builders - that includes Fender, Carvin, Warmoth, Gibson, ESPee, Ibenhad, Kramer, Hamer, even GMW or PRS or Warrior.

It's a Jackson exclusive. Anyone who wants to order one from Jackson is welcome to do so as far as I'm concerned.
                                I saw the one at Fuller's on their website. I will have to stop by there this week and see it in person. I am definitely not crazy about the color, but I want to see how it feels in my hands.

Can you post pics of yours, or pm them to me? I would love to get more info about that guitar.
                                1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom
                                Jackson SLATQH
                                Jackson DK2M Inferno Red
                                Jackson DK2M With a Learn Custom Paint Job
                                Jackson DKMGT (project)
                                Kramer Focus 1000
                                Ibanez SDGR Bass
                                Ovation Celebrity
                                Martin Backpacker

Comment

Working...
                                X