Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flatpicker View Post
    I don't know.
    I always thought it was a Bernie sr. design?
    No, Derringer designed the BC Rich Stealth. Of course this is going completely O/T now, since the original poster was talking about Dean and not BCR...

Proto...

The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

I also saw today where Ed Roman will build you a 335 copy complete with a graphic of Joe Perrys wife on it. Now I don't see how the hell he isn't going to get sued for that one...........and it isn't like Perry, Aerosmith , Gibson, or his wife can't afford a GOOD lawyer.

Hell, I'm sure SHE can cause one day Joe is going to find out just how good a lawyer she knows how to hire.
      Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
      98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

Ah, ok, didn't know about the Dean Stealth/Pointy ML Star thingy. I didn't keep track of his different models. I knew he had the Star thing, then went pointy with it, but didn't know he called it a Stealth.

Anyhoo, now Ed's trying to get me into a phone conversation. I guess he thinks I'm some dumbass that will fall for the silver tongue of a true salesman
        Boy is he in for a shock
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

You need to post an MP3 recording of that call haha!

Ask him if he remembers meeting Ron. (Or Ron's foot lol!)
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
            You need to post an MP3 recording of that call haha!

Ask him if he remembers meeting Ron. (Or Ron's foot lol!)
            oh yeah.. you need to do that
            You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

Here's a snippet from his last email:

I must talk with you or your attorney or legal representative.

I cannot do anything based on receiving an email from someone who does not even leave a phone number.

Obviously you have not been involved in this kind of thing before.
              In the email I sent him to which this is the reply, I apologized for not calling sooner since I had been busy (worked all weekend), and said basically that the guitar has already been built for the guy, so there's nothing that can be done about it. I did, however, respectfully request that it remain a one-off, and that if the guy came back for another, to please alter the design significantly or direct him to Jackson if he's unwilling to accept another design.

That's fair IMO. Certainly, if I had sent in a Hamer Scarab design to Jackson before the Scarab was a known model (i.e. it was a one-off for Hamer, not a production model), then was asked to see Hamer in the future or redesign it, I would.

But that's just me.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

UPDATE:

So douchebag sends me an email Wednesday saying he's halted production for the last 21 days waiting for me to scrounge up a lawyer and to call him. Awww, how considerate.

I emailed Mike Kotzen and filled him in on it, asking if Jackson could speak with the guy since it is, in fact, what I consider to be a Jackson design. That's why I never sought a copyright on it.

In retrospect, I shoulda. But...

So I replied to Mr Ed that he should take it up with JCMI.

Originally posted by IdiotBoy
                Who Is JCMI ?????????????

How's about a PHONE NUMBER !!!!!!!!!!!

Now, I've expressely stated that it's a "JACKSON USA" design, which I did bequeath unto them given that it is in fact an amalgamation of 2 existing JACKSON USA designs, and he wants to know who JCMI is?

Whaddadouche.

So, I replied:

"Jackson/Charvel Manufacturing Incorporated"

and "Fine, if you really think a high-pressure-sales call will change my mind, feel free to try" and included my number.

I'll get my lavalier mic setup going on my phone and record it, as I'm sure he'll be doing the same.

Hey Ron, if he asks if I know a "Ken Francis", what should I say? "Yeah, and he sends kisses" or "Ummm, no, doesn't ring a bell"
                Last edited by Newc; 03-07-2009, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Thats some funny stuff there Newc Keep the updates coming
                  Rudy
                  www.metalinc.net

Comment

I would have made him pay me a liscencing fee for the ones he already made then sicked FMIC on him.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post

Hey Ron, if he asks if I know a "Ken Francis", what should I say? "Yeah, and he sends kisses" or "Ummm, no, doesn't ring a bell"
                      :ROTF: Bwahahahaha! Well, let me recall what I said to him at the time: I think it was something like "A bunch of guys wanted me to give you this message" So I didn't mention JCF, although word may have got to him later. Better to disavow all knowledge in this case, bud!
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by missionguitars1 View Post
                        FWIW, you can not copyright a guitar body design. Head stocks, yes, but bodies, no. The copyright office has deemed that all guitar bodies are of essentially the same design.

Yes, I know that's nuts, but that's how the government works...

Fender is still trying to get the strat and tele design back into the fold, but they have been unsuccessful to date.

As for a logo/company name where there's no actual product involved (ie, the name of a company), you'd want to file for a service mark. You can get the Nolo book and do it yourself (about a $300 filing fee), or hire an attorney (add $200 to $300) - simple work for them, boilerplate forms that a paralegal will handle...legalzoom.com might be a good alternative too.
                        Wrong.
                        This pulled from the FMIC website -

FENDER®, STRATOCASTER®, STRAT®, TELECASTER®, TELE®, P BASS®, PRECISION BASS®, and the distinctive headstock and body designs of the STRATOCASTER, TELECASTER and P BASS guitars are trademarks of Fender Musical Instruments Corporation.

Besides, even if Newc could get Jackson to apply for a legal copyright, Roman can continue to build these guitars because he built this design BEFORE any copyright was established- allowing him to continue to build with a free pass from any future copyrights.
                        Strat God Music
                        http://www.esnips.com/web/Strat-God-Music/?flush=1

Comment

But if I could establish "first article" (I think that's what it's called?) showing that mine was the first one to appear in both 2-dimensional form (the mockup I posted when I placed the order) as well as the first one to appear in physical form (Work Order 2006, my WarAngel), as well as provide evidence that both were seen by several witnesses before anyone else's (everyone who viewed the original mockup thread as well as the pics when it was on Jackson's website, including the Jackson employees who worked on it from start to finish as well as the dealer who handled the order), could I not use that as a means to establish a "retro-active" copyright of sorts?

Comment

And how does one classify a guitar body in the copyright process?

Form TX is used for non-dramatic literary works, including fiction, non-fiction, poetry, brochures, reference works, online works and computer programs.

Form PA is used for musical works, screenplays, drama, choreographic works, motion pictures and other audiovisual works.

Form VA is used for visual arts, including pictures, drawings, paintings, graphics, sculptures, charts, maps and architectural works.

I'd say Form VA since it includes Sculptures, which are 3-dimensional works, however, are they classified as "Art" or "objects"? Would the guitar body be classified as an "object"?

Is there a special category for guitar bodies? I see that PRS has the same "copyright" info for their body shapes, as does Gibson and Fender.

What category/form did they use?

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                              :ROTF: Bwahahahaha! Well, let me recall what I said to him at the time: I think it was something like "A bunch of guys wanted me to give you this message" So I didn't mention JCF, although word may have got to him later. Better to disavow all knowledge in this case, bud!
                              Call me a newfag is you must; but what is the story on this? I've caught bits and pieces of this story and it seems pretty funny, but I'd like to hear the whole thing

Comment

Not in public

Comment

Working...
                                X