Tell me the difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me the difference

I know this might be sacreligious but I have never played a solist I am on my third model 6 I also have a 5fx candy apple red, 5a cobalt 3dr candy I have always wanted a jackson. I am not a pro I just play for fun how much better are the jacksons for someone like me? I would have to sell at least two of the ones I have to get a jackson I want would it beworth it or should I just be happy with what I have thanks. I looked on the FAQ about posting pics but I cant seem to fiure it out it says i cant attach at the bottom of the page :think::think:
    Last edited by winnjammer; 02-05-2009, 09:42 AM.

Well, the Jackson soloist is a neckthrough and says Jackson on the headstock. The Charvel Model 6 is a neckthrough and says Charvel on the headstock. :think:
    They both can be made from different woods which would produce different tones, easily replicated with some EQ tweaking and pickup configuration.
    I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

I know that basic difference what I want to know is the a night and day difference for a novice player all of my neckthrough guitars have been moded in one way or another my model 6 has ofr and evos my 5fx has ofr and emg 81ad sa my 5a has l500 and jt6 I know most of the sl have ebony fret boards there is no place around were I live to play a soloist to see how much different they play

Comment

I believe the neck shape is a little different...it really all comes down to personal preference. I'd really try to find a local Jackson dealer and try to play a few.
        Scott

Comment

Neck profiles on both soloists and Model 6 vary greatly. If you really have your heart set on getting a soloist, then get one because if that's what you want you probably won't be satisfied until you get it. There will be many people pointing out many differences in both models, but both models have variances in their own model. Good luck and find peace of mind. Just buy the damn soloist....J
          I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

try guitar works in greenwood. I bought a use custom shop there 10 years ago and they always had jacksons.I am org from IN.Now KS, thus middle of no where!
            Last edited by john.w.lawson; 02-05-2009, 11:01 AM.

Comment

As far as build quality and fret work both are great. Honestly it comes down to what name you want on the headstock. Personally I don't care much for the active boost system. Change out the pick ups and put on a floyd for the JT 6 (87s/88s) and you have a soloist with a Charvel headstock at half the price.

Comment

Charvel Model 5/6 guitars differ a lot from modern-day Soloists. The Floyd on the Charvels is not recessed and the neck is angled back as a result. The neck heel is a different shape. A late '80s Soloist would be a lot more like a Charvel Model, and actually doesn't sell for a whole lot more these days.

The overall tone quality on a Soloist is likely to be higher than on a Charvel Model (and yes, I've owned a whole bunch of both). Mostly because the necks on the Jacksons are quartersawn and because more care is used in selecting the individual pieces of lumber used to make USA Jacksons. Obviously, they can vary a lot--I'm talking about averages.

If you just play occasionally, the difference in quality might not be enough to matter. The Charvel Models were made exceptionally well by the standards of entry-level models, and they play as well as guitars costing a lot more, including many USA Jacksons. All of the Charvel Models I've owned have been fantastic players by any standard. For me, it's usually the sound quality that distinguishes them.
                Last edited by pro-fusion; 02-05-2009, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion View Post
                  The Charvel Models were made exceptionally well by the standards of entry-level models, and they play as well as guitars costing a lot more, including many USA Jacksons. All of the Charvel Models I've owned have been fantastic players by any standard. For me, it's usually the sound quality that distinguishes them.
                  Remember, we say entry level, but a Model 6 back then cleared $1000, so they weren't really priced at the entry level, not when you could get much cheaper imports. Consider in 1993, my new Gibson SG was $400. You get an idea of what kind of quality you got from import Charvels (at least the model series).
                  -------------------------
                  Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                    Remember, we say entry level, but a Model 6 back then cleared $1000, so they weren't really priced at the entry level, not when you could get much cheaper imports. Consider in 1993, my new Gibson SG was $400. You get an idea of what kind of quality you got from import Charvels (at least the model series).
                    The Model 6 was nowhere near $1,000. In 1986, I distinctly recall that the Model 5 sold for $600 and the Model 6 sold for $700. Not cheap, but not as expensive as Jacksons or Les Pauls of that time. If you got an SG for $400 in '93, it must have been the bargain version.

Comment

look at the scan over 1000. 1987......! 600. I will assume you were smoking some pot back then
                      Last edited by john.w.lawson; 02-05-2009, 05:01 PM.

Comment

I thought Jackson only used quartersawn necks since the start, or at least started using them on the production models in 86?

The Model 5 and 6 Charvels were the top of the line Charvels, not entry level. The entry level models were the 1 and 2, the mid-range models were the 3 and 4, then later the 7.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I bought my first model six in 1988 it was a cobalt 87 I paid 800 for it and the guy told me he was selling it cheep because he spent to much at NAMM and needed the money and the room. There was a shop in Charlotte called Reliable music and the sold tons of both and I know I beat their price by two 0r three hundred.
                          Last edited by winnjammer; 02-05-2009, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Keep your charvels , since you already have made good mods there not enough of a difference to justify the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                              I thought Jackson only used quartersawn necks since the start, or at least started using them on the production models in 86?

The Model 5 and 6 Charvels were the top of the line Charvels, not entry level. The entry level models were the 1 and 2, the mid-range models were the 3 and 4, then later the 7.

+1400.00 to be exact

Comment

Working...
                              X