No announcement yet.

Tell me the difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Enough said.....j
      I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post
        look at the scan over 1000. 1987......! 600. I will assume you were smoking some pot back then
        That might have been the list price, but it wasn't the retail price. I remember it well, but I couldn't even come up with $700 for a Model 6 at the time.

Comment

A model 3 was 700. model 5 950. so maybe you saw a used on some where? or price slashing old models...freaking cat scan is not showing,or you would see they were over 1000. 1388. i think it says.

Comment

Ebony fingerboad on soloist.. not on charvel..

Comment

A model 3 was 700. model 5 950. so maybe you saw a used on some where? or price slashing old models...freaking cat scan is not showing,or you would see they were over 1000. 1388. i think it says.
              Street price was $850 for a New Model 6.... Retail price was over $1300.
              Here is a thread I posted several years ago about mine.

Comment

I got my price for a Model 6 circa. '86 from Audiozone. Soloist Pro circa. '90-95 with ebony fingerboard was $1599 I think. It also had the JT-590 bridge, so I don't think Model 6's were entry level. If they were, then your soloist Pro's and all the reknowned Pro's were also entry level. Do not argue with me about what is stated on Audiozone. I am not the keeper of the grail. I have just become a reader of it. You cannot pick and choose which to believe from it. It is either all true or all false. You decide.

Comment

Originally posted by slash View Post
                  Street price was $850 for a New Model 6.... Retail price was over $1300.
                  Here is a thread I posted several years ago about mine.
                  http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...ighlight=model
                  You have a very nice Model 6, Slash. I am sure store prices are varied from area to area. Some places where Charvel/Jackson guitars were not popular, I am sure they saw guitars go out the door for less than their suggested retail price. Nonetheless, a Jackson Soloist Pro with the same options as a Charvel Model 6, had a $950 suggested retail price, whereas the Model 6 had a suggest retail price of $1388. That is a four year older guitar.

Comment

I'm going off my memory of the prices of brand new Charvels in 1986. You're going off a listing of "suggested retail prices", which is not what they actually sold for. Slash at least $100 off of those to see what stores actually marked them at.

Of course, 1986 was the first year of production and the catalog you're referring to is 1987, so maybe the prices went up quickly. But I know for sure that the Model 5 I lusted after in 1986 was not over $700 at Portland Music Co.

Doesn't really matter, and we've gotten a bit off track. It was the entry-level *neckthru Jackson/Charvel*, which was really my point. It was obviously expensive compared to a Hondo. But compared to a $1,500+ Jackson Soloist, it was quite affordable.
                    Last edited by pro-fusion; 02-06-2009, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Here are the '88 list prices & some of the Sam Ash discount prices at the time:

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion View Post
                        I'm going off my memory of the prices of brand new Charvels in 1986. You're going off a listing of "suggested retail prices", which is not what they actually sold for. Slash at least $100 off of those to see what stores actually marked them at.

Of course, 1986 was the first year of production and the catalog you're referring to is 1987, so maybe the prices went up quickly. But I know for sure that the Model 5 I lusted after in 1986 was not over $700 at Portland Music Co.

Doesn't really matter, and we've gotten a bit off track. It was the entry-level *neckthru Jackson/Charvel*, which was really my point. It was obviously expensive compared to a Hondo. But compared to a $1,500+ Jackson Soloist, it was quite affordable.

once again the model 6 had a higher retail price then the base line soloist.with that being said again! a bird in hand is worth two in a bush,so if you dont have it or have not played it for yourself nothing we say matter's
                        good luck in your search for a soloist.

Comment

once again the model 6 had a higher retail price then the base line soloist.
                          I have no idea where you're getting that idea, but here's the '84 price list showing a Soloist Student with no trem at $1300, and $1520 with a Kahler:

Here's the '88 import Charvel price list with the highest MSRP the Model 6 ever had, which was $1149.95:

Comment

pro_fusion,if I am correct you are going of the audio cat for the 1,500. soloist? Which means you could slash 100 off of and then some to see what they really sold for.Is this true or is it only charvels were this theme works?

Comment

google jackson dinky std pro,hit the first link to audiozone scroll down and there will be a price list! 90-95.go to the top find the link to charvels and you will find they also have a price list.

Comment

Originally posted by winnjammer View Post
                                I know this might be sacreligious but I have never played a solist I am on my third model 6 I also have a 5fx candy apple red, 5a cobalt 3dr candy I have always wanted a jackson. I am not a pro I just play for fun how much better are the jacksons for someone like me? I would have to sell at least two of the ones I have to get a jackson I want would it beworth it or should I just be happy with what I have thanks. I looked on the FAQ about posting pics but I cant seem to fiure it out it says i cant attach at the bottom of the page :think::think:
                                Back to the business at hand. Keep what you have. There really isn't that big of a differece between the two. As I said earlier it comes down to what name you want on your headstock. Yeah, the newer soloist have recessed trems and ebony fret boards. If a few upgrades really make you want to sell off all of your Charvels too buy one soloist do it, it's your money.

Personally, I would just keep the Charvels and be very happy.

Comment

Working...
                                X