Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else want to see Jackson/Charvel evolve and go "mainstream"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For my next CS order I should do a whole new body and headstock shape. I wonder if they would approve it... or if they would freak out because it would not look metal.

Comment

Sounds to me like this is more of a rant in frustration of sorts rather than a direct grumble at jacksons marketing / production in particular. When you look at all the shapes, woods, graphics etc. I think Jackson has more variety than any of the other guitar manufacturers and they have an immediately identifiable image. There have been a few new variations in production models in the last few years like the RR24, with maple board etc and the like, the SLS3, demmel V. The variety in custom shop is awesome. Compare this to the fender shop where you will probably get a strat in a different colour. There is amount of weight placed on heritage in terms of guitar brands aswell. If you want a strat buy a strat (same company), if you want a les paul get one, if you want Prince's long horned esp (i think it was esp) get one off ebay or a luthier to make you one. However, there may be some scope for Jackson doing a les paul type, given the finishing quality of the gibsons that have been hitting the UK. Perhaps bring the sls usa back but with a tuneomatic bridge.

Comment

Sounds to me like this is more of a rant in frustration of sorts rather than a direct grumble at jacksons marketing / production in particular. When you look at all the shapes, woods, graphics etc. I think Jackson has more variety than any of the other guitar manufacturers and they have an immediately identifiable image. There have been a few new variations in production models in the last few years like the RR24, with maple board etc and the like, the SLS3, demmel V. The variety in custom shop is awesome. Compare this to the fender shop where you will probably get a strat in a different colour. There is amount of weight placed on heritage in terms of guitar brands aswell. If you want a strat buy a strat (same company), if you want a les paul get one, if you want Prince's long horned esp (i think it was esp) get one off ebay or a luthier to make you one. However, there may be some scope for Jackson doing a les paul type, given the finishing quality of the gibsons that have been hitting the UK. Perhaps bring the sls usa back but with a tuneomatic bridge.

Comment

You just said that

Anyhoo, yes, Jackson offers more variety than most other places - as long as you only want a Kelly, Soloist, Rhoads, Warrior, King V, or a direct derivative of those (Demmel, etc).

What me and AK are saying is that we want to see more than just "Metal" icons. We want Jackson going head to head with Gibson, Hamer, and even Fender for the same non-Metal markets those companies target and pretty much dominate. The mainstream markets that have more money just because there's more people in that market to spend money.

You can put a "10 Top" on a Rhoads all you want, it's still a Rhoads and is not going to get Carlos Santana's attention. You're not going to see Jazz/Fusion heroes like Arte Traum or John Scofield using a Soloist just because it has a quilted maple top.
          Just because I'm sick enough to use a Warrior at a Country gig doesn't mean anyone else is.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I am going to put my money where my mouth is draw up a new body and headstock. I will even design a new logo and submit it to the CS for price quote. I need a few days to draw everything up.

I already have a real good idea for the logo desgin headstock shape and body. It will either be total bad ass and blow everyone away or it will suck major donkey balls.

Comment

Here's my opinion: in general, for established companies, new models fail.

Now, thats not to say that you shouldn't try new models, only hat you have a small percentage chance that they won't make it.

Anyone remember the last new models introduced by Fender, Gibson or Hamer? Gibson had those Blueshawks and the Les Paul double cut - great guitars I'm sure, but both died a slow death. Fender? They're pretty derivtive - strat or tele at every pricepoint and once in while some amoeba shape from the archives that the alt-rockers like. Hamers basically got one model and everyonce in a while they show up on a magazine cover with some fat single cutaway with a really back neck to body joint.

Now, electric guitars are done as done - I don't think theres an original idea out there - AK47 prove me wrong.

but there might be a way to do something different - how about an archtop or a hollowbody. I'm thinking like a carved out guitar like the PRS hollowbody. that i could actually see doing well.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

From what you chaps are saying, I think Jackson (or AK47) will have to come up with something a) novel or b) if similar design, superior in quality to the others, in order to get peoples attention. Then you have to convince people to buy the things - thats the hard part. There will always be that "x are best at les pauls ", I need a metal guitar I'll get a jackson, what does my fav guitarist play thing stuck in peoples minds.. e.g you can see that by the 2nd hand price of LPs. They are doing a good job of subtly influencing the kids with gbsn marketing alreading in that guitar hero game. Perhaps they should do a Guitar hero: jackson; metal version..lol . Besides, there are lots of other companies making versions of the "others"..
                Why anyone would want anything other than a red snakeskin with a yellow Cdragon on it is beyond me..

Comment

Newc,

Do you have a line on the pulse inside at FMIC or Jackson's R&D or product development team? Such that you know that they haven't already looked into this, either a long time ago or recently, and decided not to make any new models/designs as you would hope for?

Maybe they have looked into it for all we know, or for all I know. I would assume any company evaluates their products on an ongoing basis, and they decided it wasn't a money maker.

Maybe FMIC directs them to stick to the traditional stuff so Fender can sell to the other markets.

Maybe its not us card carrying members of the Narrow-Minded Asshat Club that are actually standing in the way.
                  Jackson KV2
                  Jackson KE1T
                  Jackson KE1F
                  Jackson SL1

Comment

Could someone help me with a photoshop mock up. As in I am drawing things out to scale using tracing paper and my other guitars for refrence. When I get everything drawn up on paper I need someone to take my drawing put them in photoshop and do a mock up.

Of course if anyone thinks the design sucks they dont need to put it into photoshop after they see the drawings.

Comment

I'm fine with Jackson branching out a little as long as it's something original and not a knock off of some other company's model. One of my favourite things about the company, other than the fact that the guitars play sublimely and look awesome, is that everything they make is an original Jackson design. Anything else that's on the market that looks similar is a knock off of the Jackson model. Very few 'metal' guitar companies can say that.

So, the problem is whether they can create something new and original, whether FMIC want them venturing outside of the metal market and whether Jackson's top brass themselves think it's a good idea. I'd quite like to see them make a sort of intermediate step actually. Perhaps producing a new USA SLS, USA NASL and/or some USA version of the Mark Morton body style might be a good step to take.
                      I like maple fretboards. :P

Comment

Who is going to sell a non-metal Jackson? And once you get some dealers to bite, they'll be hanging with PRS, Gibson, McInturf, Grosh, Suhr, etc. All of the guitars will be in the $2500-3500 club.

So then who is going to pick the Jackson? Seriously, how many of YOU diehard Jackson fans are going to buy a Jackson that looks like a PRS? As for the rest of the guitar community, they'll see the Jackson as the metal guitar and still buy the PRS. It's not like the Jackson is going to blow away a PRS, Gibson, Grosh, Suhr, etc. because those are all every bit as good as a Jackson.
                        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

There are a lot of good points on this thread, but....

For me I like everything the way it is.

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                            Who is going to sell a non-metal Jackson? And once you get some dealers to bite, they'll be hanging with PRS, Gibson, McInturf, Grosh, Suhr, etc. All of the guitars will be in the $2500-3500 club.

So then who is going to pick the Jackson? Seriously, how many of YOU diehard Jackson fans are going to buy a Jackson that looks like a PRS? As for the rest of the guitar community, they'll see the Jackson as the metal guitar and still buy the PRS. It's not like the Jackson is going to blow away a PRS, Gibson, Grosh, Suhr, etc. because those are all every bit as good as a Jackson.
                            Look at how many people buy a ESP Eclipse or Viper when they can get a Les Paul or SG for the same price or less. ESP is making tons of cash on those models. ESP is known as a Metal guitar but they still sell the non metal models.

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
                              There are a lot of good points on this thread, but....

For me I like everything the way it is.
                              So you never ever want to see Jackson try something new. You never want to see a new model from them ever?

What Newc and I are saying is of course dont change the classics just try a new model.

Comment

Yeah I guess I'm still pretty much a "Metal" guitar guy myself. But I am finding myself quite drawn to PC1's in Chameleon and even things like this telly.

I personally would love to see Jackson put out a USA 2 hum 7 string, Archtop soloists and more SLS variations.

Is this still too metal? I dunno but I like it

Comment

Working...
                                X