Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unfinished flame maple fingerboard - yeah or nay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfinished flame maple fingerboard - yeah or nay?

How do you y'all think an oil finished flame maple fingerboard would be in the long run? The reason I ask the question is because I know the fingerboard will get dirty and I will of course have to clean it but in the interim between cleanings, would be blasphemous to have it soiled with grime? Please understand that I wash my hands before playing so I'm not going to play in the mud than play my guitar. I'm just looking for some feedback so thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Matt_B; 02-25-2009, 10:09 PM.

Maybe get a satin finish so it's sealed?
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I did think about that about I really prefer a completely unfinished fingerboard if I can help it.

Comment

seems like with jumbo frets your fingers barely touch the board anyway.
        i think id at least try to seal it with oil. i just did the back of one of my necks with gun stock oil and then buffed it with fine steel wool and its awesome. you should be able to do the same thing with a maple board.
        stop at full speed at 100 miles per hour. the colgate invisible shield finally got em.

Comment

Originally posted by hunter8 View Post
          seems like with jumbo frets your fingers barely touch the board anyway.
          I agree but flesh does touch wood and over time, it will get dirty.

i think id at least try to seal it with oil. i just did the back of one of my necks with gun stock oil and then buffed it with fine steel wool and its awesome. you should be able to do the same thing with a maple board.
          I changed the title of this thread because I would get the neck finished with oil. I just come from the school in which any neck that isn't painted or lacquered is considered unfinished. We didn't know that secret Charvel neck mojo back then that we do today.
          Last edited by Matt_B; 02-25-2009, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Since going to tru oil and then a coat of gunstock wax, my unfinished necks have actually stayed pretty clean. Try it sometime... It's the same method EBMM recommends on there unfinished necks
            Don

Comment

Wash your hands before playing.
              Change strings frequently, before they get grimey.

Comment

Do you mean the actual fingerboard, or the whole neck?

I'd try some tru-oil on it (it's used for gun stocks). I recently bought some for a kramer neck I stripped back and it's awesome. Seals out the grime and moisture, feels beautiful. Really easy to use and virtually idiot proof.

Comment

I say the grimier the better, so go for it.
                  -------------------------
                  Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                    Wash your hands before playing.
                    Change strings frequently, before they get grimey.
                    I already covered the handwashing in my initial post.

I used to be in a band with a bass player than never washed his hands before playing, even after eating some greasy KFC.

Comment

-NAY-
                      :ROTF:
                      dude,flame maple is NOT the most stable of woods for necks anyway,yes I own one...errr,okay,two.
                      one is oiled,the other is nitro on TOP of Fullerplast
                      guess which one has ZERO issues?
                      for the record,I have had MORE fretboard AND fret "movement" with the oil-only finish.
                      think of unfinished wood as a sponge......think of unfinished flame maple as a super-soaker (LOL)
                      IT WILL MOVE if you dont properly seal it...
                      just my $.02 FWIW
                      not to mention,your unwashed oily fingerprints(not specific to you,so dont take offence) will "erase" the beauty that IS flamed maple over time.

Comment

Originally posted by SiriusAbbott View Post
                        not to mention,your unwashed oily fingerprints(not specific to you,so dont take offence) will "erase" the beauty that IS flamed maple over time.
                        That's kind of what I was thinking. The neck will have flame maple on the back (nearly quartersawn but not quite) and I'm not worried abou the back of the neck getting dirty, only the front.

I'm looking at a few different options for fingerboard woods including bloodwood and macassar ebony but whatever I choose, it will not be finished in lacquer or poly but only oil. If the wood is good, I'm not worried about long term issues.
                        Last edited by Matt_B; 02-26-2009, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                          I say the grimier the better, so go for it.
                          With a plain ol' maple board, I'm down with that 100% but for a figured board, I don't know if it's worth it if it will just grimed up.

Comment

over time a flamed maple fretboard isnt a good idea, even finished. the flame doesnt stay level, like old guitars were you can see the low & high points in the finish over the flame. same thing is going to happen to your frets.

Comment

The CS is triple coating the fingerboard of my new Charvel with Tru Oil/wax blend. I asked to have it sealed with a satin to help prevent the gunk build up. Mike at the CS suggested this instead. He said they have been doing this and had very good results. We shall see shortly. The guitar is currently at Dan L's getting his graphic work and should be done shortly.

Comment

Working...
                              X