Tremolo Arm Wiggle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tremolo Arm Wiggle?

Hey guys, i just received my first guitar with a tremolo system (charvel 750xl).

i have zero experience with tremolos, and i was wondering (since it's obviously used) if it was normal for there to be a little bit of wiggle room with the tremolo arm. What i mean is, say i want to pull up for some delicate vibrato, the arm moves a little bit before torquing the bridge (i.e. moves without affecting pitch).

It gets slightly better if screw the thing down as tight as it goes, but then i can't swing it out of the way easily.

Thanks.

The socket can wear out over time and get loose.
    A replacement bar and socket can be had for under $16.

Only takes a few minutes to swap out.
    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
      The socket can wear out over time and get loose.
      A replacement bar and socket can be had for under $16.

Only takes a few minutes to swap out.
      The bad thing is I've had brand new ones come with a bit of a wiggle to them. Argh!

Comment

I've had good luck with the actual Schaller made replacements.
        The knock off ones, not so good.
        -Rick

Comment

I got the last problematic one from Allparts. I seem to recall it coming in Schaller packaging, but my memory...well...it's not so good.

Allparts® Music Corporation is the world's leading distributor of guitar and bass parts to retailers, builders, techs, and guitar players.

Comment

RT-B? The more I look at it, the more it looks like a licensed one. Damn Allparts!!

Comment

Yeah... AllParts is notorious for that crap.
              Stew Mac is where I get my replacement parts.
              These parts are 'Original' Floyd Rose parts.
              They are shipped in Schaller packaging, so I assume they are genuine parts.
              -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                Yeah... AllParts is notorious for that crap.
                Stew Mac is where I get my replacement parts.

They are shipped in Schaller packaging, so I assume they are genuine parts.
                Good to know! Damn they caused me a lot of misery with that stupid clunky thing.

Comment

great thanks, i'll give it a shot.

Comment

am i going to have to de-string, and remove the tremolo block to replace the socket?

can someone point me into the right direction for instructions online. just looking at it, i don't see how it's removed.

Thanks.

oh and he's a pic of my charvel/jackson guitar in question. loving it so far.

Comment

Wait until your next string change because you will have to pull the trem out to change the arm socket.
                      If you're uncomfortable doing this, take it to a shop and have them swap the parts out for you.
                      Shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

There is one way to do it without removing the trem, but it will require you to get a rather long Alan wrench (don't recall the size) to undo the the arm socket bolt from the underside of the base plate.

Once you get the replacement part, it will be VERY self explanatory as to what needs to be done.
                      The socket loads from the top and the retainer cap and screw attach from the bottom.
                      It is press fit in, so you may have to tap it out.
                      Last edited by rjohnstone; 03-03-2009, 03:29 PM.
                      -Rick

Comment

Well I just ordered two of those fuckers from Spew Mac. Damn I hope these work out better...

Comment

Kabam! The new bar from Spew Mac (which came in a Schaller-branded bag) fixed up my Predator. It's nice and tight now. Done deal. AllFarts can go suck one.

Comment

I told you.
                            -Rick

Comment

You dont need to take the trem off to replace the arm fitting. Just take the back plate off loosen the set screw with an allen wrench and remove. Then put the new one in place and carefully place the new set screw on the new fitting with said allen wrench and tighten. If doen this several times and had no problems. If you cant manage to get the screw in this way. You can loosen the strings place a capo on the first fret and pull the springs off to remove the trem and do it that way. Then put the trem back on. Either way works without a string change.
                              Gil

Comment

Working...
                              X