No announcement yet.

Tremolo Arm Wiggle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just put a wrap of PTFE tape round the bottom of the arm if it's a screw thread, or a single wrap of electrical insulation tape if it's the push in type.
    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
      Just put a wrap of PTFE tape round the bottom of the arm if it's a screw thread, or a single wrap of electrical insulation tape if it's the push in type.
      It's a "collared" arm, so that won't work.
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
        Haven't all OFR's been collared for decades? Go to Stew Mac!!

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
          Sure it will. You'd put the tape around the threads of the arm socket.
          If it's an older Floyd screw-in bar, then you'd put the tape around the trem arm threads.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            Sure it will. You'd put the tape around the threads of the arm socket.
            All that will do is keep the collar from coming unscrewed. It will do nothing for a poor fitting socket.
            -Rick

Comment

True. But I thought the OP was having a problem with the arm wiggling loose. Could just be the bar that needs to be replaced and not the whole socket.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                True. But I thought the OP was having a problem with the arm wiggling loose. Could just be the bar that needs to be replaced and not the whole socket.
                No Joe... he said
                What i mean is, say i want to pull up for some delicate vibrato, the arm moves a little bit before torquing the bridge (i.e. moves without affecting pitch).
                That means the trem arm does not have a tight fit in the socket.
                He noted improvement when it was torqued all the way down, but it still have movement IN the socket.

A new arm alone may do the trick, but I suspect the socket itself has been worn out on the inside from years of use.
                -Rick

Comment

Well, then if the socket moves, there's a problem. I've had problems before with bars working their way loose, then just tried a different bar without a problem.

Comment

My $0.02 - The arm of my Kelly works its way loose. But if I put the one from my Predator on, it stays on tight.
                    Scott

Comment

I've been recently flicking the end of the arm downwards in a sharp manner after playing a chord so the sound goes warbled and divebombed simultaneously. Does that count as abuse?
                      Last edited by wilkinsi; 03-12-2009, 06:42 PM.
                      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Working...
                      X