Jumbo frets on a KV neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumbo frets on a KV neck

Well, we know that the frets on the Jackson KV neck (speed neck) are tall and thin.

My question is, you get 'normal' jumbo frets (i.e tall and fat) on slim profile necks, like Ibanez necks. So why do you get tall thin frets on a KV neck? Is there any advantage to tall thin frets? I would imagine that most people are more used to the 'normal' jumbo profile. Also, I'd imagine that there would be faster wear on the thin frets. So wouldn't most people prefer the 'normal' jumbo frets on a KV neck?

And following on, has anybody ever played a KV neck which had 'normal' jumbo frets? Does it feel any different from a KV neck with tall thin frets?

Originally posted by black cherry View Post
    Well, we know that the frets on the Jackson KV neck (speed neck) are tall and thin.

My question is, you get 'normal' jumbo frets (i.e tall and fat) on slim profile necks, like Ibanez necks. So why do you get tall thin frets on a KV neck? Is there any advantage to tall thin frets? I would imagine that most people are more used to the 'normal' jumbo profile. Also, I'd imagine that there would be faster wear on the thin frets. So wouldn't most people prefer the 'normal' jumbo frets on a KV neck?

And following on, has anybody ever played a KV neck which had 'normal' jumbo frets? Does it feel any different from a KV neck with tall thin frets?
    My custom KV from 1993 had jumbo frets. I am getting it refretted this week. It's largely personal preference. I actually prefer the tall/thin frets. They just make the guitar feel nicer to me.

I believe the reason the KV2 comes like it does is largely due to the fact that the KV1 and KV2 were pretty much built to Dave Mustaines specs. That's how the KV2 has remained. The combination of the speed profile and smaller frets really give the KV1 and KV2 (and Y2KV) a unique feel.

A lot of people get used to one thing and switching to something different really throws them for a loop. My first experience with the smaller frets was on a 94 KV Pro Mustaine. At first it was a little awkward, but after a while it became my main guitar and my KV custom was thrown in a case and stuffed in a closet for years because the neck just wasn't as comfortable.

Comment

That makes alot of sense Brian, I never thought about the KV's small frets being made to Mustaine's old specs.
      I'm kinda the opposite of you, I'd rather have Jumbos on my necks, and thats the #1 reason I've never bought a KV2.
      Thanks for the insight on this subject.
      'Howling in shadows
      Living in a lunar spell
      He finds his heaven
      Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Tall thin frets are the best IMO

Comment

I would imagine that for those of us with bigger fingers, thin frets would make it easier to play high up on the neck. I've always had jumbo frets though, so I can't say for sure.
          Scott

Comment

I much prefer the thin ones too.... and I've had several guitars with both types. I find that it takes me much less effort to play high notes cleanly with the thin frets, especially hammer-ons and pull-offs. I have a KV2 and a KV2T 25.5" scale which has the usual jumbo frets, but I believe the KV2T's neck has different dimensions, so it's a bit hard to compare the two directly.

Comment

I'm a fan of the medium jumbo frets, too, and most of my guitars have them... two Hamers, Carvin, Les Paul, Fender Strat, Dean Mustaine sig, Jackson Mark Morton sig. Only my Jackson Dinky HX and RR1T have the regular jumbo. I don't really have much of a preference and do fine playing both.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

My '89 KV has tall/wide jumbos. I would not have it any other way.
                "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Originally posted by RR05xx View Post
                  My '89 KV has tall/wide jumbos. I would not have it any other way.

Post some pictures!!

Comment

i think it's because it was dave mustaine's preference, and after he left jackson they just kept it cause it played so well. thank god. i love jacksons, but I can't stand the jumbo frets on most of the necks. the KV2 and KV1 are about the only ones i can play comfortably. My KV1 actually has smaller frets then my gibson and fender do.. and thats a good thing

Comment

Thanks for all the replies

I suppose fret profiles are such personal things that there is really no 'good' or 'bad' as such. I was just curious how having normal jumbo frets on the KV speed neck would affect it's feel, compared to the tall thin frets.

I guess the only way to find out would be to have a KV with tall thin frets and another with normal jumbo frets and comparing the two.. sounds like an expensive proposition though

Comment

Working...
                      X