Charvel Model 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Model 6

I have a line on a '87 or '88 that's up for sale for $550. It's midnight blue in good condition with the exception of a chip on the bottom rear edge of the body. I know these guitars are pretty well sought after and I had one myself back in the day. I'd love to pick another one up but am not sure how good of a deal this one is. Any opinions?

It should be mint for that price.

Comment

Doubt it. The quality of construction makes it well worth $550 in that condition. Don't go buy "good times/bad times Market Value" - those figures fluctuate over the pettiest of reasons (like color, of all things, or if it has a Kahler bridge or behind the nut locking nut).

These are as good as the 1990-94 neckthrough Jackson Pros are, and were built by the same people. Only difference is material used (rosewood boards).
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
        It should be mint for that price.
        Times are changing. I just sold my '86 Model 6 with Kahler for $750 on Ebay and while it was in excellent condition, it wasn't mint. The guy was thrilled to get it and it sold pretty fast. Mint they can go for a grand nowadays, and have in recent years. They are vintage guitars now, you know. Hurt like hell to sell it, too....

The days of finding a Model 6 for $400 are pretty much over, unless it is a basket case or you find someone really desperate, or ignorant. That's the price mindset from 5 years ago. If you want to try and bend over a "brother" for a steal that's fine, but prices have gone up.

People realize that these guitars are Soloists in all but name, and as Newc said, a rosewood board. Of course, if you want to wait long enough, you can find a better deal. Or if you want one of these guitars on a timely basis, you pay a fair price.
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

[QUOTE][Times are changing. I just sold my '86 Model 6 with Kahler for $750 on Ebay and while it was in excellent condition, it wasn't mint. The guy was thrilled to get it and it sold pretty fast. Mint they can go for a grand nowadays, and have in recent years. They are vintage guitars now, you know. Hurt like hell to sell it, too....

The days of finding a Model 6 for $400 are pretty much over, unless it is a basket case or you find someone really desperate, or ignorant. That's the price mindset from 5 years ago. If you want to try and bend over a "brother" for a steal that's fine, but prices have gone up.

People realize that these guitars are Soloists in all but name, and as Newc said, a rosewood board. Of course, if you want to wait long enough, you can find a better deal. Or if you want one of these guitars on a timely basis, you pay a fair price./QUOTE]Actually I am thinking of last year. i sold one last year for $415. I had changed the pickups(singles were better then want comes in them) and it had one bad chip to the wood on the back of the body/neck at the heel. Had to list it 3 times to get that. I am sure I will get told that's because the pickups weren't original even though alot of people swap them out anyway.
          Last year the model ones were going for stupid money now they are back down to what they cost new. In this economy when prices should be dropping everyone seems to want more.

Comment

I think by the end of the year these guitars will be sold for big money! bro's that needs the cash are selling them now,but when thats over only ones that do not need the money will have them,then demand will hike the prices.when i got mine ebays average for a model 6 was 600. - 899,now its lower. But they will be up Again! I really do no like neck through as much as I though I would,but they play great and i was not willing to tear the eletronics out,so bye bye.
            Last edited by john.w.lawson; 03-20-2009, 01:29 PM.
            I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Wow. I'm glad I got mine when I did. Paid a little under $500 about 2 years ago and the only thing wrong was a small paint chip.
              My gear
              87 Charvel Model 6
              86 Charvel Model 4
              93 Jackson RR EX
              93 Jackson Kelly STD
              88 Ibanez RG560
              99 Schecter Diamond C-7
              Peavey Bandit 112

Comment

[quote=Rich#6;1223306]
                [Times are changing. I just sold my '86 Model 6 with Kahler for $750 on Ebay and while it was in excellent condition, it wasn't mint. The guy was thrilled to get it and it sold pretty fast. Mint they can go for a grand nowadays, and have in recent years. They are vintage guitars now, you know. Hurt like hell to sell it, too....

People realize that these guitars are Soloists in all but name, and as Newc said, a rosewood board. Of course, if you want to wait long enough, you can find a better deal. Or if you want one of these guitars on a timely basis, you pay a fair price./QUOTE]Actually I am thinking of last year. i sold one last year for $415. I had changed the pickups(singles were better then want comes in them) and it had one bad chip to the wood on the back of the body/neck at the heel. Had to list it 3 times to get that. I am sure I will get told that's because the pickups weren't original even though alot of people swap them out anyway.
                Last year the model ones were going for stupid money now they are back down to what they cost new. In this economy when prices should be dropping everyone seems to want more.
                Well, as I said, prices can vary, but I'd say you had bad luck at that price. And how bad was the one bad chip? At the neck heel it might have looked worse than it was, and affected the price.

As for your quote on a mint price at $550, Sweetpete from this board got $999 for a truly mint Model 6 a couple of years ago. It got a thread here, for sure! The one I just sold was really in excellent condition, though not mint, and was bone stock. It is true that a lot of people change out those pickups, but still, most guitars that are original bring more than those that are modified, even though the mods make them play and/or sound better.

I should hope the prices will go back down since I no longer have one and would like to have another one day! But I think the overall trend will be upward.
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Sweetpete from this board got $999 for a truly mint Model 6 a couple of years ago.
                  It sold for that but I don't think he got paid for it though. I remember that one, had an old serial number I think too.
                  I should hope the prices will go back down since I no longer have one and would like to have another one day! But I think the overall trend will be upward
                  I hope so too, but I'm good had mine since 1988.

Comment

I'm pretty sure he DID get paid for it. He said so on the thread about it IIRC.
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

The Model 6 is a great guitar. I bought mine brand new back in the day, candy apple red with Jackson trem. Never was a fan of the Jackson pickups though and swapped them out for EMG 81/SA/SA. I kept the original pickups however and still have them in the EMG box from back then. The guitar is still with me and the original chainsaw case even has all its latches intact These are nice guitars and I can believe the prices quoted here as you can't buy anything new in that price range that can touch them today.
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

I'm pretty sure he DID get paid for it. He said so on the thread about it IIRC.
                        I found the one I was thinking of. I was thinking of dpivar's. His sound for 1800 but he didn't get paid for it and then he relisted it and only got 600ish

Comment

I'm sorry guys but to me threads like this are like a self fulfilling prophecy. It used to be that every so often 2 ebay noobs would have a bidding war and someone would sell one for some good money. Now WE say they are worth so much here and the buyers and sellers read these threads and BAM now sellers raise the prices and buyers pay it because we say so here.
                          Quality isn't the point either, because I agree, I have had my model (with Kahler) since 88 and I would sell my usa charvels before I would sell it. I don't have a usa soloist because I don't need one!
                          Our beloved Model series are no longer sleepers, so everyone comes here to find our how much they should pay. Prices on the new ones is getting out of hand too IMO. I saw one dealer that had the DK2M at $799.

Comment

Lol, I had an eBay war today over a lowclass Jackson, that's right JS30 RR, every £1 they go up every £20 i go up they got owned
                            Gear

Jackson DXMG
                            Jackson JS30RR
                            Boss ML2 Metalcore Pedal
                            Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
                            Blackstar HT5H
                            Marshall MC212

Gear I want

Jackson RR1T Black
                            Marshall JCM 800 2203
                            Marshall 1960A Cab

Comment

when I quote 600-899,thats the price ebay gave me as an average! Things sell higher on the bay than
                              the j/c, sometimes.......more often then not! But I no longer own one so its a mute point to me.They are great playing guitars but you need some pickup swapping to do the craftmanship justice.
                              I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Working...
                              X