SLSMG vs DKMGT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLSMG vs DKMGT

Any real differences in playability between the two? I know about the different headstocks, neckthrough VS bolt-on, the Dinky has the Turbocharger, the woods are different, etc.

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone on the JCF acquiring a SLSMG before, or at least posting pictures of it. It's a battle between the SLSMG and the SLATQH for me.

Re: SLSMG vs DKMGT

The SLSMG and DKMGT are completely different animals. It's tough to compare them, really. The SLSMG feels a lot smoother since it's so damned tiny. It's a featherweight, maybe 5 pounds if you find a heavy one. The SLSMG sounds a bit clearer to me, but not any thinner. Interesting fact, there are a few SLSMGs with the Turbocharger in the floating around somewhere. Since the Turbocharger wouldn't fit in the control cavity unless the cover wasn't recessed, because the body is so thin, they had to ditch the Turbocharger. The DKMGT is about normal weight, and feels like a friggin brick compared to the SLSMG (then again, the only think I've played that was as tiny feeling as the SLSMG is a Parker). That's not neccesarily bad, and the price is more than right. If you want a small, light guitar go with the SLSMG. If you're not really into small, light guitars, buy two DKMGT's. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

If it's between the SLSMG and SLATQH, I'd personally go for the SLATQH. The SLSMG is almost too light IMO. The neck is razor thin, probably not much thicker than a Parker which is fine if you're a thin neck guy. The finish can be problematic. You can't polish it or you'll end up with a glossy finish that's supposed to be satin (I could tell you a story about that...). The SLATQH on the other hand is, well, a USA Jackson. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] The body shape seems a bit different than a regular Soloist, and I mean more than the archtop. Personally, I prefer the SLATQH. The overall package just does it for me more than the SLSMG, but your mileage may vary.

Comment

I'd go for the SLATQH.

Comment

Hey Black Mariah, im aware that you used to work for Jackson Correct? If im not mistaken it was you that used to do setups on the imports?

Can you comment on the Satin finishes? Are they durable, is it relatively the same as oil? Or does it feel like paint (which i dont like!)

Comment

Originally posted by gemini8026:
          Or does it feel like paint (which i dont like!)
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You do realize you can't actually feel the paint? It's a high gloss clear coat over the paint. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
          The clear matte satin is definitely closer to tung oil, but it offers a little better protection.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

ahh yes ToeJam, I should have known better.

Does a Parker Fly have that Gloss Clearcoat out of curiosity? Im curious how they treat their necks seeing as how you cant tung oil that!

Comment

The satin finish is durable enough, but keeping it clean is a PITA. You can't polish it. If you do, of course, it becomes a GLOSS finish. There was an incident at work involving an artists custom SLSMG and a buffing wheel that I won't go into right now. *CRINGE* You can kind of wipe them off with a towel or somehing, but that's about it. It feels like a satin finish, of course, so the neck is nice and smooth. And Parker's do have gloss finished necks.

Comment

I've got an SLSMG w/ EMG 81/85 set. Awesome guitar......I'll try and post pics later.

Comment

Working...
                X