Is Corey Beaulieu with Jackson now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
    Dude's a better player then the majority of people on here. And if anyone wants to argue lets see your album sales., dvd sales, concert ticket sales...

yeah.. that's what I thought.

I'm not a big fan of them or their music but I'm sure as hell not going to rip them down. I'm glad he's back with Jackson.

That's a load of shit, I'm not impressed by his playing, he sounds x84 better in the studio then he does live. I could find at least 10 players on this board that are better then him.

I can't argue with album sales, but when 3/4th of the trivium fan base looks like this:

They can keep their album sales, and if you want to use that jurisdiction, that would mean that N*Sync, Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, Kanye West, Jay Z, and all those talentless hacks' are much better musicians, and clearly more interesting! Yeah... That's right.

Say I did have more album sales, and play guitar better then him, then would it be alright for me to not like his playing or band? That's sort of lame.
    Last edited by Jacksons Shred; 03-27-2009, 06:55 PM.
    Originally posted by horns666
    The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

There's always one popular band that emerges as the band that is cool for everyone to hate. Trivium happens to be that band right now.

I personally don't understand all the fuss. They're not reinventing the wheel, but they're certainly not as horrible as a lot of people make them out to be. Matter of fact, I would rather see/hear 15 bands just like Trivium pop up and enjoy similar success than another 15 Disney "acts" that flood every form of media imaginable.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksons Shred View Post
        They can keep their album sales, and if you want to use that jurisdiction, that would mean that N*Sync, Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, Kanye West, Jay Z, and all those talentless hacks' are much better musicians, and clearly more interesting! Yeah... That's right.
        What's that old saying? If Yngwie shreds in the forest, and no one's there to hear him...
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

That's a load of shit, I'm not impressed by his playing, he sounds x84 better in the studio then he does live. I could find at least 10 players on this board that are better then him.

Say I did have more album sales, and play guitar better then him, then would it be alright for me to not like his playing or band? That's sort of lame.
          while you are certainly entitled to your opinion, the guy and his band had to be doing SOMETHING right to land a deal. but, what are YOUR qualifications to be an "impressive" guitarist?

i have to laugh at a lot of the attitudes on this board. just because you CAN shred doesn't make you the "better" guitarist. ALL of the technical abilities that make one go "weedly-wee" faster than another does NOT equal musicianship.

what makes him a "better" player is that he and his band happened to be doing something cool that brought people out to their shows, they had to have been able to assemble SONGS from the "killer" shred-tastic skills they may (or may not) possess.

while album sales are ONE indicator of how "good" somebody is, in my opinion, a better gauge is whether or not YOU (as individuals in our collective group) can actually take all the scales, exercises and tricks that are required to be a "shredder" and attach those to some REAL rythym playing, and attach THAT to a catchy "unique" progression to create a lasting SONG.

as far as sounding better in the studio than live....i sound better in the studio too. i can rehearse my lead, comp it together if needed (which i don't, but...), things are relaxed....live, i make simple mistakes sometimes even after playing live for 20 years. i started gigging seriously at 15 and have played a lot of shows since...i STILL will fuck up a part every now and then. i will watch a video of a show and hear some poorly bent notes, or a triplet that didn't quite make it, or a whammy pull up that went dead....

do those things make me an "unimpressive" guitarist? maybe to you....

then the next question is: have you gigged enough to be a "performer"? where you are putting on a show? moving around the stage, singing, doing pedal dances, playing a fast lead then having to drop into a slow, arpeggiated clean chord progression?

it's not easy to put on a "show" and handle all the stuff that goes along with it. ultimately when somebody steps on stage they become a PERFORMER....standing still onstage, watching your hands is not performing....and besides, who is gonna give a shit about your "shredder" skills if your songs are lame and you are boring to watch? people in the crowd don't wanna hear a bunch of "weedly-weedly-wee"...it gets VERY dull VERY quickly.

it's VERY different than sitting in your room shredding over a BOSS DR-660 progression, pretending you can out "shred" malmsteen or vai or gilbert....

hahahaha, sorry for the rant, but.....
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I can't argue with album sales, but when 3/4th of the trivium fan base looks like this:

What I'm saying is people fucking whine about Trivium, and Bullet for my valentine and all these other bands they don't like. If you don't like them, don't listen to them. If you're so much better go prove it and do something with your talent instead of complaining about them on a web forum.

And why even open the thread if you don't like the band? If Britney spears played a Jackson i'd be fucking happy as hell because my favorite brand guitar is getting main stream attention. Bring on the boy bands. give them jacksons, if it keeps the guitar company of choice in business then i'll all for it.

As for this guys abilities, he kicks my ass. and since I haven't seen anything by you i have no idea what level you are at. again I'm not a trivium fan at all, but the guy is doing something write, he's bringing attention to jackson and he's got skill.
            In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
              while you are certainly entitled to your opinion, the guy and his band had to be doing SOMETHING right to land a deal. but, what are YOUR qualifications to be an "impressive" guitarist?

i have to laugh at a lot of the attitudes on this board. just because you CAN shred doesn't make you the "better" guitarist. ALL of the technical abilities that make one go "weedly-wee" faster than another does NOT equal musicianship.

what makes him a "better" player is that he and his band happened to be doing something cool that brought people out to their shows, they had to have been able to assemble SONGS from the "killer" shred-tastic skills they may (or may not) possess.

while album sales are ONE indicator of how "good" somebody is, in my opinion, a better gauge is whether or not YOU (as individuals in our collective group) can actually take all the scales, exercises and tricks that are required to be a "shredder" and attach those to some REAL rythym playing, and attach THAT to a catchy "unique" progression to create a lasting SONG.

as far as sounding better in the studio than live....i sound better in the studio too. i can rehearse my lead, comp it together if needed (which i don't, but...), things are relaxed....live, i make simple mistakes sometimes even after playing live for 20 years. i started gigging seriously at 15 and have played a lot of shows since...i STILL will fuck up a part every now and then. i will watch a video of a show and hear some poorly bent notes, or a triplet that didn't quite make it, or a whammy pull up that went dead....

then the next question is: have you gigged enough to be a "performer"? where you are putting on a show? moving around the stage, singing, doing pedal dances, playing a fast lead then having to drop into a slow, arpeggiated clean chord progression?

it's not easy to put on a "show" and handle all the stuff that goes along with it. ultimately when somebody steps on stage they become a PERFORMER....standing still onstage, watching your hands is not performing....and besides, who is gonna give a shit about your "shredder" skills if your songs are lame and you are boring to watch? people in the crowd don't wanna hear a bunch of "weedly-weedly-wee"...it gets VERY dull VERY quickly.

it's VERY different than sitting in your room shredding over a BOSS DR-660 progression, pretending you can out "shred" malmsteen or vai or gilbert....

hahahaha, sorry for the rant, but.....
              Before I pass out, I'm going to pick this one apart. Not only do I feel as if you're trying to make a fool out of me, which is sad, considering I'm just stating my opinion.

I didn't imply, nor did I suggest that I was in any way shape or form a better guitarist then him, and I won't ever say that, not only do I not think that, but even if I did, you wouldn't hear those words from my mouth. Going "weedly-wee" can be musical, I've heard it. Refer to Cacophony, Becker, or Friedman.

An unimpressive guitarist for being human? Not at all. For playing stuff you can only do in the studio after hours of pro-tool editing and a hack job live because you can't play your own solos? Oh yeah. There's no excuse for NOT being able to play your own solos. Not in my mind at least.

I teach, I play in front of friends, and I practice standing up. To answer your question though, no, I have not gigged. Once again, that's no excuse to not be able to play your own material, put in the practice, make yourself stand out among other guitarist and don't be that mediocre guitarist that can barely play their own pieces. Practice is perfect, and neglecting practicing just because it's "hard" is pathetic.

Two words: Jeff Loomis. I could go on for days with great examples of bands with technical rhythm playing, lead playing, and great showmanship! But..That's the difference between someone who puts in the practice, as compared to someone half-assing a technique because of "pesky practice"

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
              What I'm saying is people fucking whine about Trivium, and Bullet for my valentine and all these other bands they don't like. If you don't like them, don't listen to them. If you're so much better go prove it and do something with your talent instead of complaining about them on a web forum.

And why even open the thread if you don't like the band? If Britney spears played a Jackson i'd be fucking happy as hell because my favorite brand guitar is getting main stream attention. Bring on the boy bands. give them jacksons, if it keeps the guitar company of choice in business then i'll all for it.

As for this guys abilities, he kicks my ass. and since I haven't seen anything by you i have no idea what level you are at. again I'm not a trivium fan at all, but the guy is doing something write, he's bringing attention to jackson and he's got skill.
              Refer back to my first post.. I said I was happy to see him with Jackson, even though I'm not impressed by his music.
              Originally posted by horns666
              The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

what I don't like about their playing is that they claim to be a metal band yet they don't have any aggression in their playing... I watched closely to some of the videos where they give lessons and whatnot... everything they play is very bland and sterile... all the notes have a very stiff feel... there's no feel, emotion, dynamics, tone etc. in those notes... not that they don't play with emotion but they can't reflect it in their playing... everything just sounds the same... and they have not attack, no edge... they play everything rather softly and the same way... and besides their vibratos are out of tune too... everything is just so boring to my ears... I don't care if they are sloppy or how fast or slow they play... they just don't have the so called X factor when it comes to their lead playing

I don't care what instruments they play or how famous they are... their music does nothing for me and there's nothing in their playing which would give them respect skill wise. I have respect for them as they do music which they like, put a lot of effort into it and had the smarts to do something which the younger generation would appreciate.
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Before I pass out, I'm going to pick this one apart. Not only do I feel as if you're trying to make a fool out of me, which is sad, considering I'm just stating my opinion.
                  chill my friend....i was not making a fool of you, i was simply asking what are your individual qualifications that would imply you are an impressive guitarist. i was also stating that there have been MANY times on this board (and in the real world) where guitarists get into pissing matches over who is better.

I didn't imply, nor did I suggest that I was in any way shape or form a better guitarist then him, and I won't ever say that, not only do I not think that, but even if I did, you wouldn't hear those words from my mouth. Going "weedly-wee" can be musical, I've heard it. Refer to Cacophony, Becker, or Friedman.
                  many will disagree, but i don't find the speed of cacophony to be musical. i have their albums. they were cool when i was a kid. now i find them painful to listen to unless my bandmates and i are ripping on their songs - "burn the ground" anyone??? NOW i DO find "scenes" by friedman to be an EXCEPTIONALLY musical work. i will admit i have no becker albums.

An unimpressive guitarist for being human? Not at all. For playing stuff you can only do in the studio after hours of pro-tool editing and a hack job live because you can't play your own solos? Oh yeah. There's no excuse for NOT being able to play your own solos. Not in my mind at least.
                  okay, good!!! hahaha. i totally agree with this, which is why i NEVER comp a solo in the studio and 95% of each lead is worked out. i leave a little bit for improv live because it's fun, but i don't have the confidence to improvise every solo every gig.

I teach, I play in front of friends, and I practice standing up. To answer your question though, no, I have not gigged. Once again, that's no excuse to not be able to play your own material, put in the practice, make yourself stand out among other guitarist and don't be that mediocre guitarist that can barely play their own pieces. Practice is perfect, and neglecting practicing just because it's "hard" is pathetic.
                  again, checking your experience. i agree. not practicing your own stuff is weak. bands like that have a short life span.

Two words: Jeff Loomis. I could go on for days with great examples of bands with technical rhythm playing, lead playing, and great showmanship! But..That's the difference between someone who puts in the practice, as compared to someone half-assing a technique because of "pesky practice".
                  exactly my point!!! another reason why i asked if you gig. it is easy to play at home. once you get under the lights, the pressure of 7 minute set changes, super quick line checks, then having to put on "the show"....it IS work, and it awesome AND it requires tons of practice.

i don't think practice is "pesky". not sure what the trivium guy thinks, i don't even know what they sound like - never heard them. i have no idea what techniques he'd be half-assing!!!
                  GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I'm going to go practice
                    www.myspace.com/demonboundmusic

Originally posted by Endrik
                    the more you masturbate the less you need to bang the hottest chicks

Comment

Originally posted by Vlover View Post
                      I'm going to go practice
                      Ha ha me too!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post

This was the case when I saw Joe Satriani 20 years ago at the fox. Absolutely lifeless in his approach, knees together and eyes on the fretboard the whole show - while it was practically flawless playing ~ it lacked life. I was not alone in this viewpoint, continue hating on Trivium now ...
                        Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

How many lead guitarists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

1 to actually do it and 99 to say they could do it better.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarist1993 View Post

Only 99?
                            -------------------------
                            Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by guitarist1993 View Post

I got a good laugh outta that one!

Comment

I agree with dimebags philosophy of guitar playing - rather play a few notes that mean something than a thousand notes that mean nothing.

I would say a better guitarist is one who you can FEEL when you listen to them. Yeah technical guitarists are technically "better" but more often than not they leave me cold and detached, trivium are a good example, there's no soul in them.
                                Double Rhoads "Vader" Custom.
                                Double Rhoads "Empire" Custom.

EVH 5150III Head and Cabs
                                ISP Decimator Pedal
                                Sony Wireless Systems
                                Ernie Ball Strings 52-10

www.facebook.com/evileuk

Comment

Working...
                                X