No announcement yet.

What was/is wrong with the Kelly Star?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was/is wrong with the Kelly Star?

I've noticed a lot of ML-type guitars, especially from Dean capitalizing off of Dime and his use of them. I felt the Kelly Star was a great shape. So why doesn't Jackson re-introduce the model? Why did they stop producing it to begin with?

Discuss.
    Occupy JCF

I love that guitar. Alas.
    Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Well, that's what I mean. It was/is a great shape that you can get out of the Custom Shop, but why limit it's scope to people who have a lot of disposable cash? Why not bring out an import version of it?
      Occupy JCF

Comment

You know, when that guitar came out I emailed Brad Kelly(?) about it because he had been at NAMM that year. He said to just save my money and buy a King Kelly with the cut outs as they were only doing the kelly star as an import. I guess at the time Rob Lane bought the only US model there was (which was on the jackson cover that year, black with blood drip if I remember correctly)

I think because it was pushed out as an import only it sort of left people cold. Plus it was bolt etc.

also keep in mind it came out the same time as the DK7 and DK7T and a lot of people were on the 7 string bangwagon at the time (I admit I was one of them, boughtt the DK7t instead of the kelly star which i still regret) but metal guitars were not fashionable at the time, everything was detuned 7 string korn and the beginings of nu-metal.

I believe if they re-released it it would do better now, I mean that ibanez xerrwerxw whatever it's called seems to be selling well. Just Jackson would need to do a neck through import instead of a bolt to keep up.
        In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

i'm still trying to find a DK7T in Trans Red for a decent price. I'd also like to get my hands on a Kelly Star. (despite the fact that I'm more of a Strat/Dinky/Tele player) But I'm sure you could get a Kelly Star in the custom shop.
          Occupy JCF

Comment

Nothing wrong with a bolt-on. I personally don't see it selling as well as the Morton because there's no artist attachment, so neckthrough for $1200+ MSRP isn't going to move a lot of units.

Bolt-on allows you to get in for less money, and get out at a lesser loss if it flops.

As for the shape itself, I wasn't drawn to it, but then I wasn't down with the Kelly all that much, either.
            Put a Warrior top horn on a Kelly and reposition the strap pins and we'll talk
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              Nothing wrong with a bolt-on. I personally don't see it selling as well as the Morton because there's no artist attachment, so neckthrough for $1200+ MSRP isn't going to move a lot of units.

Bolt-on allows you to get in for less money, and get out at a lesser loss if it flops.

As for the shape itself, I wasn't drawn to it, but then I wasn't down with the Kelly all that much, either.
              Put a Warrior top horn on a Kelly and reposition the strap pins and we'll talk
              I'm wondering if it was slightly ahead of it's time. With the ML and the Razorback being such big models for Dean, maybe they could have snagged someone from that camp to endorse it.

I'd have to say, it's an attractive enough model on it's own that you really wouldn't need to put an artist behind it per se.
              Occupy JCF

Comment

I think it sucked because of the top fret access.

That's coming from a Kelly fanatic, who was drooling over the star for quite a bit
                Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
                Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

you know, as someone mentioned with the ML and razorback - i'm kind of surprised they haven't tried re-releasing it. a lot of other brands are pushing out more extreme designs.

might just simply be the cost of re-setting up those for production when they (I guess) already failed once.
                  In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Would be nice to see the KS brought back in as a production model. I also happen to know a couple UK members here into refinishing guitars. So even if the production finishes looked crap, I could always get it refinished with something I like.
                    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
                      you know, as someone mentioned with the ML and razorback - i'm kind of surprised they haven't tried re-releasing it. a lot of other brands are pushing out more extreme designs.

might just simply be the cost of re-setting up those for production when they (I guess) already failed once.
                      No better way to show JCMI the folly of their ways than a grassroots campaign.
                      Occupy JCF

Comment

I always like them. I remember seeing an EDS USA one on fleabay years ago. In the few hours I spent deciding whether to hit the BIN, it was gone. I'm such an idiot.
                        I'm not afraid to bleed, but I won't do it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
                          I think because it was pushed out as an import only it sort of left people cold. Plus it was bolt etc.
                          I think you hit the nail on the head.

I love the Kelly Star and scored on fairly early while on this board. I put in EMG's (85n and 81b currently) and an SPC.

It would be better as a neck thru to get better fret access.

Comment

Normally, I hate resurrecting threads. However with these two threads popping up on the forum, I thought I'd re-engage the forum in some more discussion on the topic.

Worse case scenario, all that needs to be said has been said. Best case scenario, JCMI sees that there is still interest in this body style.
                            Occupy JCF

Comment

I d rather like to see the Original Star Shape as an import Jackson and an import Neckthrough Warrior!

Comment

Working...
                              X