Calling Kelly owners.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling Kelly owners.

It's GAS time again. I've been after something Explorer shaped for a bit now, my Fusions are great but since I'm generally referred to as "built like a brick shithouse" they look a bit weenie on me.

So Explorers are cool but IMHO Kellys are cooler than an Inuit's nad-sack in a blizzard. The local Jackson stockist (Cookes) didn't have any in and PMT (what an acronym) only had the JS30 (not really a good way to judge a whole model range).

So I have a few questions to ask they Kelly-slinging members of this good site:

What are they like to play for extended periods? Bear in mind I practice classical-style so the guitar rests on my left leg. I imagine the rear horn is quite useful for resting on.

Upper-fret access, good, bad or ugly? The search on this seemed to be divided into two camps.

Any other input/opinions on variants to look for/avoid like airborne ebola would be greatly appreciated.

Well, all the pussies ALWAYS whine they're neck-heavy. Neither bolt-ons nor neckthrus really dive, if you've got a rough strap, because seriously, is there a better feeling strap than leather?
    Seriously though, I haven't experienced dive in the few I've played, but they had leather straps and I hold my guitars angled low. If you like keeping the neck up high, (imagine Chuck Schuldiner), the neck will dive slightly. Depends on how you'll sling it.

Neck access is great, but that again may depend on what you personally require and prefer. Upto 22, it's great even on the lower strings up that high, even on the boltons. It's more difficult to get up to the top two frets on the lower strings, with the boltons, but possible. Again, depends on how you hold the guitar. Sitting down, and it's very doable, while standing up, may require you angle your wrist slightly. Also, keep in mind that if you're getting a Jackson Stars kelly, the neck access on those is quite significantly worse than on the models intended for the American market.

Also on the neck access: the neck is set further out of the body, like the warriors, etc. This means that even playing up high on the neck, you won't hold your elbow as close to your hip, like you would on the round shapes. It's noticeable, but in my opinion it's more comfortable that way.

I also hold my guitars in the classical position while sitting down, and I have to admit that the kelly sits very comfortably. I feel it angles just right while positioned like that. It's not only because of the horn, but also because the other end of the guitar is rounded in such a way. Very comfortable IMO.

And if you're really a big guy, get a KV or maybe a WR. The Kellies are smaller than you'd expect them to be.

Oh yeah, comfort is subjective. I'm positive the Kellies aren't as comfortable to some others as they may be to me. I say try that JS kelly to get a very rough idea first
    Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
    Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

I found the kelly to pull backward on my leg and rest to close to the neck all the time because of there the cut out on the bottm of the body is.

It was a KE1T, the quality of the guitar was basically as good as it gets, and the action was really really low wile still maintaining strong bends with no fretting out.

The weight of the guitar was 7.9 pounds.

So not light but not heavy.

Comment

If you are big, get a King Kelly. Kellys started getting downsized when Marty started the trend I think.

With a larger body they should balance fine.

Comment

I have played my USA Kellys live and never had any neck diving problems. Upper fret access is just fine for me and you can play it sitting down whether you rest it on the right or the classical position. Go for it!
          Rudy
          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Before I got my Kelly, I wasn't sure how it would fit. when I finally got it in my hands to play, Its one of the most comfortable in my arsenal! If your sitting or standing its all good. The guitar isn't top (neck) heavy, so if your interested in one. Make it so!!!!
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3931.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	2444813
            90'/91' Charvel (heavily modified) 275 Deluxe
            94'/95' Jackson Kelly STD
            00' Jackson RR5 with Black hardware
            O3'/04' Jackson KE3

Comment

Originally posted by Dred View Post
              Well, all the pussies ALWAYS whine they're neck-heavy.
              Just get you a 5" thick leather strap. On the inside of the strap, add a few strips of double-sided weatherstripping tape. If necessary, use a few safety pins to attach the strap to the back of your shirt. Also, get a Dewalt drill and "go wild" experimenting with relocated strap button positions (preferably in odd positions like on the neck heel).

There, I've replaced whining with bitter sarcasm. Better?

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                Just get you a 5" thick leather strap. On the inside of the strap, add a few strips of double-sided weatherstripping tape. If necessary, use a few safety pins to attach the strap to the back of your shirt. Also, get a Dewalt drill and "go wild" experimenting with relocated strap button positions (preferably in odd positions like on the neck heel).
                Or just move the rear strap button to the bottom right hole on the trem cover....:idea:

I really like my Kelly, but I find I need it higher on the strap than any other guitar I own, it's an odd one. Once you find the right position though it's cool.

Upper fret access, IMO, is not as good as other Jacksons. I have three other ones, RR3, SL3 and a Concept JDR (similar to Dinky) and I prefer the upper fret access on all of them to the Kelly.

I just took some photos of mine today actually, first sunny day my lawn was nice and dry this year!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post

There, I've replaced whining with bitter sarcasm. Better?

So long it hasn't got any ill intentions.

It's all cool man, dont worry 'bout it
                  Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
                  Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Neck access is not a problem, balance isn't an issue for me either. I love the kelly models.

Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

My kelly is an 85 and it feels great standing, sitting whatever.
                      The USA kellys have the rear strap button higher up than the imports.
                      Mine is a 22 fretter and access to the upper frets are not a problem.
                      The guitar balances prefectly.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Go for it, man! I've played Kelly guitars and they feel lovely! I own a CS Kelly bass and it feels so good to play and it makes you feel wicked!!

From here on the nightmare only gets worse...

Comment

This is what a ke1 looks like on a big guy (me - 6"4). They are smaller than explorers. I have never had neck diving issues on my kellys or upper fret access problems (I have a bolt on one as well). Try out the js30 if you can; it will give you an idea on ergonomics.

Jayster - More pics of the yellow hrf please as you yanks say, it is the shit!
                          I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

I don't use leather straps as they dig into my shoulder. The other way to fix neck dive is relocate the front strap pin in front of or thru the neckplate. I found the last 3 frets access to be troublesome. I suppose another way would be to put the forward pin on the upper front arch so the pin faces towards the neck instead of the player.
                            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

It's interesting how some say they neck dive, while others are adamant that they don't. I think I can actually explain this. When I look for a well-balanced guitar, I like a guitar that will stay put no matter what angle the neck is pointing. I play classical position a lot, with the neck pointing up around 45 degrees or so. My KE2 seemed to want to slide down until the neck was almost parallel to the ground. Levantin, you have the guitar in this position in your photo. If you like the guitar in this position, the guitar will seem perfectly balanced for you. If you don't, it won't. Some old Gibsons have even worse neck drop, where the damn thing wants to head to the floor. Kelly's aren't that bad, in fairness. It killed me to have to sell my KE2, because everything else on the guitar was buttah.

Comment

Working...
                              X