No announcement yet.

Calling Kelly owners.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 on the comment that it's smaller than you'd think.

Great fret access up to 22...a little hard to reach 24 on my bolt-on, but I rarely go up that high anyway.

My strap button came located where the neck plate would be. No neck dive issues, but the body wants to lean away from me.

The neck feels thinner than other Jacksons to me. Almost Ibanez thin.

My Kelly Std sounds absolutely killer with the Distortion in the bridge.
    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
      Neck access is not a problem, balance isn't an issue for me either. I love the kelly models.

That picture is really good for showing how much bigger the King Kelly size is compared to a regular one. That 25th Anniversary King Kelly is noticeably bigger.
      "Dear Dr. Bill,
      I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Thanks for the input folks, it's given me a lot to think about (especially since I'm 6' 4" ish as well).

Comment

Heres mine, As far as playing sitting down goes I personally prefer to have the neck at some what of an angle (almost 45degrees sitting and standing) and my kelly kind of prevents that unless i adjust the strap. I dont know what it is exactly but the roundness of the bottom kinda slides on my non resting thigh in the classical position until the neck is at an almost vertical position. This might just be my problem but Id rather play a RR or even a Warrior when sitting. Other than that I absolutely love my KE-2 its easily my favorite and will be until I order a custom

My Childrens
          -------------
          Lefty Ke2 ferrari red w blk bevels
          Lefty RR1T trans black
          Lefty Sl2HT trans black
          Lefty SLSMG!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Confessor Townsend View Post
            What are they like to play for extended periods? Bear in mind I practice classical-style so the guitar rests on my left leg. I imagine the rear horn is quite useful for resting on.

Upper-fret access, good, bad or ugly? The search on this seemed to be divided into two camps.
            Kelly rocks!!!

Only a JS30 owner (please guys don't flame!!!). But to get a fix bridge model, it's eaither the JS30 or a custom shop... And I don't have the $ for the higher model. Anyway, my cheapo Kelly plays as good (if not better) as some of my more expensive guitars.

So back to your question.

I also practice classical style and you will not have any problem using a Kelly that way. And yes, the rear big fin is quite useful for resting. When playing standing up, I hold my guitar quite high and like to anchor my right forearm on the big fin.

As for upper fret access. I got small hands and up to the 22nd it is very easy, but I would say that to reach the 24th, it's a bit more difficult than on my Ibanez RG.

hope it helps.
            JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
            Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

+1 to the comments about neck diving not be a significant issue, as well as upper fret access to the 22nd being fine. Going to the 24th can be a stretch if you have big hands, like mine. Not anything that would stop me from buying one, though.

Kellys are killer guitars. By far my favorites Jackson body style outside of the Strat/Dinky/Soloist genre.

Comment

Originally posted by levantin View Post
                Jayster - More pics of the yellow hrf please as you yanks say, it is the shit!

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                My KE2 seemed to want to slide down until the neck was almost parallel to the ground. Levantin, you have the guitar in this position in your photo. If you like the guitar in this position, the guitar will seem perfectly balanced for you.
                AW - you may be on to something with your theory. While I'm not 'parallel to the ground', I'm also not at 45 degrees either ~
                Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                  +1 to the comments about neck diving not be a significant issue
                  Forgot about this one! Make it +2

Jayster, you got a bunch of nice Kellys!
                  JB aka BenoA

Comment

I noticed on the newer production model Kellys that they moved the rear strap pin further back.

Wonder if this corrects some of the balance issues.

Comment

My 85 has the strap button up high like that.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

My kelly had the previously described, "Gibson neck dive", where the headstock went straight to the floor. It is easily fixed though. I don't think it sits well for classical style, mine always slips off my right leg and hits the floor.

Upper fret access is great though

Comment

Originally posted by guitarist1993 View Post
                          I don't think it sits well for classical style, mine always slips off my right leg and hits the floor.
                          As said previously, no problem playing classical style. Do you have a "slippery leg"??? :ROTF:
                          JB aka BenoA

Comment

Originally posted by guitarist1993 View Post
                            I don't think it sits well for classical style, mine always slips off my right leg and hits the floor.
                            If you're playing classical style, the guitar would be on your left leg, not your right leg.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                              If you're playing classical style, the guitar would be on your left leg, not your right leg.
                              Yeah, but what if he's left handed
                              Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Good point! :ROTF:
                                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                                X