Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Properly packaging a King V and other wide hardshell case guitars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Properly packaging a King V and other wide hardshell case guitars.

I have a lefty Jackson USA select KV2 that I rarely play (I play my custom shop warrior a lot more) that I have a hardshell case for and am eventually going to sell. The problem is that the hardshell case is huge. It's a lot bigger than most hardshell cases and most guitar boxes. I no longer have the original box that the guitar and case came in.

Should I get a couple of comercial guitar boxes; cut and tape the hell out of them, and construct a covering for my hardshell case?

or

Should I build a small wooden crate around the hardshell case?

Shipping this might be nuts if I make a wooden crate but it may offer the best protection.

Also any reccomendations for packaging inside the hardshell case?

Call around to music stores in your area to see if they have a box that'd fit your case. If that fails, the UPS stores usually sell boxes big enough. Guitars usually move at least a little inside the case, so I always put extra padding or peanuts inside to make sure it doesn't move. Then I stuff as many peanuts as I can inside the shipping box around the case to make sure nothing jiggles. I've never had anything bad happen during shipping and I've shipped quite a few all over the place.

PS. Make sure you put that KV in the classifieds when you're ready.
    I'm not afraid to bleed, but I won't do it for you.

Comment

Check local music stores either for large Jackson boxes if they are Jackson dealers, or grab a large keyboard box that they may be throwing out. It should fit in that. Pack around the KV2 case with newspaper, bubble wrap, foam peanuts, or whatever your peronal favorite is and place that into the keyboard box. BTW, I personally hate recieving packages with those damn foam peanuts.
      Rudy
      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Try a local Bike shop

Comment

i'll buy!!! ship it to me however you like!
          My Childrens
          -------------
          Lefty Ke2 ferrari red w blk bevels
          Lefty RR1T trans black
          Lefty Sl2HT trans black
          Lefty SLSMG!!!!

Comment

I've shipped cases that big wrapped in nothing more than brown craft/shipping paper and packaging tape with no problem.

You might also try a local bedding outlet to see if they have a Twin-size mattress box they'd give you.

However you do it, make sure to put a couple of strips of packaging tape around the middle, and near the top. Those make it easier to grip the box, which can of course prevent accidental droppage.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

To fill the space on the sides and top, you can get insulation styrofoam at Home Depot or Lowe's. It is in the insulation department. The styrofoam is 3/4" thick and are 4 feet long by about 1-1/2 foot wide. Very cheap filler at $7.00 for a pack of six.

Comment

Read this first: http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91780
                The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

I'm such a ditz.

I have the box my custom warrior came in. It fits perfectly with room to spare plus it has bubble wrap and everything.

Thank You for everyone who replied and for the suggestions.
                  Last edited by Eric_kv2; 04-05-2009, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Do you think I should build a crate to go over the current jackson box that I have or find a bigger box to go over that?

guitar-hardshell case-jackson box with packaging material

then crate or a bigger box (both would have additional packaging material)

Shipping would be nuts either way

Comment

You mean a box within a box? Yea, do that. That oughta piss em off unboxing that shit!

Jokes aside, highly recommended. Doubleboxing saves a lot of guitars from shitty fratboy-working-to-pay-off-his-car handling. Be sure to put stuff inbetween the two boxes so that the interior one doesn't move. Also, don't package like crazy inside the guitar case. Leave the headstock some space to breathe, but be sure the guitar itself doesn't move about. Does wonders, mate!
                      Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
                      Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by Eric_kv2 View Post
                        Do you think I should build a crate to go over the current jackson box that I have or find a bigger box to go over that?

guitar-hardshell case-jackson box with packaging material

then crate or a bigger box (both would have additional packaging material)

Shipping would be nuts either way
                        I take mine to the local Pack and ship place. They custom build me a box and fill it for less than $20. At least then you know the box you are using is new and strong. The worst thing is having weak cardboard. Also, as others have said, don't forget to fill in around the headstock. Most King V's can move around in their Jackson case. That is when the damage will most likely occur.
                        "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Originally posted by veemagic View Post
                          I take mine to the local Pack and ship place. They custom build me a box and fill it for less than $20. At least then you know the box you are using is new and strong. The worst thing is having weak cardboard. Also, as others have said, don't forget to fill in around the headstock. Most King V's can move around in their Jackson case. That is when the damage will most likely occur.
                          I wish there wa a place around here that would do that for that price. I ended up going to a bike shop and getting a huge box from them. So now I can double box the case.

Comment

Working...
                          X