Worried about my guitars neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worried about my guitars neck

Ok I was playing today and I went to push my hair back and my left elbow hit the back of the neck of my guitar pretty hard. I grabbed the headstock and bent it back a little to see how everything was and I heard a little click sound. I can move the headstock back and fort about 1-3mm or so. Is this normal or should I worry?

Re: Worried about my guitars neck

Does just the headstock move, or is the neck flexing?

Comment

Re: Worried about my guitars neck

The click is the truss rod clacking around in the guitar. I ran across a couple of DKMG's that did that once. The problem is apparently the material around the rod wears away just a leeeeeetle bit (misspelled on purpose, Yeti [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) and it can shake around a bit making that weird clicky noise. It's nothing that will send tuners and wood shards flying through the air, impaling your cat, so don't worry about it too much.

Headstocks flex, yes. They're just wood, after all. If they didn't have any give, they would snap like holy hell. It's the same principle as with buildings. If you build some give into it, it can withstand more stress (wind in the case of buildings, strings and being dropped by dumbass cousins with guitars).

Comment

Working...
      X