Repair or just replace the body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair or just replace the body

I have a Model (I have no idea, model A?) it's from 88, one humbucker and the floating pos licensed floyd thing..

I recently set out to strip the guitar and re-paint it myself. I've gotten most of the paint off but it's really too time consuming at the moment to continue and i've done a horrible job.

So I'm wonder who is out there that'll refinish a charvel that's already mostly stripped of paint, or for the cost would it be better to just talk to Slash, but a replacement body and have a nice fresh paint job put on it.

I really don't care for basswood. but on the other hand this guitar was purchased for me as a bribe not to go see Def Leppard at the cow palace on the hysteria tour so there's sentimental value there.

any suggestions? I'm sure with better pickups the thing would sound fine.. i just don't know if paying someone to strip paint before repainting is worth the cost.
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

put it back together as is and call it a relic....

Comment

I've been thinking of stripping and re-painting a body for a while now and wonder if it would be that bad just to sand the clear off and prime/paint/clear. Do you really need to get all the way to the wood and start from scratch if there's no real damage to fix? And I agree with you on basswood. May be better with good pups but it's too light for my taste as well. If your wondering about that now, will you be disappointed after spending a bunch of money to have that basswood one redone?
      Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Call Mike Learn.
        Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
          I have a Model (I have no idea, model A?) it's from 88, one humbucker and the floating pos licensed floyd thing..

I recently set out to strip the guitar and re-paint it myself. I've gotten most of the paint off but it's really too time consuming at the moment to continue and i've done a horrible job.

So I'm wonder who is out there that'll refinish a charvel that's already mostly stripped of paint, or for the cost would it be better to just talk to Slash, but a replacement body and have a nice fresh paint job put on it.

I really don't care for basswood. but on the other hand this guitar was purchased for me as a bribe not to go see Def Leppard at the cow palace on the hysteria tour so there's sentimental value there.

any suggestions? I'm sure with better pickups the thing would sound fine.. i just don't know if paying someone to strip paint before repainting is worth the cost.
          I bet quite a few of us have one of these in the closet. In my case it's a maple body, but it's either and Aria or a JB Player. I knew the body was maple, but I wanted to see what the grain looked like. It turned out being a 4 piece body with a thin 1/8" maple cap (to prevent seams from showing if the different pieces of maple shrank different amounts). I wish they did this with my SL2H. It's not easy but I can see the seams on the Bengal paint.

Anyways, I'm sure plenty of painting places get our failed attempts at stripping/re-finishing.

And explain more about missing the concert. Not that I liked Def Leppard after Pyro, but you missed out on a lot of pungtang.

Comment

Originally posted by Tekky View Post
            Call Mike Learn.

+1
            1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom
            Jackson SLATQH
            Jackson DK2M Inferno Red
            Jackson DK2M With a Learn Custom Paint Job
            Jackson DKMGT (project)
            Kramer Focus 1000
            Ibanez SDGR Bass
            Ovation Celebrity
            Martin Backpacker

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post

And explain more about missing the concert. Not that I liked Def Leppard after Pyro, but you missed out on a lot of pungtang.
              Well I was wasn't quite 18 yet, bought the tickets. The parents flipped at the idea of me going to the cow palace (we used to live in SF and some friends and family had a really bad dealing out there) so I was bribed with a Charvel to sell my ticket and wait for them to play somewhere else. I took the deal. Up until then I was playing a takaminianeini however it's spelled explorer knock off that played and felt like ass.

sadly Steve Clark passed away a couple years later and I never got to see him play live. I actually call that charvel my shame guitar cause i feel kind of ashamed of missing me chance of seeing one of my guitar heros.

yeah, my friends who went to the show said that the number of women at that show was unbelievable.

Comment

Call Mike Learn.
                I dunno, if I call Mike I would rather send him a nice clean new body. I feel like a douche calling him and saying "Hi Mike. I'm a turd. can you fix my mistake?" hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
                  I dunno, if I call Mike I would rather send him a nice clean new body. I feel like a douche calling him and saying "Hi Mike. I'm a turd. can you fix my mistake?" hehe.
                  It's all in how you look at it.

Personally I'd throw up the Learnsignal and say, "Hey Mikey, can you paint me a guitar to make the bozos on the JCF drool?" He'd take care of it, as evidenced many times on this forum, Mike does incredible work.
                  Occupy JCF

Comment

It's all in how you look at it.

Personally I'd throw up the Learnsignal and say, "Hey Mikey, can you paint me a guitar to make the bozos on the JCF drool?" He'd take care of it, as evidenced many times on this forum, Mike does incredible work.
                    Oh I know, but I'm not sure this body is worth it though. I think I may just finally order the body from Slash and then talk to Mike. then at least he's not polishing a turd (and sorry for me basswood is a turd) it'll just no longer be a model series charvel

Comment

Or you could complete the task as a lesson in patience. Smooth out the rough spots and chunks that were taken out of the wood and use it as a learning experience.

I rushed through a stripping process once and wish now that I had taken my time - maybe even a few weeks. I ended up using a powered sander and chipping the body up pretty bad. So I just covered it in camo fabric and stuck it in a box.

Basswood's not so bad - there's good and bad basswood just like there's good and bad maple, mahogany, alder, poplar, and ash. The Model series got good wood. The Charvette's and Hondos got bad wood (for the most part).
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                      X