Custom Shop turn around time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Shop turn around time.

I want an explanation as to why it takes so long to get a guitar made once it is ordered and the order has made it to the shop. As far as I can see the only things that might take a moderate amount of time is the drying processes. Such as paint, clear coat, and adhesives.

Are these builders truly building everything from scratch? Are they sourcing then purchasing all the hardware and other componenets separately such as fret wire, bridge, nut, screws, tuners y'know all the "stuff" that goes onto a guitar for each individual guitar, or do they have a stockpile of available of basically everything they need?

I mean C'mon, are they winding the damn strings by hand?

I'm of the opinion that it should take at the most 2 months for a guitar to be built from start to finish.

If it is a natural finished guitar, even less time.
    What gives?

Seriously.
    Last edited by bombtek; 05-14-2009, 11:09 AM.
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

You need to take into account where YOUR guitar order is in relation to all the other orders.
    We all start at the bottom of the pile.
    -Rick

Comment

I guess if all the guys are sitting around waiting for your order to come in. And they have nothing else to work on but your guitar.
      Hail yesterday

Comment

First, they have to grow the trees, as no ordinary tree will do. These trees are lovingly watered with Mike Shannon's urine, which contains extreme amounts of mojo. This takes a while, obviously, because Mike can only drink so much beer in a day and still function at work.

Once the trees have finished growing, they cut them down with a pocket knife - in fact, the very same knife which they then use to whittle your guitar's basic shape.

Once they've got it whittled down to the basic shape, they sand the guitar by hand into the final form using 3000-grit sandpaper. This retains the proper amount of "mojo" which is otherwise lost when using coarser-grain paper.

Binding and inlay work is completed using an electron microscope and surgical instruments, and everything is glued together using a glue made from Mike Shannon's fingernail and toenail clippings, again, due to the extreme mojo content.

Next, they paint the guitar using a magnifying glass and a single-strand horsehair brush. This allows the finest gloss and minimal thickness of finish- essential for mojo retention.

Once the base coat is laid down, a fine mist of of clear coat is sprayed on the guitar ONLY on odd-numbered days. In around 6 months, a sufficient layer of clear is built up, and the finish is hand rubbed to a high gloss using Q-tips and rubbing compound.

Finally, the mounting holes are drilled, guitar is assembled, and then inspected. After inspection, the factory guys rock out on it regularly until you call a few times to complain about what the hell is taking so long, at which time they send it to you, the customer, and you are damned glad to have your guitar finally.

And now, you know!

Comment

Originally posted by bombtek View Post
          I'm of the opinion that it should take at the most 2 months for a guitar to be built from start to finish.
          On what facts do you base that opinion? Seriously. I'm trying to be a jerk but how many hours do you think it takes to build a guitar from raw wood. You can also factor in whether the body and neck and CNC'd or done by hand.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
            First, they have to grow the trees, as no ordinary tree will do. These trees are lovingly watered with Mike Shannon's urine, which contains extreme amounts of mojo. This takes a while, obviously, because Mike can only drink so much beer in a day and still function at work.

Once the trees have finished growing, they cut them down with a pocket knife - in fact, the very same knife which they then use to whittle your guitar's basic shape.

Once they've got it whittled down to the basic shape, they sand the guitar by hand into the final form using 3000-grit sandpaper. This retains the proper amount of "mojo" which is otherwise lost when using coarser-grain paper.

Binding and inlay work is completed using an electron microscope and surgical instruments, and everything is glued together using a glue made from Mike Shannon's fingernail and toenail clippings, again, due to the extreme mojo content.

Next, they paint the guitar using a magnifying glass and a single-strand horsehair brush. This allows the finest gloss and minimal thickness of finish- essential for mojo retention.

Once the base coat is laid down, a fine mist of of clear coat is sprayed on the guitar ONLY on odd-numbered days. In around 6 months, a sufficient layer of clear is built up, and the finish is hand rubbed to a high gloss using Q-tips and rubbing compound.

Finally, the mounting holes are drilled, guitar is assembled, and then inspected. After inspection, the factory guys rock out on it regularly until you call a few times to complain about what the hell is taking so long, at which time they send it to you, the customer, and you are damned glad to have your guitar finally.

And now, you know!
            Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
            Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
              On what facts do you base that opinion? Seriously. I'm trying to be a jerk but how many hours do you think it takes to build a guitar from raw wood. You can also factor in whether the body and neck and CNC'd or done by hand.
              That's why it was stated as an opinion . I don't need any facts to substantiate it. ........ya jerk

Seriously, I really do believe that all of the above should be accomplised within less than two months .....done by hand.... These guys are pros at this and should have it down pat by now.
              Last edited by bombtek; 05-14-2009, 12:52 PM.
              I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

In all honestly, given the know how, the supplies, and the facilities, I really do think that it should take no longer than two months to make one. If you don't like my opinion, I don't really care if you all agree with it or not. I think (I reiterate) I think, that the CS takes entirely too long to make what they make. especially as these guys have all of the things needed.

Hey VitaminG, no I do not think that my guitar is the only one thta they have to work on ya fuckin smartass .

Matter of fact, I do not even have an order in. Mine was a purely hypothetical question as to why it takes so long. I still have yet to receive a credible answer on this. Errrr unless MakeAJazzNoiseHere is somebody in the know and is actually posting how it really is.

Comment

I just thought of one redeeming quality of the (what I feel is ridiculously) long wait for a CS to be delivered.

Someone that orders one can now save up the money (which I am sure is quite a lot) for it and have it paid off prior to delivery.

Comment

Sorry if I sound cynical on this thread, I really do want to know the why's of this. that's all. I'm not looking to attack the CS for it's practices, I just want to know why. No need for anyone to be defensive because they just plunked down a huge amount of cash and is waiting for the guitar of their dreams to arrive and feel it is worth the wait.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                      You need to take into account where YOUR guitar order is in relation to all the other orders.
                      We all start at the bottom of the pile.
                      And I overlooked this reply.

THIS is a credible reason IF there is an overabundance of CS orders waiting to be filled.

Of course there wouldn't be an overwhelming amount of orders if the turnaround time was more reasonable

It is a vicious circle dammit!!!

Comment

Are you talking bolt on or neck-thru?

Comment

Originally posted by Jason1212 View Post
                          Are you talking bolt on or neck-thru?
                          Either or.

They both take too damn long!!

Comment

Doesnt the custom shop also do the select models?

Comment

The question begs to be asked, how do you know that there aren't a large load of CS orders? Does the Charvel or Jackson sites list how many CS orders are "in the hopper"?
                              Occupy JCF

Comment

Working...
                              X