Questions about a pawn shop Charvel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about a pawn shop Charvel.

Hello. I'm considering a Charvel I've found in a pawnshop. I'm new to Charvels, but know a lot about guitars in general. Here's the deal:

-$115 plus tax, with "hardshell" case. The guitar is in rough condition. Haven't seen the case.

-Fort Worth era Model Series, not sure which one.

-Maple fretboard

-Hum/single/single Jackson pickups

-Electric blue.

-Five-way switch.

-JT 6 trem . . . and here's where the fun starts.

The trem is missing a few parts, and one of the saddles doesn't sit level. It is rusted all to hell. I was able to make each of the fine tuners turn, after lots of effort. The locking "nut" (behind the nut locks) does not lock; missing one of the plates, the others are worn.

Even without using the trem or bending strings, I could not get the guitar to play in tune for any length of time.

I can justify the $115 bucks . . . but only if I'm not going to have to sink another couple of hundred into this guitar to make it play in tune. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know options for replacing bridges, parts, etc. I don't mind buying some screws, but I don't want to have to buy a new Floyd.

What do you think?

I know that a couple of new tuners is only gonna cost you about $30-$40 strings probably bout $15 Any info on which model?
    Gear

Jackson DXMG
    Jackson JS30RR
    Boss ML2 Metalcore Pedal
    Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
    Blackstar HT5H
    Marshall MC212

Gear I want

Jackson RR1T Black
    Marshall JCM 800 2203
    Marshall 1960A Cab

Comment

Sounds like a model 3M.JT-6's you can find on ebay pretty easily.The locking pads for the nut are easy to fix with a file if they are worn.I'm sure people around here have a few extras if you need one.
      The model series are made in Japan 86-88.
      Great guitars IMO but that one sounds beat and yes you will have to put a few dollars into it to get it back up to playing condition.
      An original Floyd Rose will drop in no problem but the string spacing is wider on the OFR just a little.
      I would pay that for it as a fixer upper.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

$15 for strings!? Hell no. Ain't a string made worth that much

Save your money and buy one that won't require that much work to get it playable. However, finding one in such condition might prove difficult. They're over 20 years old, y'know.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
          $15 for strings!? Hell no. Ain't a string made worth that much

Save your money and buy one that won't require that much work to get it playable. However, finding one in such condition might prove difficult. They're over 20 years old, y'know.

Sorry, ain't so good at curreny converting

anyway over here strings are £7 so I'm guessing that would be...... $10?
          Gear

Jackson DXMG
          Jackson JS30RR
          Boss ML2 Metalcore Pedal
          Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
          Blackstar HT5H
          Marshall MC212

Gear I want

Jackson RR1T Black
          Marshall JCM 800 2203
          Marshall 1960A Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Mazz View Post
            Sorry, ain't so good at curreny converting

anyway over here strings are £7 so I'm guessing that would be...... $10?
            I'm the UK and i get my strings for £3.75 a pack. Are yours goldplated??

Comment

Its worth picking up if you can do the work yourself. If you have to have a tech do the fixes it might be more than you want to invest. Parts are inexpensive for the most part.. I'd give it a try...if anything for the learning experience.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.

You guys wouldn't be worred that the JT-6 might not be original, and therefore mounted incorrectly?

Comment

I think it's either a parts mutt or a Model 1C that has had the v-trem replaced with JT-6. The only maple-boarded Model Series guitar that had the JT-6 was the Model 4M, but it had 3 mini-toggles rather than a 5-way switch. If it is a modded 1C, it should have a slot in the trem access cover (if it still has the cover) for feeding the strings through the original v-trem, plus if you look closely under the front edge of the trem baseplate you should be able to see the 6 mounting screw holes for the old trem. Here is the '88 sales flyer with the 1C and 4M:

Comment

If you decide against the purchase, please PM me and tell me the location of the guitar. I'd snap it up for $115. (I'm in Suffolk. )

The rust can be killed with WD40 I spose, or fine silicon lube...new locknut parts are not to hard to source, ebay is your friend.

Why would you need to spend hundreds to fix it up? How much is wrong? If you want a real Original Floyd rose then it will cost about !80 or something crazy. But there's a lot more types of floyds for sale cheaper than that, and most are pretty good.
                    http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                      I think it's either a parts mutt or a Model 1C that has had the v-trem replaced with JT-6. The only maple-boarded Model Series guitar that had the JT-6 was the Model 4M, but it had 3 mini-toggles rather than a 5-way switch. If it is a modded 1C, it should have a slot in the trem access cover (if it still has the cover) for feeding the strings through the original v-trem, plus if you look closely under the front edge of the trem baseplate you should be able to see the 6 mounting screw holes for the old trem. Here is the '88 sales flyer with the 1C and 4M:

http://audiozone.dk/cm/displayimage....278&fullsize=1
                      I was gonna say. Model 3m? Would have been nice but it was never made. I agree with your mutt theory. Probably a model 3c with the model 1 neck. I dont know if the 3c is in the catalog but Ive seen a few HSS model 3's with no pickguard. There was just a nice looking jt-6 on ebay for $50.

Comment

Good call. A Model 3 with an added Model 1 neck is probably the most likely way this one was put together. Didn't say this in my first post, but I'd grab it at $115. The trem issue shouldn't be too hard or costly to fix.

Comment

DG, you're brilliant.

It does indeed have the slot in the trem access cover, as well as the six holes. The holes I noticed as being odd, but I'm so used to looking at Strats that the string slot in the trem cover didn't stand out.

So that makes it a 1C? Does this mean that either a vintage bridge or JT-6 can fit on this guitar? The odd looking route still scares me.

Thanks so much!

Comment

The route had to be enlarged for the JT-6, so going back to v-trem would require cosmetic work. Now that you've determined that the trem is added, there are a couple of concerns. First thing is to make sure it was installed straight, in correct alignment, and in the right spot intonation-wise. If it was installed with the screw-in posts rather than with bushings, this can occasionally be a problem in softer-wood guitars like the Model Series, which were made of basswood. The screw-in posts can get loose or even start to lean forward due to the tension. Just go over it carefully.

Comment

There are bushings. I noticed them because they're so corroded they are green.

I don't really mind cosmetic flaws (holes, etc). I guess I could go for it, and if the JT-6 didn't work, I could just live with the ugly v-trem. This is purely for fun, no one will see the guitar but me.

On the other hand, is there an easy way of converting these to a hard tail?

Comment

Working...
                              X