No announcement yet.

If Randy were alive today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, since he was taking lessons from instructors just about everywhere he went while on tour, I doubt it was a credibility issue. Granted people speak more highly of the dead, but if "everyone" - including his mother - said he had a real passion for Classical and wanted to pursue it further away from rock and roll, I have no reason to doubt that's what he'd have done after the Speak Of The Devil/Tribute tour, or at least after the 3rd studio album.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tekky View Post
      Randy's original "Concorde" has some pretty noticable differences from the Rhoads models we know today, doesn't it?

**forgive me if I'm wrong, I am not a Rhoads player. I have one but I rarely play it.
      Yeah, there are numerous differences between Randy's "Concorde" prototype and what was eventually released as the Rhoads Model. Even so, from what I recall, he intended to call the final version of his signature model the Concorde. It wasn't until after his death that the design that went into production was given the Rhoads Model name.

Much like some of the prototype Soloists are much different than the serialized production models but they are all still Soloists.

Comment

I think it was well documented in Rudy Sarzo's book that Randy wasn't going to stay with Ozzy. Aside from that, it's hard to tell which direction Grover would have taken with the "Concorde" had the tragedy never happened.

Newc, can you clear something up for me? The "PCS" you mentioned, is that the black Jackson? I know there were a run of Rhoads with that same title that looked very much like that one. (again, my ignorance is due to my lack of exposure to Rhoads models)
        Last edited by Tekky; 06-11-2009, 06:00 PM.
        Occupy JCF

Comment

Yes, the "PCS" is the black one. The "PCS Rhoads" run was styled (at least cosmetically) after that one - smaller finlays, v-plate, same bridge, etc). It's commonly held that aside from the inlay size, that's the design they settled on when they did the production model in 1990 (accounting for the 1983-1989 models being all "Custom Shop", you could get any neck profile and other specs).
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

yep pcs is the black one. were the 2 for namm jcf-02 style normal sized sharkies or full size? were either or both originally for him? think he would have had a floyded one, maybe a kahler?

Comment

re: classical - I have no doubt thAt randy loved classical guitar, I just think he was talking it up to lend himself legitimacy as a musician. I'm not saying I think he wasn't legitimate, I'm saying he thought he wasn't legitimate. Reading old interviews, it's obvious he was introverted and quiet and probably had a low self esteem - he probably thought what he was doing with izzy wasn't legitimAte so he was trying to bolster himself up. I'm not saying that he needed to. Anyway just my thought.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

If Randy were alive today.... I wouldn't have to hear a f**king sqeal every 5 seconds from Mr. Wylde.

Comment

+1
                  Yesterday is history; tomorrow is a mystery; but today is a gift; that's why it is called the present.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                    yep pcs is the black one. were the 2 for namm jcf-02 style normal sized sharkies or full size? were either or both originally for him? think he would have had a floyded one, maybe a kahler?
                    The JCF Rhoads had large reverse sharkies. That would be JCF-01 btw. 02 was Big Red.
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

As far as classical goes, yes he was interested in pursuing it but who knows if its the only thing he would have stuck with. Maybe or maybe not. After all he was also interested in performing in a Rock band even before joining Ozzy. He was in Quiet Riot as a teen. He may have been growing tired of all the sideshow type of stuff with Ozzy as well as having hated doing the Sabbath tunes but maybe he would have formed/joined another Rock band at some point. Perhaps one where he had more control over its direction and been much happier. Again, who knows? Whatever he would have chose to do I'm sure he would have been damn good at it!
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
                        If Randy were alive today.... I wouldn't have to hear a f**king sqeal every 5 seconds from Mr. Wylde.
                        this is actually a weird subject for me. I wish rhoads was alive because i love him, but the what wouldve happened to jackson thing? I LIVE MY LIFE for jackson, but without this hindsight, i wouldn't know what i was missing. But i also LOVE and admire zakk alot. True, the pinches are a bit over used, and while almost all of his work sounds similar, its all good, but i think if rhoads had lived wylde wouldve eventually made it. because whether you like or hate the guy, you gotta admit, that mans got talent!
                        I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

If Rhoads was alive today... You girlies wouldn't be whining right now!
                          Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
                          Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

If Randy was alive today, the "remastered" first couple of albums would probably have had the guitar tracks re-recorded as well....

Comment

I think Randy would definitely have pursued opportunities in the Classical world.... how far he would get in that field ... who knows? But yeah... all indications point towards him taking at least a brief break from Rock / Metal and focusing purely on Classical.

But I also think it likely that eventually he would be back doing the Rock / Metal band thing.... just like Alex Skolnick and his excursion into Jazz.... but he is now back with Testament.

Going into a different style that is in many ways more demanding and basically starting over again (with a far more discerning audience)... vs coming back to a style that he was already very successful in... I think most famous players in that position would come back to the previous style eventually... if only for a few short years.

- Leo.

Comment

Maybe he would have moved to Europe and done the Neo-Classical Metal thing over there with Yngwie and/or Uli Roth?

And it's my understanding Skolnick wanted to "try" Jazz, whereas Rhoads wanted to "pursue" Classical.

There's a world of difference in the intention: Randy had stated he was getting bored with rock, and wanted to study Classical more in-depth. That's a bit different than "trying" Classical, so I doubt he would have returned to the "simplistic" stuff he did with Ozzy, even for a reunion gig, unless he had total control of the music, to make it more what he was hearing in his head at the time, which could have been a more orchestrated affair. Granted it wouldn't sound anything like the records, but I get the sense that he would look on those recordings with the same disdain he had for Sabbath songs, and for the same reasons.

But getting back to the spirit of the original post:
                                Let's pretend Rhoads was still alive and had become a Gibson endorser, would the Jackson Rhoads be available?

First, yes it would. It launched the Jackson brand name. You can't abandon the flagship, even if it means paying royalties to its namesake. People initially flocked to Jackson because of Randy Rhoads.

Would the Concorde be a production model? Maybe, but then that was a prototype, not the final version. From waht's been said, Randy didn't want anything of his released unless it was "finished" - no "works in progress" and such. He wanted people to hear his best stuff, not the stuff he wasn't pleased with.
                                Given that, I'm assuming the same would hold true for the guitar - he would have wanted "us" to play the same model he was playing, which would have been something similar to the PCS - maybe even the 83 NAMM.

Since it's basically "his" model, he would/could argue for or against certain specs for the production or limited run models, like Morton does. Not sure if Cavestany has any say on his Death Angel model, though, so maybe, maybe not.

I find it doubtful Randy would have become a Gibson endorser, at least not to the point of exclusivity. The Concorde combined the elements of his Les Paul Custom with radical styling to match his playing. I think he would've stuck with Jackson, though I'm sure Gibson would've thrown a ton of money at him to get him to sign the contract.

However, that would mean Les Paul Customs would cost $5000 now, not just $3K.

As for the Floyd vs Kahler vs v-trem, he has been quoted as saying the Floyd Rose keeps tune better than the Fender-style trem. Would he have a thousand of them? Probably not. Maybe one or two for the songs that required it, but for the most part I bet he'd have the fixed-bridge, as the trem itself by nature is more of a gimmick for the kiddies than an actual serious musical tool (at least in rock and roll).
                                Last edited by Newc; 06-12-2009, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X