The art of compromising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The art of compromising

I read a lot of the threads where someone is whining about Jackson not doing Gibson shapes. More specifically the roundhorn Vs.

How come someone hasn't come up with an offset V (IE Rhoads) that is rounded?

For those who want the firebird, isn't the King Kobras just a reversed pointed version of it? If not, how come someone hasn't designed a pointed version of the firebird already?
    Last edited by Tekky; 06-19-2009, 05:40 PM.
    Occupy JCF

Compromise is not something many are willing to do when it comes to the guitar shapes they want. It's always going to bug you if it's not exactly what you want.

Compromise is exercised when it comes down to convincing the wife that said guitar purchase is actually necessary.

Comment

But if you're that rigid, then why not just buy a damn Gibson already?
      Occupy JCF

Comment

Gibson (or was it Epiphone) did a rounded version of a Rhoads a few years back. I can't remember the model name offhand.
        And wouldn't a pointy version of the Firebird be an Explorer?
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Tekky View Post

Pointy headstock, 24 frets, compound radius fretboard. There are many reasons. Plus a round horn offset V looks like ass.
          http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Well that's like asking 'why not just buy a KV instead of a roundhorn'? A dinky instead of a strat?

Because it's not what the guy or gal in question wants, and when you're paying 3k for a custom guitar, for me personally, compromise shouldn't be something you 'have' to do.
            Popular is not the same as good
            Rare is not the same as valuable
            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              I always considered it a Kelly.
              Occupy JCF

Comment

Gibson (or was it Epiphone) did a rounded version of a Rhoads a few years back. I can't remember the model name offhand.
                Found the slightly rounded version of the Rhoads... an Epiphone Demon.
                http://www.guitar-museum.com/guitar-...LECTRIC-GUITAR

And Carvin did a rounded Rhoads called the Ultra V. Though, it's a reverse Rhoads body, and it was available also as a pointy.

Comment

I always considered it a Kelly.
                  The Kelly is the more pointy version of the Explorer, true, but the Firebird seems like a rounded off version of the Explorer to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Napalm View Post
                    Pointy headstock, 24 frets, compound radius fretboard. There are many reasons. Plus a round horn offset V looks like ass.
                    Wouldn't Gibson custom do what you want? It wouldn't be the Jackson headstock, but they could do the Explorer headstock.
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

The Kelly is the more pointy version of the Explorer, true, but the Firebird seems like a rounded off version of the Explorer to me.
                      I was thinking more like the King Kobra as a corrlation for the firebird.
                      Occupy JCF

Comment

I think a lot of people who have the kind of money to purchase a custom build from a company like Jackson are also looking at the quality of the build and options available. Not just the overall shape.

Unfortunately, Gibson doesn't have a very good track record in either department.

Comment

The King Kobra was more of a pointy star shape.
                          http://www.jcfonline.com/Gallery/jac...-pointies.html

Comment

Wouldn't Gibson custom do what you want? It wouldn't be the Jackson headstock, but they could do the Explorer headstock.
                            Never tried. Always wanted it to be a Jackson.
                            http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

I agree with Tekky. I'd truly rather people buy Jackson shapes from Jackson and stop all this Gibson-shapes talk. Give up already. You missed out. Let those days rest in peace and move on.

Yes, fine, you want a Firebird with 24 frets and compound radius and Floyd and all that. You missed it, it's over, move on.

You want a Roundhorn V with sharkfins and Jackson headstock and your big "guitars I wanted when I was a kid" collection. It's gone, you missed it, move on.

You want the Explorer with the 5A quilted top and abalone zigzag inlays and string through and a fuzzy hole in the back to rub your knob against.
                              Let it go already.
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X