The art of compromising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toejam View Post
    I think he's talking about that Epiphone Demon I posted that reminds him of the Kramer Vanguard.
    If that's the case, then he has my apologies.
    Occupy JCF

Comment

They at least got a cool new shape when Mark Morton designed his MM1 Dominion, which resembles a Firebird a tiny bit. One of the best guitars they've ever put out, too, even if some people don't care for the shape.
      I think it looks more like an amoeba than anything else.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Dude. Imagine the Ibanez Blade V thing, but offset

Comment

The Duesenberg Rocket II has the rounded Rhoads shape. They made a V but had to change the design because Gibson wasn´t happy with it.

Comment

a hamer scepter shaped jackson, hell hamer wont make then anymore. thats almost a pointy explorer /firebird shape

Comment

The key to not having to compromise is simple:
              Find an independent builder and get pretty much anything you like sans the logo. If you are worried about the logo then you are going to settle for what they offer.
              An independent builder won't cost any more than going through the brand name custom shops and you get a truly one of a kind guitar out of the deal.
              You get to deal with the builder one on one and can be very explicit with what you want and how you want it. The build time is usually much shorter since you're not waiting for 200 other custom orders to be done before yours.

If you are worried about resale value down the road then just go buy something off the rack and call it good. True custom shop guitars are built to fit the individual ordering them...not every Tom,Dick, and Harry that comes along afterwards and the resale value will be on the buyer side of the market not the sellers side.

Don't expect the brand name builders to build you something from their competitors lines. It's not cost efficient for them or for you and it runs into legal issues and other complications.

All the major name brands have spent countless hours in R&D and marketing to see if building something that looks like the competition will help their bottom line and be truly profitable.
              There are schools, and build workshops like Mike Learns that will teach you how to truly build a one of a kind custom guitar that is made just for you and if it's wrong then the only person you can bitch about is you since you built it the way you wanted it.

Comment

You guys can compromise all you want with your shitty wanna-be almost there just enough to keep the lawyers happy guitars.

When I spend my money I dont compromise. All my guitars are rare one offs that you cant buy anymore because of one bullshit rule or the other but at least I can look at them and know I got what I want. Some took 10 years plus of searching but I got them.

Eveytime time I compromised I got stuck with something I did not like because there was always something "better" out there.

Just like I look at people that ordered a ESP EX model and think to myself sucks for them they should of got a real ESP explorer but they compromised with a ugly guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
                  You guys can compromise all you want with your shitty wanna-be almost there just enough to keep the lawyers happy guitars.
                  Its kind of like going to a Chevey dealer and then whining and stamping your feet because they don't sell Mustangs.
                  Blank yo!

Comment

Found the slightly rounded version of the Rhoads... an Epiphone Demon.
                    http://www.guitar-museum.com/guitar-...LECTRIC-GUITAR

And Carvin did a rounded Rhoads called the Ultra V. Though, it's a reverse Rhoads body, and it was available also as a pointy.

That Epiphone doesn't look rounded to me, just looks pretty much like a normal Rhoads.

Those Carvin guitars are as ugly as hell - not just this one, but the ones like an upside down Kelly or whatever it is.
                    Like someone wanted a cool metal guitar but designed it while listening to Stryper with their grandparents.
                    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                      Its kind of like going to a Chevey dealer and then whining and stamping your feet because they don't sell Mustangs.
                      Apples and oranges. If I go to the Ford Dealer and cry about them not selling any Shelby Gt500s anymore than at least they take note and may offer them again which in fact they do now.

Its not like we are asking for something they NEVER offered but like I said if you want to compromise and get a shitty guitar go for it.

Comment

But Chevy cannot make the Shelby GT500, can they? Nor can Toyota.

BECAUSE IT'S FORD'S FUCKING PROPERTY, JUST LIKE THE FIREBIRD AND EXPLORER AND ROUNDHORN V ARE GIBSON'S FUCKING PROPERTY.

WTF can people not understand that? Yes Jackson did it before. The owner of that design said "don't build my fucking design anymore", and it's over.

And Mark Morton didn't design the MM1. It was based on the Jackson OutCaster/Surfcaster designs from the mid-late 90s. He may have spec'd the knobs and woods, but the outline of the body came from existing Jackson models, not the Firebird.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                          And Mark Morton didn't design the MM1. It was based on the Jackson OutCaster/Surfcaster designs from the mid-late 90s. He may have spec'd the knobs and woods, but the outline of the body came from existing Jackson models, not the Firebird.
                          Well, he actually did design it based off of the Swee-Tone Jazz'R. He came up with the drawing on a napkin on the tour bus, I believe. The Outcaster/Surfcasters are not the same shape.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Really? I thought it was stated once he based the shape on the OC he used to have and the other specs on the Jazz'R?

Hmph. Learn something new every day
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I don't think he had an OC. Although, the SC/OC bodies are really not too far off. He did have one of the Strat-shaped SweeTones and kind of based the neck off of that and the body more from a Jazz'R from what I remember reading. I think there was an article on Jackson's site awhile ago that said he drew it up on a napkin and took it in to them.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                                But Chevy cannot make the Shelby GT500, can they? Nor can Toyota.

BECAUSE IT'S FORD'S FUCKING PROPERTY, JUST LIKE THE FIREBIRD AND EXPLORER AND ROUNDHORN V ARE GIBSON'S FUCKING PROPERTY.

WTF can people not understand that? Yes Jackson did it before. The owner of that design said "don't build my fucking design anymore", and it's over.
                                Well said.
                                Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                                X