Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ethics concerning OnlineStageGear.com... THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethics concerning OnlineStageGear.com... THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!

Don't worry, it's nothing bad!!

As many of you know, I am considering purchasing a SLATQH. We all know that Matt quotes the best prices.

But, I was wondering something. Let's say that I call up a few of my local music stores and ask them how much they could sell me a new SLATQH for. If the price is higher than Matt's prices, am I allowed to say, "But www.OnlineStageGear.com is willing to sell it to me for much less than what you're quoting me", and then give the price?

It's really concerning the ethics of everything. Am I allowed to:

a) Mention Matt's website?
    b) Mention the price he's willing to sell the guitar for?

Honestly, I'm not trying to take business away from Matt, as we all know he's a totally stand-up guy, but my freaking parents want me to do all this "research" before doing business on the internet in which I cannot see, hear, or play the guitar beforehand. Quite honestly, I don't know what I would do if the guitar arrived scratched/broken. I've only bought T-shirts off the net (as you may know, my parents aren't very liberal with buying stuff off the internet yet).

I am 99% sure that the local music stores will give the retail price or higher on the SLATQH. This is why I asked about the ethics. My parents just want to be sure I get the lowest prices and prefer if I can see the guitar before I put money down on the smooth glass countertop.

Thanks for all the help. I want to do the right thing.

[ June 03, 2003, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Number Of The Priest ]

Re: Ethics concerning OnlineStageGear.com... THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!

Why bother at all? If the price is cool with you, why not help a forum brother out and patronize OSG? What's the point of shopping around if you already know what you want and Matt has it, do it......

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pat

Comment

Low price isn't everything. Think about delivery times, in stock selection, and most importantly customer service. I'd gladly pay a bit more from the little guy just to give a big FU to the chain stores that treat customers like crap.

Comment

Freakin' parents! [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I agree with that 100% VB! WORD!!!!

I'm the same with most things...

Pat

Comment

Yes, freakin' parents is right. And I plan to purchase a Carvin next summer too. Obviously, it will be direct from www.Carvin.com.

What my parents ideally want me to do is to have one of the local music stores specially order me a SLATQH at a price that beats Matt's. This way, they say, I can do a "final inspection" on the guitar before forking over my hard-earned summer job cash, and if it's broken or something, I don't have to pay anybody anything. I do agree with my parents in this way.

They are scared that my guitar will arrive from OSG possibly scratched/mistreated/broken when shipped from OSG because I have never seen/heard/played the guitar I would be receiving. And I'd be scared too. For example, how would I get my money back if it arrived in an abysmal condition? Since I've never bought anything large/nice/expensive over the internet before, I've never had to deal with broken items in the mail before.

If I was living by myself, I would not hesitate to buy from Matt. Living under this roof is the death of me internet-purchasewise. I'd be buying a whole whack of nice sh*t if it wasn't for my parents being all paranoid and stuff. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Low price isn't everything. Think about delivery times, in stock selection, and most importantly customer service. I'd gladly pay a bit more from the little guy just to give a big FU to the chain stores that treat customers like crap

[img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Look at it this way, I won't charge a higher price to someone just cause I think he doesn't know any better. There are too many people out there charging retail for stuff and people pay it because they don't know any better.

Enough tooting of my own horn...

Matt

Comment

Yes, true, but will the jerks at the local stores be as noble in quality as you are, Matt? THAT, you see, is the question!

Again, curses to the parents who suppress me, except they brought me into this world, so that much I give them credit for.

Comment

Just a little addition:

I will have to phone around and the bare minimum is to ask about the stores' prices on the SLATQH. So, there are no "ifs", "ands", or "buts" about it. I have to call whether I like it or not. As long as I live under this roof, I will do as they request in order to score myself a new guitar. This was the advice given to me on a previous post concerning my parents' lack of faith in internet purchases. Always respect the elders.

Now, whether it is ethical to mention Matt's website and prices is what I would like to know. I will not mention them if it is not ethical. I will just simply tell my parents that, and they will have to live with the fact that I will be purchasing from OSG.

Lots of other scenarios to consider besides the good replies already suggested above. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I don't think it is a mater of ethics, but without mentioning a competitors price to someone, you will get the true price comparisons to think about.

If a store thinks you haven't done your homework or thinks you don't know any better, they will always try and get more $$.

Comment

True. But, when my brother ordered his newest bass, he did his research and got one of the guitar stores to match and beat the price of the lowest already. Boy, was that store pissed, especially when he asked for a free hardshell case and a free strap too! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I don't think that store wants us back in there ever again!

Seriously though, because my dad and my brother talked to the owner to bring down the price of the bass to beat the competitor, and the owner agreed to do it. It was a special order bass too, ordered straight from the company that starts with an "I"... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

As far as that store was concerned, my brother and my dad cost them a lot of business. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

mmkay....

My father was kind of nosey about my purchases until one day when I was 13 I told him I was going to do what I wanted to with my money. I was only going to learn lessons with personal experience. He didn't like it, but I stood up for myself and now I am better with money than he is.

[ May 26, 2003, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

I like Matt. He used to sell babies on the black market and... my parents got me off of him very cheap! I turned out real well and didn't cost my parents a whole lot. His prices can't be beat! Plus, he made sure I had a new diaper and was well lemon oiled before he sent me off. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Toe...you are cool bud, but you have issues....I'll tell ya what they are when I stop laughing....you kill me......

You [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X