Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ethics concerning OnlineStageGear.com... THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ethics concerning OnlineStageGear.com... THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!

Trust me when I say that testimonials don't do anything for my parents. They're not swayed by them. I've run by the fact that tons of people have ordered from Matt and there have been no disappointments. Somehow my parents believe I'm going to be the first and only one to be swindled, or receive a damaged/destroyed guitar, despite the flawless record so far. But, you've given me a few more points I can argue: Matt probably checks out the guitars religiously before shipping, and then packs them properly, making sure all paperwork is in order to protect everybody.

I'm easily swayed by testimonials, even from other "faceless anonymous" people on the internet, but my parents are the weirdest shoppers I've ever known. Hopefully I've got enough firepower so far to bring themdown.

I received a reply from Matt on how long it would take for him to receive a SLATQH. As soon as I give him the go-ahead, it will take at least a couple of months yet. So, no real rush right now.

Comment

Like it or not we are getting more and more into internet sales than local shop sales. I wouldn't have but two C/J's if there wasn't an internet. I have over 50 today and 48 were from the internet. There are many, many ways to protect yourself as a buyer. Pay with a credit card, and if there's a problem and the seller won't work it out, have your cc company issue a chargeback. It's really silly for you, Number, to think you'll get a scratched or damaged guitar. I've personally shipped 500 guitars and only two sustained damage. And of those two, only one was a complete loss, the other just needed minor wood work. Matt at OSG is the only dealer you should consider. I won't believe you if any locals can beat his pricing. If you decide to buy local, let me commend you for pumping up our econonmy! Your wasted dollars should help nicely in all aspects of this depression.
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I forgot to address Newc in my reply. I'll clear it up. Let's say a guitar I want to buy costs $500 offered by Matt. My dad says that if the guitar is $1000 or more offered by the local stores, then that's way too much, and we'll "take a risk" by ordering with Matt. I'm not actually sure about the difference it would take for my parents to allow me to order from Matt, but rest assured it is not less than $100. It would have to be quite a significant increase for the local price for me to forget ordering from the local stores.

That's probably a little clearer now. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Whoever mentioned "headache medicine" is damn right. If it's not worth the trouble, I'll probably wait until I move out to binge on internet guitar purchases. It could be several years, but at least I'd be completely independent. Really, the only thing my parents remotely "control" about me is internet purchasing. I don't have a curfew, no real rules for potential new friends, social drinking is allowed but I choose not to because that's my choice, etc. They're quite liberal except when it comes to the newfangled world of internet purchases.

Comment

hey, well i cant really help you getting your parents to order over the net but i can say i have the same problem with my parents

even ordering smaller items like t shirts, they are convinced that if i order it and pay for shipping etc... it will most likely be the wrong size and i will have to pay more shipping to return it and lose money

they were all for me searching around all the shops for a better deal on the jackson i origonally intended getting even though i was going to order through a shop in england (www.regentguitars.co.uk) i am a member of the forum and know they take pride in their customer service, they take time ti give every guitar a proper setup (£57) before sending out, some places dont even open the box so overall i would rather pay a bit more and get it from somewhere i know about and am confident ordering from, like ordering from matt (i live in the uk so there is tax and other problems ordering from overseas)
          in the end i found a great deal locally on a bc rich so i never got the guitar, i wsa shopping in the 6 months there were no jackson in the uk, i couldnt find one anywhere regardless of good service or pricing

i know your problems and i hope you can gt the guitar without too much trouble

David

Comment

I don´t see any problems mention Matt´s price in your local store.I live in norway and i remember some years ago i saw an ad in metal hammer offering Bc Rich warlocks for 199 $ so i went to a local store and asked them how much a Bc Rich warlock costed and they said there were various prices from 20000 - 30000 kr (2000 - 3000 $ i think..).So i showed him the ad and he was like Wow that was really cheap.Buy it.He probably didn´t know much about Bc Rich.neigher did i (still know little) but the modell i saw in the ad was probably a cheap korean/jap modell and the Bc Rich guitars they were selling was probably Us models or something..
            Anyway none of us knew that..Still he would never sell me a Bc Rich from their store that cheap.

Go to the store or call them and ask for their price and then when they tell you,you say Ha forget it onlinestagegear.com has it for $$$
            less i´ll rather buy it from there bye...

Comment

Ive been on the forums (old and new) for pushing like 2 years now, and Ive heard nowt but crazy praise for Matt. Not a bad word against him.

James

Comment

NOTP, How old are ya?

Curious....
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I'm nineteen, turning twenty in September. I can't afford to move out quite yet since I'm in university, and nothing quite beats the comfort of my own bed at home!

Well, here's an update. Matt has told me the price for the guitar and the price for shipping (no free shipping for me because I'm not a resident of the continental United States). I will call the local stores tomorrow morning or afternoon (depending on how busy I am at work) and ask them about their prices. One step at a time is how I'll be doing this. I'll provide another update after I've bartered with the stores and talked with my folks. Next step after that would probably be a phone call to Matt.

Thanks for the support and input!

Comment

If you're overseas, you're going to pay import duties as well based on the price
                    of the guitar. If you're in Canada and it's a USA Jackson you won't pay duties,
                    but if it an import you WILL, due to the
                    terms of NAFTA. Factor that into your end price if applicable.
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I give thanks that I'm not overseas. I live in Canada. I guess there's just the fee for bringing it over the border, and for shipping, on top of the price of the guitar.

Comment

I've only been here about 9 months, but I have never read anything but praise for Matt and OSG - and you KNOW folks here will post if they have a gripe, so that says a lot!

I agree that Jackson's consistency is much better than that of their competitors, and when I recently got a lowly DK-2 from AMS (sorry Matt, they have the 3-pay plan - I got in for $150 down) I was really amazed at the quality of guitar my measly $399 got me! The high-line models can only be that much better, as they carry the company's rep directly on their shoulders.

Shipping? Same risks whether you order thru the local store or Matt; in fact, I'd bet Matt would be more forthcoming in helping file claims, etc... in the event of a damaged guitar, because that is his sole business, not a sideline as it is for the local guy.

Your folks are doing right in having you research this, but consider this: you have a wealth of customer references for Matt here at the JCF. How do you think your local store will react if you asked them for customer references? They'd probably decline to give them, and there is a privacy issue for their customers to
                        consider. I would ask around though, to find out how they treat their customers AFTER the sale. The main reason to go local is to check the guitar first, and to be able to look the seller in the eye if there are problems. Fine in theory, but if the guy blows you off once he has your $, then it's more frustrating, because you can't just yank him over the
                        counter and beat customer service into him!

Anyway, good luck with your new guitar!

Edited for spelling

[ May 27, 2003, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: lerxstcat ]
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Preist just have your parents call Matt if they ahve concerns...

As far as fees I just traded for a LP from canada and the insured value coming to me was 2500 the "border fee" was about $31 just as a reference for you
                          I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                          So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

NOTP - not to sound disrespectful, but you're almost 20 years old! GEEZ!! Cut the chord already!! [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img] I mean I could see this whole line of caution if this was your first guitar and you were 14, but good grief!! Sounds like you need to get out of the house, and your folks need to GET WITH IT! [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] Everyone is in it for the $$$ these days, and it's just as easy to get taken advantage of by the "Ma & Pa" shops. If someone is gonna get taken, it could happen as easily by the person down the street as the person across the country. Tell them to use a credit card - they have fraud protection and all that good stuff!

I used to have this problem with my Dad (he is one of those "local businessmen"), but in the end, money talks. He's come around to that thought after many years of showing him how it is. It's one of the few things he's finally agreed that I'm right about. Your story just frustrates me. I can't believe how stuck in the wrong train of thought they are! I mean why spend an extra 30% just to keep business local? Who are they helping? That's frickin ridiculous! Sounds to me like the only person being helped is the guy selling guitars -- he's helping himself to your money!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by chris_olson:
                              NOTP - but you're almost 20 years old! Cut the chord already!!
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">cord

[img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Although he probably "cuts some chords" when he plays guitar! [img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                                </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by chris_olson:
                                NOTP - but you're almost 20 years old! Cut the chord already!!
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">cord

[img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Although he probably "cuts some chords" when he plays guitar! [img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                                </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I play guitar!! Cut me some slack -- is there another way to spell it?!? Sorry professor - next time I'll pay attention! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X