Need Advice: King V VS. Randy Rhoads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice: King V VS. Randy Rhoads

Well I'm looking to trade my Washburn Dimebag Trendkill guitar for either a King V or a Randy Rhoads guitar. What are my options? I plan to add cash on my end. What models are good? what are the pros and cons of each?, etc. I really like James Hetfield's white King V and Hammet's custom Rhoads, but am open to other guitar advice also.
    Thanks
    Edwin

Well why are you trading it in the first place? If it's the overall "full" v shape then you might want the Rhoads.

Comment

I had a RR1 and it did nose dive a bit. I have a kv1 and it's perfectly balanced. Same will be with the kv2's.

Comment

It mainly just doesn't get played. I'm looking for something that will get more playing time.

Comment

I'm not a big fan of the RR shape. Well, actually, I'm not much of a V-guy in the first place, but I've had both and must say I did prefer the KV, mostly because it had 24 frets. I also preferred the better balance of the KV over the RR. The extra weight on the bottom wing helps keep the nose up without using a strap that relies on friction, which just transfers the pull to your shoulder where it doesn't belong.

As for the options, there's the RR1 (Floyded), RR1T (tuneomatic), KV-2 (Floyded), and KV2T (tuneomatic and 24 3/4" scale) on the USA side.

For the neckthrough imports, there's the RR24 (24 frets, one pickup, Floyd), RR24M (same thing but with a maple fretboard), RR5 (tuneomatic, 22 frets), the Demmel sig V (KV with baby-V wings coming out the ass - 24 frets, Floyd), KV5FR (Floyd), RR5FR (RR5 with Floyd), Kevin Bond RR (one pickup, tuneomatic, Pentagram inlays - discontinued?), and the new Matt Tuck signature RR.

For bolt-ons you've got the RR3, RX10D, JS30RR, KVX10, and JS30KV. No RRMG or KVMG, though. Odd. Gotta be the first model range in Jackson's history that didn't get the Rhoads. WTF?
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The RR seems more comofortable to play for me standing up than the KV. While sitting down with the RR, you have to prop your left leg up a little more in the classical position like Randy did (or use a strap and wear it up higher), but it's not too bad.

Overall, I prefer the RR.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have played a RR1 and RR1t live for years.I have never had a problem with nose diving at all.The RR seems to sit right in the zone as it were for playing.I would say an RR1 or RR1t, but I am a big fan of the KV's too..
              H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

I never had a problem with my RR3 nosediving.
                I think the main consideration for the OP is which look he prefers and which he finds at a good price.
                http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

I think the Rhoads look a bit better IMO, but I'm curious on how close they are, playability wise.. Can anyone give some insight?
                  Originally posted by horns666
                  The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

Both are awesome- you will adapt and love either one. If you like beefy frets go with a RR1, if you have to have 24 frets go with a KV2. It is win/win, you can't go wrong with either one. One difference however is that on an RR1, you rest your pinky finger on the metal plate if you play like that. It feels different but you get use to it, whereas on a KV2 it just the feel of the guitars finish, which to me is why a rear loaded Rhoads is highly desirable. A couple of the imports are rear loaded, but I suggest you go with a USA RR or KV.

Comment

I'd vote KV2, better balance and 24 frets. I've yet to play a USA V. I didn't like the RR24 for it's balance.
                      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I have a gun metal grey usa kv2 and its the best thing ive ever played, IMO for playing sitting down im way more comfortable playing with the kv than a rr cause you just have to rest the lower wing on your ankle and there it goes but for the rhoads you have to be always kinda in a position that isnt comfortable at all.As for playing when standing, my kv2 is just low enough so the v shape just goes around my legs when I walk with it and I think its perfect cause it gives more control but again, if youre playin with it jacked up on the chin, then I dont think it would change anything.never played a rr standing but seriously for gigs I would love a usa rr1 or a rr24 just beautiful guitars all the way around.
                        I wonder what it feels like to have money...

...ahhh fuck it guitars are better!

Comment

I've owned both and the RR1 is a nicer playing guitar IMO. However, it depends on what you're looking for. For some, the 22 frets vs. 24 frets is a big deal. I like the neck on the RR1 a little better than the KV2. However, with either one you'll be making an upgrade over that Washburn.

Comment

I had lots of trouble playing the Rhoads shape sitting down, so it would have to be a King V for me.

Definitely try out both shapes before buying. Don't count out the other shapes too. I find the Kelly to be very comfortable.
                            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by ilbianconero View Post
                              I had a RR1 and it did nose dive a bit. I have a kv1 and it's perfectly balanced. Same will be with the kv2's.
                              Well that is the Strap button Position.... My Rhoads pro, is perfectly balanced and does not nose dive.. I know the rr3 I tried out, nose dived a lot but for some reason my rhoads does not...

I prefer the looks of the Rhoads V over the KV but I do like both though!

Cheers,
                              Charlie
                              Amps
                              1994 Marshall JCM 900 SL-X 2100
                              Line6 Spider 3 30 watt

Guitars
                              1985 Fender Strat MIJ '62 Reissue Fiesta Red
                              2006 Gibson Les Paul Studio Alpine White
                              1992 Jackson Professional Rhoads Pro
                              2005 ESP LTD MHB 400
                              2006 Martin D16 GT

Comment