So... USA soloists vs Imports.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So... USA soloists vs Imports.

I would love some opinions on the real differences between the two guitars.

I know electronics are different so we can get past that right away.

Anybody with experience with both or opinions either way are certainly welcome.

Like SL1 vs SL3

Thanks up front!

Depends which imports and era to some extent, many imports are good, some are quite good, such that it ain't a big deal.

But a USA just has that certain feel where you can tell its a work of art.

Moto and binding are differences on those models too.
    Last edited by Larz; 07-13-2009, 10:23 PM.
    Jackson KV2
    Jackson KE1T
    Jackson KE1F
    Jackson SL1

Comment

Wood quality and craftsmanship.USA ebony fingerboard import rosewood. USA neck binding import none.Neck inlay USA pearl,import MOTO.
      Aside from the import pros of the 90's the USA guitars feel so much nicer much higher quality.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
        Bolt on and binding are differences on those models too.
        There's a bolt on SL3?
        "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

MOJO and binding are differences on those models too.
          Fixed.

Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by stevoc View Post
            There's a bolt on SL3?
            Ha ha, you caught that quick before I edited, was thinking moto and typing bolt for some reason.
            Jackson KV2
            Jackson KE1T
            Jackson KE1F
            Jackson SL1

Comment

I have an import 92' Soloist XL and the craftsmanship is top notch. Other than dings, I haven't founds any flaws in the guitar. The neck is absolutely amazing. I would rate it either close or the same as the USA SL1 I tried. On the other hand, I played an SL3 and it was just not as good. It didn't look as good (The flamed maple looked bad. It was natural with clear), the neck was much thicker and it didn't sound as good. Acoustically it was probably half the volume of my Soloist XL if that means anything to you. It also had a couple finish mess ups, particularly in the tremolo cavity. The lack of binding and the MOP wasn't very nice too. Please note that I tried both of those guitars on the same day ended up buying the XL. The XL was miles better than the SL3 and much cheaper because of its age and the fact that they didn't know what it was.

So in all, I can attest to the awesomeness of Soloist XLs. I would put it up against anything and I would be confident it would do well.
              Last edited by Ben...; 07-13-2009, 11:22 PM.
              "Dear Dr. Bill,
              I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

It's not a regular Soloist, but I've got a SLSMG. The quality is fantastic, and I think if you can find one cheap like I did, you'll make out like a bandit. It's not like they're missing any features, either - they've got EMGs now, 24 fret ebony board, neck-thru. If not for the SLS headstock and pirahnas, I think a lot more people would dig it. I'd certainly get that or the SLS3 over an SL3, but that's me.
                Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

I think the biggest differences between say top of the lne models and guitars around the 1k mark with better hardware pickups etc like the SL3 are things like the attention to detail qulaity of the finish quality of woods and the electronics being of a higher quality on something like an SL1..

I like the feel of my SLS-3 but if I owned a usa model i'm sure that the usa would feel better and probably sound better...

I would love to own an SL2H at some point, but I would like to get different pickups for the sls first the dual 59's are ok but I need something better and i'll be replacing the electronics while im doing that...

A lot of people seem to think that having an SL3 then dumping a real Floyd better pickups etc makes it on a par with a usa model or anything of the high end market it doesent the rosewoods still fugly the inlays are still moto and it still dosent have that finer detail that a usa would..

I know plenty of guys have modified dk2's and dk2m's nice guitars sure, but even with the finest hardware and pickups it's going to be just belowd a usa in many aspects...

Binding for me isnt that much of an issue plenty of good and expensive guitars come without binding, i'd say the woods used and quality of woods is more important.

The only flaws I could find on my sls were the inlays having some gaps/filler around them, which is somewhat confusing as they are square and the eye of the inlays seem to be fine.. the sl2h I saw recently looked flawless especially with the inlays and binding...

I'm sure plenty of guys here get more than enough use out of their guitars that are the higher end of the pro series but they are what they are...

Still the majority of the pro series are excellent guitars, I wouldnt own one if they werent..

Comment

Having 2 "Pro" model professional fusions & an SL1 I'd have to say those 3 are on par with each other. I've played DK2's and while I think they're EXCELLENT for the $$$ you pay for them (used) they don't feel as quality- even getting past the more inexpensive hardware. The one that I spent time with was loaded with Duncan Designed pups- bought it for my brother and only had a few days with it.

I don't mean to denigrate them at all and on balance really think they're the best bang for the buck (used) of the entire line, but they don't "feel" as solid- I don't know what other way to put it. Is that subjective? Sure it is, but I didn't go into it thinking they would feel that different, just as I didn't expect my first fusion to feel so awesome that I had to get another one just in case something happened to it.

The Professional series though in my humble opinion are an absolute steal, although not as cheap as they were just 3 years ago as the rest of the world recognizes how mispriced they were- I got my first one loaded with EMG's for $350 or something.

Also, the MOTO inlays don't bother me as much as the lack of MOP on the headstock. I know it shouldn't be a big deal, but I just love the look of the MOP. If USA's started using Abalone I might go bankrupt however, so maybe I'm just pimpish.
                    Last edited by Vass; 07-14-2009, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Main differences between sl1 and sl3 are also found in quality of the hardware- The Floyd in these newer soloist pro's are FRT 0200's, made in some cost-friendly far-east country, not Original Floyd Rose's.
                      They use propably softer metal alloys in their parts, so the Floyd Rose- logo in these units does'nt mean the real thing.

The '90-'93 Japanese Professional series are amazingly close match to USA made ones, owned an RR Pro '90 while a go.
                      If you want an good Jackson with limited budget, i truly recommend you Pro- series of that era!

Comment

Ha ha, you caught that quick before I edited, was thinking moto and typing bolt for some reason.
                        Whew! I thought deep down in the cellars of the Jackson factory there was a model never displayed to the modern world. We can all rest easy again.
                        "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

Uhm...what's moto? :think:

Comment

MOther of TOilet seat.

It's basically a type of plastic that is produced with swirls that looks similar to mother of pearl.

GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                              MOther of TOilet seat.

It's basically a type of plastic that is produced with swirls that looks similar to mother of pearl.

Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into a rib on Larz thread...all in good fun.

And now....back to our program.

Comment

Working...
                              X